Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

WWE: UK

Paul

WWE has approached Len Davies, the promoter of Real Quality Wrestling, which is based in London, England, about setting up a developmental territory. He was flown by WWE to Detroit for WrestleMania about further discussions. A decision probably won't be made until next month, and WWE are the ones likely making the call. Davies has his own media and production company, not to mention good contacts with people in the U.K. television industry. He is also well enough to cover whatever financial losses the company may entail.

Source PWMania.Com
I got that from the UKFF.

Could be interesting, the RQW production values are pretty good.

Saz

Well, this'll spell the end of the small promotions.

It was nice while it lasted:)

HTFCacc2004

Thats lifted straight from this weeks Observer :)

I'm very unsure over it, the market is over-saturated as it is, as Saz said, will be the end for a lot of promotions

Saz

Take the US for instance, WWE killed off all of the territories and it will probably try to do that with any UK competition, no matter how small, 1PW will probably be their first target.

The problem with WWE quality is that they only have OVW to pool their talent from, so there are no real journeymen anymore.

Like or dislike the UK Scene as the hotbed of useless talent, some of us do take our careers very seriously and roses always grow in sh8t.

With the WWE hitting town, they will probably actively seek to control the market using the courts to shut down other promotions.

I could be wrong, as there are a few promotions out there that do know what they are doing and WWE could also recognise this and cherrypick the talent.

Or they could just be there and not really bother the smaller promotions, troublesome times and a worry for promoters.

Slim Jim

The question I have is this just them wanting an overseas development territory or is the start of their planned global territory expansion that was talked about a while back.

Ronin

RQW has tried to be the father of british wrestling with poor results and is just a reincarnation of FWA. that is why the product is poorly attended and promoted. i think it will just be a london based tv show using the WWE to back it up.
i did have high hopes for RQW but have been disappointed with its results as i thought it was going to be a joint promotions with smaller feds appearing on the shows as well.
but it has become a closed shop a bit and not very open to other feds north of watford.

Last edited:

poison

Ok, As a promoter I can see this one of two ways. The first one has been discussed, the end of the little feds.

Ok, but let me put the other perspective on it.

Ok, If you go to the USA right now, I guarentee you, you will find quite a few indie feds that actually draw decent sized crowds. ROH is an indie fed and isn't effected by Vince McMahons presence in the USA, in fact neither is the AIWF (Medium sized fed in North Carolina) In fact the indie scene is on the up again.Their crowds at the moment are bigger than ever.

Now, With WWE monopolising the wrestling industry, it makes us smaller feds raise our standards in relation to keeping a fan following. Not only that, but the exposure of wrestling as a whole is viewed by a much wider audience now than it ever has been.

Another Point I wish to raise is this. If WWE name RQW as a talent developmental, RQW can still only run one town per night, that leaves 100's of other towns in Britain to be run.(If they tour at all of course) If an indie fed is so stuck to running one town, then yes they are sitting ducks, just waiting to be steam rollered. But we can and should make the most of the forthcoming exposure by taking our feds on tour and taking advantage of the exposure that will be created. Me personally I think it's an exciting time for British Wrestling, lets make the most of it.

jim vs shark

i was surprised to hear this news because apparently international wwe territories were an idea they contemplated for a while, but after the lack of success with tickets during their last uk tour and a host of problems with wrestlers they scrapped the idea

Saz

This is just using RQW as a development territory, like OVW, it won't be a full blow WWE UK.

jim vs shark

i can't see why they need to to open another developmental territory though, especially when there isn't enough signed talent to justify a european territory

it would seem a bit silly sending american wrestlers over as well so chances are itll just end up another uk fed that the wwe keeps an eye on

jim vs shark

don't suppose anyone has heard anymore news on this?

im guessing it won't be set up anytime soon, because a lot of the european signings have been shipped over to florida championship wrestling

Oblong

They've got FCW, and are now also reportedy in talks with the promotion owned by Carlito's father.

The fact we've heard nothing of this in ages, coupled with that they're taking up more American territories probably indicates that nothing will come of WWE-RQW.

Al Stevens

I think personaly a training camp in the UK would be a good idea. There are alot of talented wrestlers in the UK who with a decent trainer would become better

Reno

I would've like to have gone. LDN dones't look very good when I watched the TV show.

alexmoss12

english westling will always be considered crap because of what wwe has influenced people but there is some good promotions out there pulling out top notch shows with the talent they have. I myself wrestle in promotion called MWA (Mendlesham Wrestling Alliance) and we are fastly growing as now we have gained a DVD Deal, so things are looking up.

jim vs shark

i think wwe thought that it would be better to keep an eye on wrestlers whilst in the UK rather than setting up an entire developmental for it, especially how uk wrestlers making it to wwe in the past were few and far between (only recently have they signed about 5 in one go)

not only that the roster would always be relatively small in comparison to say ovw, fcw or even iwa:pr because they wouldn't necessarily send over US wrestlers to train, thus it would only be potential uk stars, of which there havent been many that the wwe have spotted