Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

WWE Clash of Champions 2017 Discussion Thread - December 17, 2017 from Boston, MA (#2)

TPIB

Ratings
The second annual WWE Clash of Champions will be a SmackDown LIVE exclusive event and it will come to you, live on the WWE Network, on December 17 from the TD Garden in Boston, MA.

The official theme song for Clash of Champions is "Champion" by The Roots, which is available now on iTunes and Spotify.

Confirmed Matches/Events

Special Referees - Shane McMahon & Daniel Bryan: If Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn Lose, They'll Be Fired:
Randy Orton & Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

WWE Championship:
AJ Styles (c) vs. Jinder Mahal

SmackDown Tag Team Championship: Fatal 4-Way Tag Match:
The Usos (c) vs. The New Day vs. Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin vs. Rusev & Aiden English

United States Championship: Triple Threat Match:
Baron Corbin (c) vs. Bobby Roode vs. Dolph Ziggler

SmackDown Women's Championship: Lumberjack Match:
Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Natalya

Breezango vs. The Bludgeon Brothers

Kickoff Match:
Mojo Rawley vs. Zack Ryder

Last edited:

TPIB

Ratings
WWE.com announced three more title matches for Clash of Champions - The Usos (c) vs. The New Day vs. Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin for the SmackDown Tag Team Titles, Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Natalya for the SmackDown Women's Title, and Baron Corbin (c) vs. Bobby Roode vs. Dolph Ziggler for the United States Title.

I understand why the Triple Threat Tag Match is happening and, even though I am sick of seeing it, I also understand why Charlotte vs. Natalya is happening again. However, what I don't get is why Dolph Ziggler is in the U.S. Title match. Dolph hasn't even been on TV since before Survivor Series let alone feuding with either Baron Corbin or Bobby Roode. I know Dolph and Roode had a feud (hey, that rhymes), but that ended like a month ago with their 2-out-of-3 Falls Match so I'm confused as to why the U.S. Title match is not just Baron Corbin vs. Bobby Roode.

Ratings
7 1
The Triple threat tag match could be okay, Charlotte vs Natalya rematch clause, Hopefully Jinder loses, and My thoughts are Dolph is in the match to eat the pinfall from either Corbin or Roode.

TPIB

Ratings
Jinder vs Cena seems to be what they want for WM. So Jinder is winning
I'm hoping they reconsider. Also, like I mentioned in another thread, there's still a couple of opportunities for Jinder to win the title back before WrestleMania so WWE could change their minds and have AJ retain at Clash of Champions then have Jinder ultimately win the title back at the Rumble or even at Fastlane.

I think Jinder Vs Cena would be a boring match. Hopefully AJ retains he offers alot more as champion. I respect the work Jinder has put in and he looks great, bit of a lackluster title reign but that's partially down too wwe booking decisions. But overall I feel the wwe title picture has been poor for most of the year it really needs spicing up with some fresh fueds.

TPIB

Ratings
Most of the Clash of Champions card bores me to be honest. Owens & Zayn vs. Orton & Nakamura is the only match I really care about. Styles vs. Mahal is more about the result than the match for me; I don't expect the match to be anything special but I'm hoping they don't put the title back on Jinder.

Charlotte vs. Natalya is a feud between two Superstars I do not like in the least so I'm hoping for a Carmella cash-in. The Fatal 4-Way Tag Match will probably be a wild, fun match to watch. The U.S. Title match will likely be the most boring match on the card and I have no interest in it. In fact, they really should have put it on the Kickoff. Breezango vs. The Bludgeon Brothers has technically had the longest build of any match on the card when you think about it but it still feels like they just threw it on the card at the last minute to fill time. Mojo vs. Ryder is on the Kickoff so I don't care about it by default.

I'll be brief with my predictions. I see Owens & Zayn beating Orton & Nakamura (hopefully with Daniel Bryan aligning himself with Owens & Zayn), AJ retaining (I think that WWE will keep AJ as champion until the Rumble or maybe even Fastlane), The Usos retaining, Corbin retaining, Charlotte retaining (but hopefully a Carmella cash-in), The Bludgeon Brothers winning, and Mojo winning.

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
Ratings
I thought the show was okay overall - it was helped by the hot crowd.

I wasn't expecting to like the triple threat for the US title, but I think they did a good job. I was really surprised Dolph won. I put Roode as Captain in my FWL team, expecting him to win!

Really enjoyed the tag match also, how over were Rusev and English!

I thought Natalya might be retiring after that speech but it doesn't appear so for now.

Owens/Zayn vs Orton/Nakamura went how I expected - still building up to something. I wonder if WWE would try a Daniel Bryan vs Shane McMahon match at WrestleMania (or multi-man match featuring both). Bryan keeps saying he's ready to go, maybe they'll consider it...

I wasn't too fussed about the title match.

Ruderz

Subscriber
Ratings
Surprisingly good triple threat match, disappointing result with Dolph winning was hoping for a Roode win and was sure it was coming until he was pulled to the outside. Felt like the crowd wanting a Roode win as well!

Fatal Four Way Tag was pretty exciting stuff! Done a 180 on Rusev and English and was pulling for them to win, especially since they were more over than the Uso's for their promo pre-match. It's clear Rusev & English are more over than the Uso's, and was pretty bland when the Uso's went over.

Was disappointed in the lumberjack match, was hoping for more of a dynamic but it ended up being a complete chaotic mess with people not really knowing what to do and how to do it and just whaling on whatever was infront of them. Riot Squad were absolutely underused and I feel like their whole build has been wasted since they didn't do anything to stand out. Carmella teased a cash in and I'd have preferred her to actually cash in but for some reason the Riot Squad had other ideas?? I have no idea. Felt the passion in Natalya's speech after the match, could feel the frustration so looking forward to see where that goes. But after a great build up I feel like this fell flat on it's face in terms of story, the wrestling was superb.

Bludgeon brothers - who cares. If they had shown up earlier after the fatal four way to lay waste to the Uso's and set up Uso's vs Brothers at Royal Rumble, THEN I would have cared. Bludgeon Brothers for me have 0 hype and 0 interest - didn't even watch.

The Tag Match with Owens & Zayne went about as expected, wasn't too surprised. Thought they worked the double referee gimmick pretty well, although I honestly was expecting one of them to ring the bell then the other overrule. I was expecting Shane to pretend to see a submission from Owns/Zayne and ring the bell, Bryan overrule and restart. I felt that Shane's complete halt of the pinfall was done brilliant, and now we have a nice little angle here. Pretty obvious how this match was going to go but it was executed brilliantly.

AJ & Jinder I was entirely overwhelmed for and barely watched, although from what I did see Jinder gave a very amazing performance and for what the two could achieve they achieved a great match. I was expecting a Jinder win so AJ winning is a surprise and probably boots Jinder back down to mid-card where he belongs for now until he can deliver - we don't want another Great Khali we've been there done that!

Are PPV's Smackdown/RAW exclusive now? I remember noticing that there was no RAW at all whereas we used to see both RAW & Smackdown titles defended here. Well seeing as Brock is a part-time wrestler holding the Universal Championship (I mean that sentence alone should cause alarm), where was the Cruiserweight (probably because of Swann?) and the RAW women's championship? RAW tag titles? I don't know I feel like there could have been so much more to this PPV than what there was. Maybe I'm remembering WWE wrong from when I used to watch, it has been a while.

Overall it was an alright PPV but nothing special or memorable - I don't think I'll be thinking or discussing this any time in the future.

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
Ratings
Bludgeon brothers - who cares. If they had shown up earlier after the fatal four way to lay waste to the Uso's and set up Uso's vs Brothers at Royal Rumble, THEN I would have cared. Bludgeon Brothers for me have 0 hype and 0 interest - didn't even watch.
I found their talk after the match really corny, feels so fake/forced. Although I have the same feeling with Braun where he roars.

Are PPV's Smackdown/RAW exclusive now? I remember noticing that there was no RAW at all whereas we used to see both RAW & Smackdown titles defended here. Well seeing as Brock is a part-time wrestler holding the Universal Championship (I mean that sentence alone should cause alarm), where was the Cruiserweight (probably because of Swann?) and the RAW women's championship? RAW tag titles? I don't know I feel like there could have been so much more to this PPV than what there was. Maybe I'm remembering WWE wrong from when I used to watch, it has been a while.
Since they brought the brand split back, PPVs are Raw or Smackdown only, except for 5, @TPIB posted the schedule for 2018 on COW here.