Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

WWE: Not a wrestling company

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beltster

This is a letter WWE sent out, Does anyone else think WWE is getting out of control with the we are not a wrestling company? Now they are saying its not a wrestling match , its a entertainment. HMMM isnt wrestling in the name of the company? , cant be entertainment if you fail at entertaining.

WWE sent a demand to a website that called them a wrestling company to change their wording. TVWeek.com had a headline that ran "'Drew Carey inducted into pro wrestling Hall of Fame." According to the site, they received an email from WWE publicist Kellie Baldyga, ordering them to change the headline because "We are no longer a wrestling company but rather a global entertainment company with a movie studio, international licensing deals, publisher of three magazines, consumer good distributor and more."

The publicist further said "No, we don't do wrestling events. They're entertainments. And we don't call them wrestlers. They're superstars and divas."

TVWeek refused the request and removed the article rather than change the headline.
:lol:

Oh Vince, you are a d*ck.

dsrchris

Am disappoint, son
Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Man, he's even ruining the WWE's free publicity. Way to shoot yourself in the foot, guy.

The Beltster

If he could, Vince would certainly change the company name to get 'wrestling' out of it and change the name of WrestleMania. I bet it drives him crazy that the biggest show he does is the only one with the worl 'wrestle' in it :lol:

Dave7g

"Superstars" still makes cringe, anyone who buys into WWE's terminology has serious sheep issues.

Jamster26

Subscriber
Ha, well I guess this explains it then...

We’re not a wrestling firm

According to leaked emails, Vince McMahon views the WWE as a "global media company" employing "superstars" rather than wrestlers and putting on "entertainments" instead of wrestling events.

Despite the firm's title actually standing for World Wrestling Entertainment, over the past two years they have unsuccessfully tried to prevent worldwide media — including The Sun — from using the term.

Now, in an exchange with leading US website TVWeek.com, they have made the new policy explicit.

The conversation came after the site ran a story about the WWE Hall of Fame, which included the term "pro wrestling" in the headline.

WWE publicist Kellie Baldyga immediately emailed the author of the piece, Chuck Ross, and his boss, insisting it be corrected.

She wrote: "We are no longer a wrestling company but rather a global entertainment company with a movie studio, international licensing deals, publisher of three magazines, consumer good distributor and more."

In a follow-up phone conversation with Ross, she then insisted: "We don't do wrestling events, they're entertainments.

"And we don't call them wrestlers, they're superstars and Divas."

After the website removed the story rather than change it, Baldyga sent a follow-up email clarifying once more that: "We are a global media company which is how our chairman, Vince McMahon, positions us
Credit Sun.co.uk

The Beltster

They're a wrestling promotion, always will be regardless of how much McMahon hates it. F*cking dipshits!

Dave7g

"We are no longer a wrestling company", says the World Wrestling Entertainment, who are currently promoting their biggest PPV of the year, Wrestlemania.

I remember arguing with someone here years ago about this, where they bought into this nonsense.

King

Forum Leader
Vince always wanted to be seen as legit, and I think as the years passed he just hates the word WRESTLING, he should know where his bread is buttered.

etz

I think it is fair to say that WWE is more than just a wrestling company, but the important point Vince needs to accept is that wrestling is still their core business, and so calling them a wrestling promotion is entirely valid, despite anything else they might do.

Paul

A film company? OK the films star wrestlers, but its still films not about wrestling.

King

Forum Leader
The way I see it is World Wrestling Entertainmnet = Wrestling company, yes they might branch out some worthless films and try their hand at bodybuilding and American Football but even Ray Charles could see WWE is a Wrestling company, period!!

etz

The way I see it is World Wrestling Entertainmnet = Wrestling company, yes they might branch out some worthless films and try their hand at bodybuilding and American Football but even Ray Charles could see WWE is a Wrestling company, period!!
Yeah, and Coca Cola is entirely a drinks company, and 3M is a mining company. Seriously, it's rarely that black and white, and WWE has a valid point arguing it's not just a wrestling company.

Status
Not open for further replies.