Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

WWE SummerSlam 2008 Discussion Thread- August 17, 2008 from Indianapolis, IN

What Did You Think of the 21'st Annual SummerSlam?

• Total voters

TPIB

The 21'st Annual WWE SummerSlam will come to you live on pay-per-view from the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, IN on August 17, 2008.​

The official theme song for WWE SummerSlam 2008 is "Ready To Roll" by Jet Black Stare off of their new album, "In This Life".

Confirmed Matches

WWE Championship:
Triple H (c) Vs. The Great Khali

World Heavyweight Championship:
CM Punk (c) Vs. John "Bradshaw" Layfield

ECW Championship:
Mark Henry (c) Vs. Matt Hardy

Hell in a Cell Match:
Edge Vs. The Undertaker

First Time Ever:
Batista Vs. John Cena

Shawn Michaels To Appear To Announce His Career Status

Intercontinental & Women's Championship: "Winners Take All":
Kofi Kingston (c) & Mickie James (c) Vs. Santino Marella & Beth Phoenix

MVP Vs. Jeff Hardy

Rumored Matches

Umaga Vs. Big Show

Last edited:

Black Knight

I wonder if there will be a Triple Thread WHC Title match between Kane, Batista, and Cm Punk. I doubt it since Kane is still asking "Is he dead or alive".

Kanenite

Now that's a better poster. I imagine Kane will be in some kind of high profile match though, maybe involving the "Is he alive or dead" stuff. And I wonder if HBK and Y2J will have another match.

The Beltster

Apparently, here are matches confirmed at SD! and ECW:

WWE Championship Match
- Triple H (c) vs. The Great Khali

ECW Championship Match
- Mark Henry vs. Matt Hardy

"Hell In A Cell" Match
- The Undertaker vs. Edge

Outside of the HiaC, SummerSlam looks to be complete sh*t. Khali, JBL and Henry in all the top title matches? Jesus, thats horrible!

Phil

I was hoping Jeff Hardy would compete for the WWE title while Matt would compete for ECW! Khali should be nowhere near a PPV main event ever!

Dave7g

Khali vs HHH = NO BUYS!

What a diabolical Summerslam Main Event, what are they thinking?

Cathal

I'm hoping they have two HIAC matches like they did for the Elimination Chamber. Punk vs. Batista vs. Cena vs. Jericho vs. Kane vs. JBL in HIAC could be pretty damn good. It also allows them not to have Cena vs. Batista until Mania.

As for HHHH vs. Khali, maybe HHH wanted to prove he could get a passable match out of Khali or he justs wants to go over the big huge guy clean to prove to us all how great he is.

Black Knight

I wonder if John Cena and Batista is going to have a match tonight on Raw. Perhaps after the match, JBL could come out and interfear in it. After JBl gets the upper hand on both superstar, Cm Punk comes down to the ring and GTS JBL.

After all of that happens, the fatal four way match is annouced. :thumbup2:

The Beltster

This card isnt very appealing on paper. I'm tired of the Taker/Edge feud, sure they have good matches but its stale now and putting a cell around the ring to dress it up as something new isnt working for me.

The less said about Triple H/Khali the better, its just a match with no build out of nowhere thats on the 2nd biggest show of the year for the most important title in the world. Thats a bit off in my books.

MastersGonads

that match is going to be bigger than the whc match, so the belt already means nothing that was quick
Could that be the same as the WWE Title, because Edge v The Undertaker in HIAC is by far a bigger a match than HHH V Khali?!

Personally, I think it does the opposite, and makes the belt look stronger. That all these main event wrestlers are arguing amongst themselves, and getting into fueds because of their desire to prove themselves and get their shot at the title..

Makes it look like being the champion means something

Last edited:

Jayfunk

Could that be the same as the WWE Title, because Edge v The Undertaker in HIAC is by far a bigger a match than HHH V Khali?!

Personally, I think it does the opposite, and makes the belt look stronger. That all these main event wrestlers are arguing amongst themselves, and getting into fueds because of their desire to prove themselves and get their shot at the title..

Makes it look like being the champion means something
i agree to a point but i think the card looks weak so far for the second biggest ppv of the year

the title matches should be stronger and the rest of card over shadows them

MastersGonads

i agree to a point but i think the card looks weak so far for the second biggest ppv of the year

the title matches should be stronger and the rest of card over shadows them
Card is looking a tad weak, but I'm guessing that Edge v Taker in the HIAC is meant to be the show stealer...

I dont think its that bad a booking though. It would have been quite easy to throw Cena v Punk in for the title, but that would have meant Punk facing a third different opponent in as many PPV's with very little build. Cena v Batista is obviously going to be the upcoming title fued, and this has just started the slow build, which it deserves. Give them a match early, set out the heel v face storyline, and then let them face each other 3 - 4 months down the line for the title, when their fued has esculated to the point that any respect they had for each other, has turned into hate...

As for the WWE title, again it could have been quite easy to put Triple H v Edge as the title picture, seeing Triple H ruined the wedding. But there had to be a culmination to Edge & Vickie, and they had to bring Taker back in, so the HIAC, for me is the perfect end, to a an on/off fued that has been going on for well over 18 months.
While as for the title match, Tripe H beats Khali, beats the big giant, reasserts, why he is the Champion on the new brand, and underlines his credentials before a fued with Edge or the more likely Undertaker.

I think for once, the WWE has been quite sensible, in as I said in my previous post, giving both belts some credence

Danny Styles

looking forward to the Edge/ Taker match, even though Edge has no chance in hell of winning, and i wish they would put Y2J vs Punk on the card, throwing him in there with JBL or Kane would just plane suck

TPIB

Here are my predictions for SummerSlam:

WWE Championship:
Triple H (c) def. The Great Khali to retain.

This one is just too obvious to me. I think and hope that WWE has no plans for Khali to win the title, but they wanted him to headline with Triple H since Khali is such a star in India (glad he is somewhere).

ECW Championship:
Mark Henry (c) def. Matt Hardy

Even though it would be awesome to see Matt take the ECW Title, I don't think Henry will lose the title in this one.

Hell in a Cell Match:
The Undertaker def. Edge

For me, this one is more about the return of The Undertaker and about the match than who wins it. The winner would have to be 'Taker though, since it will be his return after all.

Batista def. John Cena

Again, I hate both these guys, but the way that Batista's two World Title Matches went against Punk, I think WWE will throw him a bone and let him pick up the win over Cena. I think it would be unique to have the winner of this match face Punk later in the night for the title.

The Beltster

I can see Cena vs Batista going to a no contest due to Kane/CM Punk involvement. They will leave the clean finish until WrestleMania I bet, when Cena goes over Batista for the world title.