Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

*** WWE SummerSlam 2004 PPV Discussion Thread ***

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
PPV Quiz and Chat

As is our monthly tradition here at Talk Wrestling Online, we will be holding our monthly PPV Quiz and Chat night. Head over to the TWO chatroom at 8.00pm to enter our highly popular quiz, with your host Colin! Then from 9pm until 1am, why not stay along for a good ol' chat about the PPV with all the TWO regulars? The more, the merrier.

WWE SummerSlam Quiz and Chat
Sunday 15th August 2004
(UK Times)

Quiz: 8.00 - 9.00pm
Chat: 9pm - 1am

There will be FIVE WWE DVDs up for grabs (sponsored by Silvervision) - all you have to do is answer a simple question during the chat. (Only open to UK residents!)

For more info see:http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13941

PPV Prediction League

Post your predictions below – anyone can enter!
http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14094

Matches
  • World Heavyweight Championship
    Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton
  • WWE Championship
    JBL vs The Undertaker
  • Intercontinental Championship
    Edge vs Batista vs Chris Jericho
  • US Championship - First of 5 Match
    Booker T vs John Cena
  • Til Death To Do Us Part Match
    Kane vs Matt Hardy
  • Diva Dodgeball
    Raw Divas (led by Trish) vs Diva Search Divas
  • Triple H vs Eugene
  • Kurt Angle vs Eddie Guerrero
  • The Dudley Boyz (Bubba, D-Von and Spike) vs Rey Mysterio, Paul London and Billy Kidman

How to order the PPV

UK:
Live on Sky Sports 1 at 1am

USA:
See WWE.com - SummerSlam

:thumbup2:

Chris_Benoit_23

My 2 cents on Summa Slam

Rey Mysterio, Billy Kidman & Paul London vs. Bubba Ray, D-Von & Spike Dudley

I've really enjoyed this current heel run by the Dudley Boys, can't lie about it. Since aligning with Paul Heyman (and then just sort of forgetting about him) they've shaken the rusty, boring, stale act that had ruined their face run and emerged as an interesting little dysfunctional family / group of solid heel competitors. They've been instrumental in London and Kidman's portrayal as more than just fluke champions, and have even tied together the tag division and cruiserweight division by recruiting Spike back into their ranks. That, in particular, is a good thing in my mind since both divisions weren't getting the kind of attention they needed on their own, and by working together they're keeping both belts in the spotlight.

This should be a pretty good match, as the Dudleys have done a decent job of keeping up with the lighter opponents and Spike's improved noticeably since coming to the cruiserweight division full-time, and it could really go either way without hurting the loser's momentum. I like the faces here, though the Dudleys could probably use the win a touch more.

Till Death Do Us Part Match (Winner Marries Lita)
Kane vs. Matt Hardy

Matt Hardy announced in his online commentary this week that he’s going to have knee surgery that will put him on the shelf for six to eight months. Of course, soon after that was posted it was taken down by WWE.com because I assume they’re not big fans of wrestlers telling their fans that they are going to have surgery just before they’re telling them to buy a PPV. As much as I like Matt Hardy, this feud sucks. The best part is Kane’s laugh and facial expressions. The worst parts are when Lita tries to act. This baby angle is stupid, the marriage is only going to make it worse and the fact that this angle isn’t going away anytime soon will only bore me more. The match will probably be a standup brawl because Kane can’t do much outside of that. Still, I dig his laugh. It’s a good grin, I must say. With or without Matt’s knee surgery I would have picked Kane here. I hope the announce the “wedding” after Monday Night Football has begun, so I’ll have something to watch during that segment.
Winner: Kane

United States Championship (1st match in best of 5 series)
Booker T (c) vs. John Cena

Probably the catalyst for Smackdown's gradual improvement was the return to competition in the US Championship division. Lately I've been enjoying not just the competition in this division but the diversity of legitimate competitors. Truth be told, Smackdown's midcard scene isn't in bad shape at all with Booker, RVD, Cena and a regularly improving Dupree factoring heavily into each title defense. They've managed to simultaneously build everyone involved in these title matches intelligently without undermining the loser's credibility. Booker T won the elimination match Teddy Long booked a couple weeks ago by using his head and minimizing his ring time, catching both Van Dam and Cena off-guard in the process. It put over Van Dam's finisher as a devastating maneuver, Booker's ability to think on his feet (which is kind of at odds with his past portrayals, but you know what they say about the effects of making an omelette on a few eggs) and Cena's conditioning, working the majority of the match and absorbing most of his opponents' offense, yet still surviving until the very finish.

I don't think this feud is quite over just yet, which leads me to believe Booker will be coming out on top. They've been doing a good job of keeping his character in motion, and a loss here would end all that without really aiding Cena all that much. The conclusion of the story is obviously Cena retrieving his belt, but to do that here would be rushing it.
Winner: Booker T

Intercontinental Championship
Edge (c) vs. Chris Jericho vs. Batista
Another midcard division that's becoming more and more competitive as the days go on. Though there aren't quite as many names thrown into this mix as there are in Smackdown's US Title hunt, RAW's Intercontinental Title has been very nicely built, defended in very good to great matches and booked intelligently. They haven't rushed in turning Edge heel, instead fading him back into a tweener role that's twice as interesting as any cliched "oh, you eliminated me in the battle royal so now I'm going to completely forget all my morals" turn could've been. The big story here is the relationship between Edge and Chris Jericho, which leads me to believe that Batista is their choice as the new IC champ. Edge and Y2J will be concentrating so heavily on demeaning and obliterating one another that all it'll take is a well-timed spinebuster or powerbomb for Batista to put this one away. Like Orton in the main event, this is a big chance for Batista to prove he can do something in the ring as a single and doesn't need the crutch of Flair or Orton in his corner and a chance to rest on the apron to have a good match. If he steps up and supports his own weight here, he could have big things in his future... and alongside Edge and Jericho, he's got a good chance of delivering.
Winner: Batista

Eddie Guerrero vs. Kurt Angle
They've done a good job of keeping this one on the burner during Angle's time off the active roster. While Angle temporarily distracted himself with a mini-story opposite John Cena, Eddy Guerrero wound up dropping his title to Bradshaw, (I've developed large hairless patches on my scalp from the repeated head-scratching that decision invoked) they maintained a relationship on-air to keep the crowd interested. Now that Angle's back in the saddle, it's time to pick up where they left off. I honestly couldn't ask for a match with more potential, both in and out of the ring, and I can't wait for this to play out. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned about Angle's conditioning, but considering his track record that's a passing worry at best. I'm not sure who to go with here, since I'm almost certain the feud will continue after the PPV. Initially I went with Guerrero, but in retrospect I'm gonna pick Angle. Should be a great one, and I think Kurt's got too much to prove here.

Triple H vs. Eugene
You know what’s weird about this match? It’s the first time in a LONG ASS TIME that Triple H isn’t in the main event of a PPV that he’s on (I had to add that part in for you smartasses that would mention he’s not on Smackdown PPVs). I don’t see HHH losing here. I think if he loses to Eugene he’d look really weak. Eugene isn’t the kind of wrestler that needs wins or losses to stay over. The fans will continue to love him even if he loses to Trips. The only way that would happen is if William Regal showed up. If they’re smart they’ll keep Regal away for at least a night. Hunter will win, but it won’t be easy. I wouldn’t be shocked to see a post match beatdown as well. That will likely set up a street fight type match with Regal for the next Raw PPV.
Winner: Triple H

WWE Championship
John Bradshaw Layfield (c) vs. The Undertaker

The hype for this match has been horrid. That’s to be suspected when you have two guys who barely have matches on TV, though. Are these two even wrestlers anymore? I don’t remember. “You. Me. Summerslam.” That’s what Undertaker said to become number one contender. I’d mark out huge if Jamie Noble did that one month. It’d rule! Know what I say? “Bradshaw. Undertaker. Snoozefest.” I still don’t get how Undertaker is a babyface still. Didn’t he try to murder Paul Bearer? He’s a babyface for that. I don’t get it. Not just that, but he gets to be number one contender because he beat the Dudleys in the worst PPV main event in many, many years. What the hell happened to actually WINNING something in order to get title shots? I miss those days. A lot. I forget it’s the Undertaker, though. If you use your brain when you think about anything he does you’ll only confuse yourself. It’s best to just stop thinking. You know when I’ll cheer Undertaker? The day he really retires.

This is going to suck. There will be no psychology or timing to make you say wow. They will stand up, throw punches, clotheslines and shit like that. It won’t be a world title worthy match. It will be a yawner. I never thought I’d say this, but I’d rather have Bradshaw be the champion over his opponent. Is that what the Smackdown title, the one that I loved during the Angle-Lesnar feud, has become? What a sad event. This feud has been so bad that I’m actually missing that Big Show/Bossman feud. I liked that more than this. At least that had Big Show riding the casket. That was hilarious! I’ll pick Bradshaw to retain due to Heidenreich costing Taker as Undertaker continues to prove he can only have bad feuds.
Winner: John Bradshaw Layfield

World Heavyweight Championship
Chris Benoit (c) vs. Randy Orton

To the masses who seem convinced Orton is walking out of this one with the title, I say this; you've bought the hype. That's not to completely rule out his chances, but I think it's far from the sure thing I've been reading about everywhere on the web in the month leading up to this match. They've pushed Orton as a solid competitor who often gets the lucky shot in at the right moment, squeaking out a win just as his tank hits empty... but they've also pushed Benoit as a guy who's tough to sneak anything past in the ring. He's countered every move imaginable into the crossface, including the RKO. He's finally emerged as a believable face alternative to Triple H, succeeding in the situations failed by Goldberg, and I think his title run has more legs than this. I think Orton may just be the guy to finally take the belt off of him, but I don't think the time is now.

Should be a great match, though, and it'll be a great chance for Orton to learn from the best. It's no secret he's had some problems with pacing his matches, and with the Crippler in control that shouldn't be a problem here. I'm eager to see how both guys perform under that enormous spotlight, and I'm crossing my fingers hoping for success.
Winner: Chris Benoit​

RvD3:16

I think there will only be one boring match during SS

And sadly its the SD main event JBL vs. Undertaker
Spare me please

Chris_Benoit_23

RvD3:16 said:
I think there will only be one boring match during SS

And sadly its the SD main event JBL vs. Undertaker
Spare me please
Yup.

I hope JBL comes out on top though. Even though he's pretty sorry to watch in the ring, it's better then Undertaker as World Champ.

The Beltster

SummerSlam looks great, match of the night will be my man Eddie bs Kurt, no doubt, and I'm looking for another of my top guys Randy Orton to walk out as the new Worlds heavyweight champion.
Actually, I think I'll start a thread on why I think Orton needs to take the strap...

Chris_Benoit_23

WWFBeltMark said:
SummerSlam looks great, match of the night will be my man Eddie bs Kurt, no doubt,
That's the match I'm looking forward to also.

I was worried that Kurt would suffer from ring rust, but his match against Charlie Haas was a lot better then I thought it was going to be.

Orton/Benoit should be interesting.

Most of the card is somewhat good other then JBL/Undertaker.

Brad

Formerly Shawn_Michaels
Yea but I would of liked to see either Kane vs. Matt or HHH vs. Eugene a no dq match. But aprt from that, Summerslam is going to be one of the best ppv's this year so far with exciting matches.

Keith Would

Anyone notice that King has "Just For Mennned up" for Summerslam. Not suprising with all those tasty women to try it on with!

Saz

Hmmm.... the chance of the world's youngest champion... why did I know that was gonna happen...?

But to be honest it was a pretty good PPV, the matches were well thought out and made sense (for once).

Funnily enough my fave match was Matt V Kane, I actually caught myself wondering if Matt was going to do it, the match got me involved big time.

Dunno what was up with the crowd though, well apart from that Diva dodgeball malarky, what a load of rubbish that was, I'd be booing that myself.

Ah well time for bed.

Saracen

MARTIN316V1

I think King and Tazz sumed it up best, ''Bizarre-o-land''

Best PPV from WWE in quite some time, Great Stuff :thumbup2:

c0ma

Suprisingly good show, I wasn't expecting much from it to be honest.

Even JBL/Taker wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The crowd were pretty fun at times I was litterally in stitches with the mexican wave during JBL/Taker... Although I was a little bemused by the booing of Eugene, Considering canadians are usually full of support for technical wrestlers.

I'm a huge Benoit fan but I'm glad he dropped the title to Orton tonight, But not only that, Just with his words alone and the handshake he's made Orton look like one hell of a champion.

Match of the night was easily Eddie Vs Angle though, Pure genius all the way through.

Jung

I thought it was really disappointing to be honest, thought WrestleMania was miles better, in every way, and it really didn't have the feel of it to a supercard,

The crowd sat on their hands nearly the whole night, I mean Eugene came out to near silence, and the fact the started a mexican wave and couldn't even be bothered to watch Taker v JBL, shows how uninteresting a lot of the product is.

Also the booking is horrendous. I mean they finish the Matt Hardy Kane match off, with a real short bout, whichw as half the match of their Vengeance enounter. I mean I know he's injured, but come on not even a big angle, just an afterthought. The crowd aren't getting behind Eugene at all, because they just think he's a loser now.

The fact they telegraph book for the World Title is ridiculous too. Bradshaw v Eddie a few months back, DQ PPV match, aftermath is a beating from the champ, and exactly the same things happen again, giant groan from the crowd. Y couldn't Taker lose then have another shot? Totally stupid booking, considering they only did it 3 months ago.

Angle v Eddie I enjoyed, but considering, it was pretty disappointing, not even good as the Mania match, which in itself was disappointing. And the fact an ankle lock would hurt more when u took a boot off, is ridiculous, and anyone could see through that.

Then we have the main event, best match on the gard, although not great, or as good as the Mania main event. Benoit took some sick bumps, but the major story is, its still wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early for Orton, its another feud ruined, and I imagine the Trips one will be too, cause I don't think the writing team have any clue what they are doing.

I mean the fact they had no pre match video build up for the Orton/Benoit match, just shows how quickly it was rushed together. I mean Rock went from losing IC title in August to winning the World belt in November, It's taken Orton a month, which is far too quick, and means there is high chance he'll fail.

They could have had him lose, earn his way to another shot, then win at Survivors or Rumble, and imbetween that time played on the tension between him and Triple H. Right now, that hasn't even been looked at, yet now Orton's the champ. That should be the icing on the cake that split Evolution, but now that's been ruined, cause what can Trips do? Nothing, unless they split outright on Raw, after no build up. If this is supposed to be the Mania match, it means they got 7 months to pad it out, and considering its taken them 2 weeks, to do the equivalent of 4 months work, they got no chance.

Absolutely no long term foresight or patient whatsoever. At this rate give em 5 years, ratings are getting worse, and so's the logic. It's turning into dying WCW, with everything being rushed.

Boyo

Not a bad Summerslam at all.

I particularly liked the Dudleyz vs London/Kidman/Mysterio to start things off. Lots of flips and spots and generally very entertaining.

I was a bit disappointed with the JBL vs Undertaker match. We all knew it wasn't going to be a technical masterpiece, so it didn't disappoint match-wise. I guess I'm just disappointed with Undertaker's creative involvement in this. He didn't want to be pinned or tap out, so he lost by DQ, and then chokeslammed the champion through the roof of his car, which wasn't all that impressive anyway.

I'm setting myself up for a fall here but it made JBL look very weak.

I really enjoyed Angle vs Guerrero, glad to see Eddie did what's right and tapped out.

The Orton vs Benoit match was enjoyable and Orton came over as a superb, over-awed champ at the end. Great to see him shake hands with Benoit. Methinks old Triple H will pick up on this as a way to start a feud.

The crowd were terrible though. Embarrassing even. Booing Eugene, booing Benoit, booing Edge in his hometown, booing during Angle vs Eddie whenever someone applied a facelock, doing a mexican wave during JBL vs Undertaker. Atrocious. The WWE needs to encourage more kids to come to the show to purely CHEER and BOO; kids don't try to make themselves look clever.

I was disappointed with the crowd, and King was clearly pissed off with them. I did like the "Virgil" chants that Orlando Jordan got though.

Cheers!

Towrag

I thought the Crowd were making a valid statement, that being "We like what we like, not what You want us to like." I enjoyed it as much as the matches. One thing that does seem strange, why go to all the bother and expense just to be anti.

Chris2K

As for the crowd, from what I've heard they were appalling. They weren't being smarky or trying to say "we don't like this" (well, except for Taker/JBL), they were trying to be as difficult as possible.

Toronto crowds have a history of doing this, and it basically means they boo all the faces and cheer all the heels. I believe that this happened in the main event, and seeing as Benoit is a Canadian hero, it just shows what idiots most of them were.

The Crippler

I think the crowd were quite embarrassing really. Like Chris said, it wasn't even a smarky thing (If it was they'd have booed the hell out of HHH you'd have thought). They were just being difficult. I'm all for cheering for whoever you like but it was basically every match they were cheering for the heels. Makes it harder for the guys to work properly and takes a lot away from the match I think. I usually love a Canadian crowd but they sucked last night. When Raw and Smackdown comes over to Britain we'll see a proper crowd then.

As for the show - nothing amazingly good.

I liked the opener a lot, shame it didn't get a bit longer but it was a great way to start the show. Kane - Matt was pretty much what I was expecting with Hardy's injury. Cool finish with the chokeslam off the top.

Didn't like the IC Match. I thought DAVE should have went over and let Edge and Jericho feud. They don't need the IC Belt to have a good feud and it would have been good for DAVE to get the belt.

Biggest disappointment of the night was Angle-Guerrero. I don't know what it was but it wasn't anywhere near as good as I was expecting. The Angle - Benoit matches really left this in the shade. I hope they have another match so we can see a better showing hopefully. I was glad Angle won, it was the right thing seeing as he is just returning.

Taker v JBL was much better than I thought it was going to be. Predictable enough ending with the DQ. Quite funny seeing Taker slip on the bonnet of the car. :D

HHH versus Eugene was alright. Considering the two guys in the match you'd have expected a much better match. This was probably the main match where I had the biggest beef with the crowd. Felt sorry for Dinsmore with the "Eugene Sucks" chants. That was a shame and took a lot away from the match.

The main event was the best match on the card. Some very nice wrestling from Benoit at the start of the match. Pretty impressive move from Orton about half way in. Not sure what it was called but it was good. :) Good finish to the match as well, some nice sorta counters then the RKO. It was the right way for Benoit to drop the belt and I'm not surprised that's how he did it. I particularly enjoyed the handshake with Benoit screaming "BE A MAN!" at him. That really made Orton as well because a lot of people see Orton as a bit of a snivelling pretty boy so that put him over good.

Overall I thought it was a decent enough show. I'd give it about a 7 out of 10.