Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

WWE Royal Rumble 2009 Discussion Thread- Jan. 25, 2009 from Detroit, MI (#22)

TPIB

The 22nd Annual WWE Royal Rumble will come to you, live on pay-per-view, from the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, MI on January 25, 2009.

The official theme song for the 2009 Royal Rumble is "Let It Rock" by Kevin Rudolf, off of his debut album, "In The City".

Confirmed Matches/Events

30-Man Royal Rumble Match

WWE Championship:
Jeff Hardy (c) Vs. Edge

World Heavyweight Championship:
John Cena (c) Vs. JBL (with Shawn Michaels)

ECW Championship:
Jack Swagger (c) Vs. Matt Hardy

Women's Championship:
Beth Phoenix (c) Vs. Melina

Royal Rumble Participants
Triple H
Vladimir Kozlov
Big Show
Shelton Benjamin
The Undertaker
Randy Orton
Chris Jericho
Rey Mysterio
Kofi Kingston
The Miz
John Morrison
Kane
Cody Rhodes
Ted DiBiase
Santino Marella
R-Truth
The Brian Kendrick
Carlito
CM Punk
Finlay
Mark Henry
The Great Khali
Chavo Guerrero

Last edited:

MastersGonads

Was going to say...'How early is this thread?!'

But then realised, we are a month away from the Rumble! How time flies....

DC

World Heavyweight Championship:
John Cena (c) Vs. Randy Orton/Batista/Chris Jericho/Shawn Michaels/JBL/CM Punk/Kane/Rey Mysterio
I know WWE likes to "Stack the Odds" [tm] against John Cena, but having him wrestle an 8-on-1 Handicap Match is taking the piss.

Seriously, though, why does Cena have eight challengers at the Rumble?

JobberJoe

Subscriber
I know WWE likes to "Stack the Odds" [tm] against John Cena, but having him wrestle an 8-on-1 Handicap Match is taking the piss.

Seriously, though, why does Cena have eight challengers at the Rumble?
It's probably gonna be one of them... why guess only one and get it wrong when you can guess them ALL and only have to edit the mistakes out later.

Simple.

H}{H-Evolution

I like to think Kane and Rey Mysterio are the least likely though. :p But this IS the WWE after all...

DC

It's probably gonna be one of them... why guess only one and get it wrong when you can guess them ALL and only have to edit the mistakes out later.

Simple.
Personally, I would have simply put something like "John Cena v TBA" or "John Cena v Challenger to be determined" rather than list eight names for no reason.

And what if Cena doesn't make it to Royal Rumble with his title? Unlikely, but not impossible.

Dave7g

Why is Mysterio getting a World title chance? Did he not just FAIL to win the IC title?

Logic!

Cathal

By the way, this is the 22nd Rumble, not the 21st as it says in the first post.

DarkMatchJobber

I hope Dolph Zigglers in the rumble. He would win
That would be all kinds of awesome because then people would pay attention when he walks up them and says " Hi,I'm Dolph Ziggler! ".

I reckon Batista will take the win this year and be a rare rumble winner who doesn't win the title match at Wrestlemania.

Nemesis Enforcer

Duggan should win this Rumble, he won the first one after all and feel its only right he should win another before he dies and by the looks of him that won't be too much longer :lol:

I actually think The Brian Kendrick may have a good chance at winning this rumble. Or mabye Christian Cage will make his return (if he has one) at the Rumble and win it. Or John Morrison could win this year because last year if my memory serves me right Morrison lasted a very long time in the rumble.

Jung

Hard to say who's going to win the Rumble, as I would have had a bet on Jeff Hardy had he not won the title at Armageddon.

As long as it isn't HHH, who doesn't need the win and shouldn't be fighting for the title again, because his title run was incredibly boring and did absolutely nothing.

So guys I'd like to see win? Edge, Punk, Jericho, Orton would all make logical choices.

Could have Jericho do a HBK in 95 Rumble win, where he goes ages and somehow pulls it off, to prove he's as great as he says, yet still gets no respect.

With Edge, you could do a similar thing. Punk could win as a shocker yet get screwed out of his title shot at No Way Out, leading to a major heel turn as if he continually feels he's getting screwed ala Bret 1997. Orton winning would be good too, as his stable will hopefully get a major push and it builds to some major potential programmes, especially the revenge for Cena, which never got solved.

Batista wouldn't be a bad choice either if they are looking at him facing Cena at WM.

DC

Why is Mysterio getting a World title chance? Did he not just FAIL to win the IC title?

Logic!
He's not (at least, he's not at the moment). TPIB, rather than put no names against Cena, listed eight wrestlers for no reason whatsoever.

TPIB

I changed it yesterday. Discussion over.

I still see Randy Orton winning the Rumble.

DC

I changed it yesterday. Discussion over.
Dave asked a question, I answered it, so I would appreciate less of an attitude next time, especially as it was down to you he felt the need to ask in the first place.

TPIB

Yeah, sure, whatever. Back on topic, please.

Last edited:

Jimmy Redman

He's not (at least, he's not at the moment). TPIB, rather than put no names against Cena, listed eight wrestlers for no reason whatsoever.
On Raw, Stephanie McMahon explained that there would be an 8-man tournament, consisting of "former champions", over the next few weeks, to determine the No. 1 Contender. Later on, Lawler announced the brackets. I cant remember the matches, but the names that TPIB listed are, as far as I recall, ARE the guys competing for the spot, so I have absolutely no idea what your problem with TPIB is, or why TPIB himself hasnt explained this.