Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

WWE Night of Champions 2009 Discussion Thread (#3)

TPIB

The 3rd Annual WWE Night of Champions will come to you, live on pay-per-view, from the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, PA on July 26.

Confirmed Matches/Events

WWE Championship: Triple Threat:
Randy Orton (c) Vs. Triple H Vs. John Cena

World Heavyweight Championship:
CM Punk (c) Vs. Jeff Hardy

ECW Championship:
Tommy Dreamer (c) Vs. Christian

Intercontinental Championship:
Rey Mysterio (c) Vs. Dolph Ziggler

United States Championship: 6-Pack Challenge:
Kofi Kingston (c) Vs. Big Show Vs. MVP Vs. Jack Swagger Vs. The Miz Vs. Carlito

Unified Tag Team Championship:
Chris Jericho & Mystery Partner (c) Vs. Legacy

Women's Championship:
Michelle McCool (c) Vs. Melina

Divas Championship:
Maryse (c) Vs. Mickie James

Last edited by a moderator:

Twig

Wow, the first round of the WWE title brackets was so unpredictable. Who's gonna win? The fomer champion main eventers, or the midcarders who've hardly been booked seriously in their entire run with the company?

DarkMatchJobber

Yet another match involving Triple H and Orton sounds like a colossal bore to me as it should be obvious to most that these two are not capable of having a match different to previous encounters as they all follow the same boring formula that put people to sleep at Wrestlemania.

JamesMXPX

I don't want to see another 1-on-1 Orton and Triple H match, but apart from Cena (and Batista/HBK), what other face could warrant being in a main event PPV match?

DC

Yet another match involving Triple H and Orton sounds like a colossal bore to me as it should be obvious to most that these two are not capable of having a match different to previous encounters as they all follow the same boring formula that put people to sleep at Wrestlemania.
No they don't. Last year's WrestleMania, where Orton retained the title was a good match, the four-way at Backlash following 'Mania was good as well, not to mention the really good Last Man Standing matches they've had as well as some of the other good-to-great bouts over the years.

Sure, some have sucked, but to dismiss all their encounters as being the same is wrong.

Jung

Knowing the WWE they'll probably change the title again despite the great lack of any build or any demand from fans. They desperately need to freshen up the main event scene, it's arguably as stale as it's been in the past 25 years. I'd try Orton/Cena again seeing as their feud never really reached a conclusion and they have unfinished business.

HHH/Orton is just ridiculously stale now as they've feuded so frequently in the past 2 years that they've exhausted it and you can't keep having HHH get his revenge every feud because people won't care, and a lot already don't seem to.

Rest of the card looks alright, hopefully they'll add some quality in there rather than say Mark Henry v Big Show no 1 contenders match for instance.

Hanahbananabob

Subscriber
As much as i like Randy Orton, i think Orton vs HHH vs Cena is going to be terribly boring.....hopefully Jeff vs Punk will be good, better than the match at the Bash anyway! what will they do about the tag title match now edge is out??

Tommate2k9

I think this is a great card. Im sick of HHH and Orton, glad they TRYED to freshen up the contest with Cena.... The HHH v. CENA match on raw last night was actually really good and i enjoyed it.

Overall defiantly looking forward to this PPV!

Jayfunk

they do tend to repeat stuff very often these days, they need to make some new stars :lol:

Tommate2k9

they do tend to repeat stuff very often these days, they need to make some new stars :lol:
i hope this is where Morrison, Dolph, Swagger, MVP, Henry(kinda) and a few others will come into play....

very talented, im loving Dolph atm... incase you didnt know his name it's..... Dolph Ziggler :):thumbup2:

Jayfunk

i hope this is where Morrison, Dolph, Swagger, MVP, Henry(kinda) and a few others will come into play....

very talented, im loving Dolph atm... incase you didnt know his name it's..... Dolph Ziggler :):thumbup2:
it was a joke and an in joke at that, besides none of those people are stars, they need main eventers fast, how many times have we seen in two years cena/hardy/HHH/edge/Orton in the ME, WWE don't make that many actual stars after all penty of mid carders but no Main eventers, somehow i like the Irony

Tommate2k9

it was a joke and an in joke at that, besides none of those people are stars, they need main eventers fast, how many times have we seen in two years cena/hardy/HHH/edge/Orton in the ME, WWE don't make that many actual stars after all penty of mid carders but no Main eventers, somehow i like the Irony
I wasn't criticizing you in anyway... I know what you mean, but I do think that Morrison will be made into a star. No doubt.

Tommate2k9

Yeah i didn't mean they will be stars in the next few years or anything.

I totally agree with you on the whole main eventers thing. It's becoming a bit depressing seeing that same matches over n over again.

Jayfunk

to be fair it is wrestling in general we need a new superstar like Hogan, Rock or Austin, no body is close at the moment

JC

I doubt there ever will be to be honest.

Compared to Hogan, Austin or Rock anyone in the future who even becomes top of the industry will almost certainly not have the sort of legacy that those men have left.

Wrestling is too unfashionable these days to ever have a mainstream star.

I mean WWE try to push John Cena into the mainstream media but he's just laughed at by anybody worth a damn, as the roided up, boring, freak of nature that he is.

Austin never did movies during his stint but he was an icon during the late 90's for a rebellious spirit and further loss of innocence in America.

The Rock was one of the more humerous people on TV, not just wrestling TV. Casual fans tuned in just to see him for weeks on end.

If Wrestling has another boom period then maybe there will be another major star but to be honest given the content and how the current format works, it will need alot of changes to bring about a boom of interest.

The last Wrestlemania there was a prime example of how poor the industry has taken a big dive.

Vince also has no bloody competition and as everyone knows, is happy to sit and play safe.

Maybe Vince's idea to turn it into a scripted UFC style show might have to become more serious.

TPIB

This is just a random thought on my part, but with Edge's injury, I can see Chris Jericho defending the Unified Tag Team Titles against Legacy by himself at the Night of Champions in a Handicap Match. That seems to be the easiest way around Edge not being able to compete at the pay-per-view. I can see it being one of Long's surprise announcements.

TPIB

Tommy Dreamer Vs. Christian for the ECW Title has been announced for Night of Champions. Predicting and hoping for Christian to win the title in this one.