Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

WWE Great Balls of Fire 2017 Discussion Thread - July 9, 2017 from Dallas, TX (#1)

RFDL

Agreed. Seemed pointless to me. At least on SD, Miz was one of the star attractions. Don't really like this Miztourage thing. He has been good in the past at taking underused talent and putting them to good use but I think Bo and Axel are too far gone.
They look out of place standing next to him. Hopefully, Miz retains and moves on to fued someone else - hopefully Finn.

Matthew Penny

We're a few hours away now from kick off. I am actually quite excited for tonight. Exciting gimmick matches and the matchups are pretty exciting..

Matthew Penny

Last night was legit one of the best PPV's that WWE have done in years. Every match was really good quality, the crowd were great, the gimmick matches were done perfectly, the right people won the matches, BLOOD... BLOOD EVERYWHERE.. and I think we witnessed the double turn of Roman and Braun. I am so happy as I can't remember the last PPV WWE did that I could re watch THE WHOLE SHOW and be happy to do so.

TPIB

Overall, the pay-per-view was a good one in my opinion. The crown jewel of the card was the Ambulance Match. I don't care if WWE made it obvious that the ambulance crash was a pre-taped segment. It does bother me a bit that Reigns nearly destroyed Strowman despite Braun winning the match which basically negated that Braun won. The Ambulance Match was everything it should have been and more. Now I wouldn't be surprised if they do an angle where Strowman goes back to Bray Wyatt in his weakened state or something along those lines. I love that they actually put forth some effort in trying to make the whole ambulance crash angle feel legit (though we could have done without the on-lookers that arrived on the scene a little too quickly or the commentators using the "wrestler just died" voice) and, most importantly, it kept Braun looking strong.

Now, on the topic of the Ambulance Match, poor Heath Slater and Curt Hawkins. Sure, in the big picture, Slater and Hawkins don't matter as much since Reigns just tried to (kayfabe) murder a man but when you put yourself in the shoes of the two guys, it was kind of a bad situation for them. They get booked on a pay-per-view but legitimately no one is watching the match because a much bigger angle (that they're not involved in) is happening at the same time. I get that Slater and Hawkins aren't exactly going places in WWE but that had to suck for them.

I've heard some mixed opinions on Lesnar/Joe (mostly concerning Lesnar winning) but I think that match was everything it needed to be. It kept the belt on Brock for SummerSlam (as per Creative's plan) but, more importantly, it kept Samoa Joe from looking weak. If anything, it made Joe look like Brock's most formidable foe since Goldberg. Sure, it was a short match, but that was a given going into the pay-per-view and, in the end, it made Lesnar come across as being lucky, not dominant with Joe looking more than ready to continue the fight. My fear going into this main event was that Brock would squash Joe in a matter of minutes but I think they did the right thing here.

Alexa/Sasha was a pretty good match that I enjoyed but I was disappointed by the count-out finish. The finish is a good example of the problem I have with how they book these b-show pay-per-views; basically all the effort goes into booking the "Big Four" and the b-show pay-per-views are, as a result, treated more like go-home shows to the bigger pay-per-views like SummerSlam. In any case, I hope this leads to another pay-per-view match between these two as I thought they had a really good match.

On paper, the 30-Minute Iron Man Match was one of the matches I most looked forward to. In execution, however, it came across as a boring match that mostly consisted of both teams just hitting whatever moves they could before the time limit got to about 10 minutes remaining. It was basically a 10-minute title match stretched to fit the 30-minute time limit and it showed. As much as I love The Hardy Boyz, putting them in a match like this was not the best idea. You could tell towards the end of it that Matt and Jeff were not at the top of their game, resulting in a lot of sloppy spots and questionable pinfalls (not to mention Matt getting busted open after botching the elbow drop/splash double team spot). Like I said, based on their previous encounters, I expected a lot more out of this match and was pretty let down to be honest. The closing moments were pretty suspenseful but overall it just kind of fell flat.

I don't have much to say about the Intercontinental Title match really. It was The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose and it's the same match we've seen (what feels like) a hundred times this year. Sure, Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel were involved this time, but I'm just so tired of seeing Miz and Ambrose face each other that I hope this match will end the feud so they can both move on to something else. For Ambrose, I honestly hope he takes some time off or something as he just seems to be going through the motions.

Much like The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose, what is there really to say about Seth Rollins vs. Bray Wyatt? Rollins vs. Wyatt had the weakest story (or lack thereof) going into the pay-per-view so I didn't care about this match at all going in. WWE made the right call having this match open the show. I'm glad to see Bray win on pay-per-view (his first win since the House of Horrors Match at Payback, I do believe) but Bray is quickly entering Dolph Ziggler territory in the sense that, yeah, he won, but what does it matter? Win or lose, Bray is going to continue to be booked the same way; as a long-winded (no pun intended) cult leader who's all talk and who seemingly just randomly picks who he wants to feud with based on flimsy reasoning only to ultimately lose the feud. Basically, I hope this feud is over now as keeping it going will only expose its weaknesses (which there are a lot of).

Much like some of the other matches on the card, Enzo vs. Cass was exactly what it needed to be. It garnered sympathy for Enzo while establishing Big Cass as a dominant force. I watched Big Cass on RAW Talk after the pay-per-view and he did a lot of talk about being the next Universal Champion. I really hope WWE isn't fast-tracking Big Cass to the main event. As much as I want Cass to succeed as a singles star, it's way too soon to be pushing him that hard. There's still some work to do with him before he gets there. As for Enzo, putting him in the Cruiserweight division as soon as possible is for the best as keeping him in this feud will do nothing for either man and, with Austin Aries leaving,the division needs a top face (and, no, as good as Tozawa is, I don't see him being a top guy in the division).

I only watched the finish of the Kickoff Match so I don't know if it was any good or not but I'm glad they worked in some low blow based offense into this match (because the pay-per-view is called Great Balls of Fire, you see). I expect Tozawa to get a rematch for the title (since they set it up with that backstage segment between Tozawa and Titus) but if Neville retains the title again (which I think that he should), then what? There's no doubt in my mind that Neville is the best in the division right now and, to me, Austin Aries was the only guy that was believably on his level. The Cruiserweight division has a ton of talented guys in it, but whether it's Creative or Neville being just too good, there's no one who can match up to him right now. I think the key problem is that, while this Neville/Tozawa feud has been going on, WWE should have been working on building up a future challenger for Neville (which plays into a bigger problem, which is WWE only booking short-term) while this feud was going on but they didn't. Instead, the two big feuds that we see on RAW and 205 Live are Neville/Tozawa and this lame mini feud between Cedric Alexander, Noam Dar, and Alicia Fox. Sure, there's that Gulak/Ali feud and the new Gallagher/Kendrick feud, but those have only been featured on 205 Live and are not really geared towards making a future challenger.

Some minor complaints about the pay-per-view are that neither Finn Balor or Elias Samson were booked or even made an appearance on the show. I thought for sure the would so something with that angle on the pay-per-view but, for some reason, they did not. Also, even though the Goldust/R-Truth feud has kind of been a disappointment, I also expected something to happen between them (even if it was on the Kickoff). As I mentioned earlier, my problem with this pay-per-view and others like it is that it seems like most of the matches and angles are only there to set up bigger matches and angles down the line. We all know that Great Balls of Fire is just a b-show on the way to SummerSlam but that doesn't mean they have to book it like that. At times, the pay-per-view felt like it was just an average episode of RAW and a pay-per-view should never feel like that. Yes, the Ambulance Match and the Universal Title match remedied this but WWE had all the potential in the world with this card and it seems like they only two matches they cared about were the Ambulance Match and the Universal Title match.

Matthew Penny

The ambulance crash wasn't pre taped as Braun was all cut up and you would have noticed that in the match. But the camera kept focusing away from the back which gave Strowman plenty of time to get out before crash, then get back in the ambulance after the crash etc. I think he came out strong as ever - he was in a huge crash and still walked out!

I thought the tag match was good (Yes it was sluggish to start but they had 30 mins to kill, not to blame Hardyz) Matt bleeding was not to blame on him either, it could happen to anybody. He is also in the process of 'breaking'. I thought IC title match was also good as long as that is it for Miz/Ambrose.

I thought Bliss had a fantastic performance. Her and Sasha really clicked and the after match brawl was perfect. Lesnar/Joe was also perfect. It was a fight.. Hard hitting and Joe got lots of offence.

TPIB

The ambulance crash wasn't pre taped as Braun was all cut up and you would have noticed that in the match. But the camera kept focusing away from the back which gave Strowman plenty of time to get out before crash, then get back in the ambulance after the crash etc. I think he came out strong as ever - he was in a huge crash and still walked out!

I thought the tag match was good (Yes it was sluggish to start but they had 30 mins to kill, not to blame Hardyz) Matt bleeding was not to blame on him either, it could happen to anybody. He is also in the process of 'breaking'. I thought IC title match was also good as long as that is it for Miz/Ambrose.

I thought Bliss had a fantastic performance. Her and Sasha really clicked and the after match brawl was perfect. Lesnar/Joe was also perfect. It was a fight.. Hard hitting and Joe got lots of offence.
I'm referring to just the crash part itself. It looked like they pre-taped Reigns crashing the ambulance but cut it back to the live feed after that. Think about it. They wouldn't have let Roman legitimately drive the ambulance and risk serious injury with a crash like that. You don't see him between the time he looks in the mirror and when he is sitting in the driver's seat. Odds are they used a stunt man or something along those lines.

I don't necessarily blame Matt for bleeding. It's a risk of the business but you can't rule out that fatigue may have been a factor.

Alexa and Sasha both did good in that match but I'm a bit old fashioned, I guess. I think pay-per-view matches shouldn't have DQ or count-out finishes. I don't care if Alexa would have cheated, it just kind of takes away from a good match. I had the same problem with The Usos vs. New Day at Money-in-the-Bank.

DC

"They get booked on a pay-per-view" - That's the point; they weren't booked on the PPV. WWE (in storyline, obviously) had to stall for time and sent out two guys to have an impromptu match for the live crowd. I liked it. Made the situation seem more legit.

TPIB

"They get booked on a pay-per-view" - That's the point; they weren't booked on the PPV. WWE (in storyline, obviously) had to stall for time and sent out two guys to have an impromptu match for the live crowd. I liked it. Made the situation seem more legit.
The problem was that the live crowd did not care about it in the slightest.

DC

The problem was that the live crowd did not care about it in the slightest.
Again, that was part of the point. Two guys, with no story, are thrown out there for no reason other than to avoid "dead air" in the arena. It made it seem more "real" overall, like back in the day when WCW would have stand-by matches because an announced match either ended quicker than expected (kayfabe) or didn't get started due to shenanigans. It's meant to be a competitive sport, so there should be contingencies in place when something "unexpected" happens.