Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

WWE Tribute To The Troops Discussion Thread - 24th December 2007

TPIB

Credit: Troops.WWE.com:

WWE Superstars and Divas will again be personally delivering holiday greetings to the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed overseas. The footage can be seen during WWE's annual "Tribute to the Troops" show which will air on Monday, December 24, 2007, on USA Network. Stay tuned for more details...
Names Confirmed for The Tour

Mr. McMahon
Michael Cole
John "Bradshaw" Layfield
Mickie James
Randy Orton
Carlito
CM Punk
Maria
Chris Jericho
Finlay
Triple H
Santino Marella
Mr. Kennedy
Rey Mysterio
Layla
Mark Henry
Umaga
Hardcore Holly
Jeff Hardy
Kelly Kelly
Shawn Michaels
Ron Simmons
Hornswoggle

Last edited:

Kanenite

Or how about a segment with "Santino Clause"?
Thanks for that, what a classic idea. If that pans out now i'll LOL. Do we get it on Sky Sports? Don't think i've watched a tribute to the troops program before.

FreeSpirit

Thanks for that, what a classic idea. If that pans out now i'll LOL. Do we get it on Sky Sports? Don't think i've watched a tribute to the troops program before.
They did show Tribute To The Troops on the Thursday encore of RAW slot last year on Sky Sports 3, for the first time ever. So hopefully they will show it again this time around.

Nimf

Subscriber
If they don't do Santino Claus, Christmas will be ruined...

TPIB

Over on WWE.com, they have the First Edition of "The Cole Report" with Michael Cole (duh). Cole confirmed that himself, JBL, & Vince McMahon are all going to Iraq for the show. Also on WWE.com, they announced that Mickie James will keep a blog of her trip to Iraq, so add her name to the confirmed list as well. No word on if they will actually appear on TV or not. Don't expect Jim Ross & Jerry "The King" Lawler to go. I believe they do the commentary from the safety of Stanford, CT. The superstars going on the tour left or are leaving for the tour today (Tuesday). They are leaving from the Air Force Base in North Charleston, SC. Only certain SmackDown! and ECW Superstars are going overseas since the two brands are currently touring Ireland and that area.

Twig

They aren't in Ireland, they are in Belfast.
OK, I don't get it. Yeah I'm an ignorant American, get over it and fill me in here. :p

Also I've heard people tell me that the Beatles aren't from Britain, they're from Liverpool. I just don't get it. Isn't that kinda like me saying: "I'm not from the USA, I'm from Illinois"?

DC

Ireland = Republic of Ireland (Eire)

Belfast is in Northern Ireland, which some people argue isn't Ireland, while the IRA (who are from the Republic), fought/terrorised for years because they think it was.

It was just Cachnian Dave looking for any reason to complain about a WWE situation.

DraVen

OK, I don't get it. Yeah I'm an ignorant American, get over it and fill me in here. :p

Also I've heard people tell me that the Beatles aren't from Britain, they're from Liverpool. I just don't get it. Isn't that kinda like me saying: "I'm not from the USA, I'm from Illinois"?
A lot of people seperate "Ireland" from "Northern Ireland". Even though Ireland is technically the name of the Island, some people assign it to the Republic of Ireland, who are considered a seperate entity to Northern Ireland (one is a sovereign state, one falls under the United Kingdom banner). Mostly, some people just like their country independance to be acknowledged. Like when people moan over this Beatles thing you say. A lot of people here don't consider "Britishness". It's all about being English, Welsh, Scottish, etc. Hence the Liverpool thing. "They're not British - they're English". Well they ARE British, but Americans tend to bundle us together as one island, whereas most Brits tend to seperate themselves by country (and then by geography - north, mid and south).

TPIB

WWE.com has added a subsite for the 2007 Tribute to the Troops and they added some photos of superstars preparing for the trip. Judging from the pictures, at least the following 14 names have been confirmed to at least go on the trip in addition to JBL, Michael Cole, Mickie James, & Mr. McMahon:

Finlay
Carlito
Ron Simmons
Lilian Garcia
CM Punk
Triple H
Jeff Hardy
Layla
Mark Henry
Mr. Kennedy
Hardcore Holly
Maria
Rey Mysterio
Hornswoggle
Shawn Michaels

On a funny note, all you can see of Carlito is his hair. The picture of various superstars on the cargo plane is like a game of "Where's Waldo?". I'm not completely sure of Finlay or CM Punk being in the photo, but it looks like them to me. I also can see a bald black individual. It's not "Lashley Bald", thank God. I hate to say it, but there is an individual in an orange hat in the same picture that looks like John Cena. Also, RAW Referee Mike Chioda is clearly visible in the picture as well, but I didn't figure he was very noteworthy. Namely since probably most of the referees and other officials will be on the tour. Also, someone that looks like Melina is on the flight (you can only see the back of her). Also, it looks like Trevor Murdoch may be on it too.

Twig

Belfast is in Northern Ireland, which some people argue isn't Ireland, while the IRA (who are from the Republic), fought/terrorised for years because they think it was.

It was just Cachnian Dave looking for any reason to complain about a WWE situation.
A lot of people seperate "Ireland" from "Northern Ireland". Even though Ireland is technically the name of the Island, some people assign it to the Republic of Ireland, who are considered a seperate entity to Northern Ireland (one is a sovereign state, one falls under the United Kingdom banner). Mostly, some people just like their country independance to be acknowledged. Like when people moan over this Beatles thing you say. A lot of people here don't consider "Britishness". It's all about being English, Welsh, Scottish, etc. Hence the Liverpool thing. "They're not British - they're English". Well they ARE British, but Americans tend to bundle us together as one island, whereas most Brits tend to seperate themselves by country (and then by geography - north, mid and south).
Ah, I see. So Britain is like the united countries of England, Scotland, and Ireland. So they're a little more pissy about it that us Americans with our indivisual states. Thanks guys. And sorry to the mods for going off topic.

Last edited:

dpddave

talent spotter
Subscriber

It was Ireland. But the English came over and fought/terrorised the whole Country and took it for themselves.

And their is a difference between Nothern Ireland and The Rebublic. One is a free State. The other is run by people that have no business running it.

Anyway,this show was fun last year,so I'd expect the same again. Although it was wierd seeing the Undertaker's entrance in the baking sun.

The Beltster

I f*cking despise the term 'Brits', its ONLY Americans who use it as far as I know, and I hate it. It would be like us calling them 'Yanks' at each and every opportunity. One of my pet peeves.

As for the Tribute to the Troops nonsense....boooooring! Who cares?! The shows they put on suck due to lack of angles and storylines, and we have to listen to the tired old routine of WWE performers thanking "Our guys and gals of the US army" and how great they are for upholding the freedom blah blah blah, no mention of any of the allies pulled into their war either, BTW. What are the British soldiers? Inconsequential?

P*sses me off. Load of crap.

Last edited:

DraVen

I don't care if I'm called British by Americans, as long as there is an understanding of what Britain entails. Sadly, a lot of people don't actually know that there are a bunch of seperate countries within. That's when I get narked.