Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

WWE MVP of 2005 so far?

Most Valuable WWE Wrestler in 2005 so far?

• Shawn Michaels

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • HHH

• John Cena

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Chris Jericho

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Edge

• Kurt Angle

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • JBL

• Batista

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Undertaker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rey Mysterio

• Eddie Guerrero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Christian

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Chris Benoit

• Total voters

Simon

Well its that time of the year again, just over half way through 2005, so time to ask again who you think the Most Valuable worker to the WWE has been this year?

Its a tough call at the moment if you ask me...

Just to remind, this has been going for 3 years now already, 2002 you guys all said Kurt Angle, 2003 you tied Lesnar and Jericho as MVP and 2004 you said Chris Benoit with a landslide majority... but at the moment who would say the WWE MVP has been?

For me I have decided to go with Batista. From the start of the year this guy has just made me mark out so much, marking out in a way I haven't done since my man Brock Lesnar was around. The man is just the coolest big man walking the planet, and everything from his entrance to his finisher to just damn how he wears a suit is just COOL.

Bla bla he isn't a great technical wrestler etc but he's just been so entertaining for me, from the Royal Rumble stuff to that TOTAL mark out moment when he finally did the thumbs down to Naitch and HHH. For me that was a classic WWE moment anyway. The feud with HHH went on a bit too long and really did damage his momentum a bit but now working with JBL he's finally looking good now and getting away from that moron HHH and going to Smackdown has really been the best thing for Big Dave.

Simon says Big Dave gets a thumbs up. MVP so far for me. Cena was a close second, cheap sauce chat aside.

On a side note, any chance a mod can make the poll public or is it too late..

Last edited:

JC

Dave's had his ups and downs this year but yeah he's probably been MVP so far.
Cena 2nd with Trips in 3rd.

The Icon

None of those clowns apart from Kurt Angle deserve to be on that list.

2 men have being the MVP's of the past 12 months or so Christian & of course Gene Snitsky.

JC

We're talking about the people who put asses in seats. Not the wrestlers who have been putting on the best matches. Although your right about Christian but I'm not so sure he's in the top 3.

GENE

I voted Edge he`s recieved a good push,he had a great IMO program with Shawn Michaels,and with the addition of Lita as his Valet i feel he has the ability and gimmick to go all the way to capturing the WWE title later this year!

Simon

Hmm.. silly me I forgot Christian. Though to be honest as good as he has been I wouldn't say he's been the most important wrestler on the WWE roster this year.

Hhah this reminds me of the Colin-Me-Draven debate on TWO radio at the end of last year now. Jeez, wonder what silly suggestions those 2 will come out with this time! Heidenreich, Dra? :p

Hart

As much as I hate to admit it, I went with JBL :eek

Reason being, he continues to be a terrific heel. I mean, who really likes the guy, really??? Stick almost any face against him and you have instant interest, purely from the point of view of wanting to see him get his ass kicked :D

It takes a lot of character development to spark that sort of reaction.

PHIZZLE

English Prediction League Winner 2006
Hate or Love its John Cena he may be the best wrestler but he's a crossover star, sells merchandise and the kids love him

Dan

TWO Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, tough call.

Shawn Michaels - As usual this has been another great year for HBK, his program with Kurt Angle was of course fantastic as most of us thought it would be, and his heel turn with Hogan has also been one of the highlights of RAW, its really been another great year for HBK and I think RAW would suffer had he not been working on that show.

HHH - To be fair to Triple H he has pretty much done what was expected of him this year, he has dropeed the blt to Big Dave, and then followed that up by losing twice on 2 PPV's, just to put Big Dave over that bit more. I don't think Triple H has done a massive amount for the WWE thsi year so I wouldn't call him the MVP.

John Cena - Without a doubt I think 2005 has been the year for John Cena so far, he has been pushed by the WWE, and so far it seems to be going well. I think Cena has alot of improvements to make, but when needed he can pull out good matches, and thats important because when all eyes are on him , he is able to prove the doubters wrong to an extent.

Chris Jericho - Jericho has had a so so year in the WWE so far, he's been in some good matches with Shelton etc on RAW and has worked well as a face for the first part of the year, but never really stood out. Now as a heel I think he will shine some more, but the WWE won't let him shine too much because they want to put Cena over. I wouldn't say Jericho was the MVP, put a useful tool in getting Cena over with the fans.

Edge - Edge has been pushed well, and the WWE creative team have used the real life heat to best of thier advantage, but apart from that he hasn't done anything great that has impressed me.

Kurt Angle - Been a good year for Kurt so fair, he's had good matches with alotof different people from Cena, Jannetty, HBK and Ric Flair, and he has showed his strengh as a performer and wrestler.

JBL - As an onscreen character JBL has been very useful in getting Cena over with the fans, much like Triple H did with Big Dave, his angles with Cena and Batista have showed he is a good heel.

Batista - Been a great year of Batista, it seems to me that week the guy gets more over and over with the fans, he isn't the best in ring talent, but for his size he is good. I have enjoyed his angles with Triple H and his current angle with JBL. I think Batista is improving all the time, and is really helping Smackdown after the departure of Cena. I think I would say Batista is the MVP 2005 so far

Undertaker - Been an ok year for Taker, his angle with Orton was probably the highlight of his 2005 year, rest has been pretty medicore.

Rey Mysterio - Been quite a good year for Rey, again pretty much one angle has dominated his 2005 year that being Eddie/Rey, which has been ok, but i think it could be better.

Eddie Guerrero - Pretty much the same for what i said about Rey. Eddie's in ring ability is still really good, but I just think he hasn't been used as correctly as he could have been.

Christian - I think this could be the make or break year for Christian, he needs to get out of the upper mid card levels and he needs to break onto the main event scene. I loved his mini feud with Ric Flair, I thought the pair had some much chemistry the angle could have been made so much more of. While I don't think Christian can be called the MVP of 2005 so fair, I do think 2005 could be the break out year for Christain.

So Batista gets me vote.

charlie haas mark

Formerly colibri hardy
Batista easily.. the guy has worked on his promos and ring skills and both have improved no end.... he is a great champion.. has had great matches.. is over with the crowd and doesn't have to resort to cheap pops everywhere he goes (cena does).. he isn't repetative (cena is) and deserves to be a champion for ages because he is entertaining and can carry his own match (Cena can't) (just proving why Cena shouldn't be MVP)

2005 is the year of the Animal..... not the year or the wanna be eminem

charlie MFkin parker

Formerly sexxxualhealing
Kurtmark said:
None of those clowns apart from Kurt Angle deserve to be on that list.
This guy knows what he's talking about :thumbup2:

I chose Kurt Angle aswell, because he and Shawn put on the best match at Wrestlemania and the year so far. I chose him over Shawn because Shawn's recent heel turn hasn't been quite what it could have been. Seems to me like he's just turned into and Eddie style heel, which bored me. Also, Kurt has been a consistant performer throughout the year in ring and out, and he can convincingly make the marks think he is about to lose. Then he hits the anglelock and ends it all. Perfect all around and this years MVP.

Russ

TWO Hall of Fame Member
I meant to post this the other week when I did the "Best Match In The First Half Of 2005" thread, and I forgot. Oh well.

I'd also be tempted to list Christian, CAP'N CHARISMA, as the No1 WWE MVP 2K5 pt1. Mr Fill's head just exploded.

His mic work has gone through the roof this year, and his promos are always a joy to watch. Christian has also recieved a bigger push this year than in previous ones, as he's main evented TV shows on numerous occassions and had world title shots. His in ring work hasn't really improved though, and I still think that Edge is a better worker. However, I'd say that the enjoyment he's given me, and the fact that I mark out every time he appears or his music plays, would make him my favourite WWE guy to watch so far this year.

People like Batista, Angle and Benoit have had decent years, but lately all three of them haven't done much that's been truely inspired. Christian is my pick of Most Valuable Player for first half of the year, with Chris Masters in 2nd place.

DraVen

I nearly voted for Cena or Michaels because Cena is by far the best mic worker at the moment and Michaels had had belters with Angle and Benjamin.

But I voted Jericho. Reason being I've felt he's had a cracking year, I've loved his heel turn, his promos and program with Cena have been top notch, his ring work is its usual solidness, and the WWE would be far less without him rather than without a Christian or Batista. Cena didn't get the nod because of his ringwork, Michaels didn't get the nod because of the Hogan program, Batista didn't get the nod because I don't particularly like him, and Angle lost favour with me after the Booker T feud. So Jericho gets the nod.

Carlito C. Cool

Formerly THE BODY
charlie MFkin parker said:
This guy knows what he's talking about :thumbup2:

I chose Kurt Angle aswell, because he and Shawn put on the best match at Wrestlemania and the year so far. I chose him over Shawn because Shawn's recent heel turn hasn't been quite what it could have been. Seems to me like he's just turned into and Eddie style heel, which bored me. Also, Kurt has been a consistant performer throughout the year in ring and out, and he can convincingly make the marks think he is about to lose. Then he hits the anglelock and ends it all. Perfect all around and this years MVP.

Kurt Angles fought too many jobbers to consider him as a contender

He's definitely IMO the best all rounder on wwe but he only wreste decent people at ppv's

Simon

Russ said:
I meant to post this the other week when I did the "Best Match In The First Half Of 2005" thread, and I forgot. Oh well.
Ah but if you had done I would have been an angry chappy since I've done this thread for the last 3 years without fail.

This is my yard.

And also, I still dont understand how people can say that Christian has honestly been the most valuable asset to the WWE so far this year. Tis a bit farfetched if you ask me. Even if you didnt ask me, I'm telling you :)

MrFill

Shawn Michaels - while he has put on some fantastic matches (Angle and Shelton), he hasn't really done anything inspiring, and his tag match with Hogan was very "blah", so he's not in the top running

HHH - Same old, same old - the best thing he's done this year is to drop the strap to DAVE~! and then vanish for a couple of months - he was getting TIRED

John Cena - See the "John Cena Drinking Game" for what I think of him - he's good at getting the crowd worked up, but his ring work is terrible

Chris Jericho - Gold on the stick, but the WWE hadn't given anything to get his teeth into - his work earlier this year was very pedestrian compared to what he can do

Edge - until the Lita thing came up, Edge didn't have an edge (get it? :D), and now he's just irritating

Kurt Angle - I firmly believe that the WWE don't know what to do with him - his HBK feud was great, but the Booker T thing was rubbish, and the Invitational needs to go somewhere

JBL - He basically carried the whole of Smackdown by himself, but he went the way of HHH, people just got bored of him being at the top for so long

Batista - DAVE~! is fantastic live, he works a crowd fantastically, but it doesn't always come across perfectly on TV - his mic work has improved tons, but he still gets blown up fairly quickly in the ring

Undertaker - Why the hell is Taker on this list? He makes a couple appearances a month, maybe a PPV appearance if we're luck, and that's it - retire please Mark (after you've put Randy over)

Rey Mysterio - Ring work wise, he's great - entertainment wise - but he has very limited mic stills - needs work on his mic skills to be a really top player

Eddie Guerrero - Eddie is loved no matter what he does, but him losing all of the time to Rey doesn't help him too much - the guy was World Champ, and if he can't beat Rey, then Rey is World Title material

Christian - I'd say he was Gold on the mic, but that's an understatement, this guy is Platinum! Problem is that his ring work isn't that amazing, it's good, but not amazing

Chris Benoit - Like with Kurt, the WWE don't know what to do with him - he can carry anybody, but they give him rubbish feuds, mainly in the mid-card

For what he's done in the WWE for this last 6 months, I'd have to go with DAVE~!

Last edited:

BRM

Forum Leader
Love him, hate him or if your just indifferent towards him. I honesly don't think you can look past John Cena.

I may be wrong but the only matches he has lost in 2005 so far has beeen the Royal Rumble and to drop the US title. He won a No1 Contendership tornamant defeating Kurt Angle in the final. He had fued with JBL which led to probably the biggest dissapointment of Wrestlemania, but in the process he won the WWE title.

He then more and made up for the disspointment of Wrestlemania by having one of the matches of the year with JBL at Judgement day. He's now been swiched over to Raw and is the Champion of the WWEs flagship show.

He sells Merchendise, has released a rap album which is far better than anybody body would of thought. He's way over with the fans. Not to forget that he's going to star in his own film in the not to distant future which will get himself and the WWE even more media attention.

Not only that but his charcheter has devolped no end. last year John Cena was all about ass jokes. Now he actully cuts a more grown up promo. His recent Y2Cheap promo could almost be taken as a decent shoot as it's what i've been thinking about Jericho for the past 12 months ago.

John Cena now seems to be taking on a Rock/Stone Cold persona and i for one like it.

charlie haas mark

Formerly colibri hardy
Cena isn't the lead in the film... he has a part but not a big one..

in regards to the arse jokes and stuff... yes he still does... so far this year he has made jokes about gays, michael cole, JBL and Orlando(gays).. ironic seeing as the chain gang could be classed as bondage :p

Proudy

I voted for Big Dave. Hes had a cracking year so far. His mic skills have come on loads and so have his in ring skills.

BRM

Forum Leader
charlie haas mark said:
Cena isn't the lead in the film... he has a part but not a big one..
Really??

TheZreview.co.uk said:
World Wrestling Entertainment are to produce The Marine starring John Cena aka Doctor of Thuganomics. Cena is in talks to star as an injured Marine who returns from the war to find his girlfriend inadvertently caught up in a kidnapping. John Bonito is to direct with 20th Century Fox likely to distribute
So Cena plays the title role of the film, yet his part is only a bit part?

charlie haas mark said:
in regards to the arse jokes and stuff... yes he still does... so far this year he has made jokes about gays, michael cole, JBL and Orlando(gays).. ironic seeing as the chain gang could be classed as bondage :p

I never said he has cut them all out i said that last year thats all he was about. Now i think his promos have moved on alot.