Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Would you ever get rid of your TV?

Ratings
I've heard people say that television is becoming obsolete, although I don't agree with that for a minute, but people also say there is no reason to even own a TV anymore because you can watch whatever you want online. Do you agree with this? I don't because I feel like even if you are not watching the TV for TV's sake, you can still have it to where the Internet is playing on your big screen. Would you ever consider getting rid of your TV? I honestly can't imagine where that is actually a thing that starts to happen. Could you live in a home without a televison?

Ratings
I could live without a physical telly, since it's possible to stream movies and programmes through my computer and tablet, but I wouldn't want to. I like to have both going at the same time when it fancies me. Plus, the storms still cause WiFi problems which makes streaming rather awful. Some people use their telly screen as their computer monitor. I see no reason for dumping it.

Ratings
I could live without a physical telly, since it's possible to stream movies and programmes through my computer and tablet, but I wouldn't want to. I like to have both going at the same time when it fancies me. Plus, the storms still cause WiFi problems which makes streaming rather awful. Some people use their telly screen as their computer monitor. I see no reason for dumping it.
Yeah, I like the idea of using my television screen as my computer monitor as well, and when I get an even bigger TV I'll like it that much more. I don't want to get rid of my television, it's one of my favorite things. I think I could be a millionaire by now if television didn't exist:redface:.

Zack T

Ratings
79 1
I use my TV as my computer monitor, it's a 32 inch. My fiancé uses her TV as her monitor, it's 50 inch. She also has her PS4 and X-Box One hooked up to it.

I don't have cable TV because I don't need it. I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and I also know how to use torrents to download shows after they've aired as well. So, everything I want to watch is easily accessible for me either on my computer or to put on my phone. I've lived like that for a little over 3 years and I haven't wanted cable subscription back at all.

Ratings
No way I could get rid of my TV. Sometimes, I just need to watch a program or event on a big screen TV instead of a small screen like my laptop or tablet. A large TV makes it easier to see the details that can get lost on a smaller screen.

Ratings
I really think I could do without TV for a long time. Unfortunately it play 24/7 in my house. Hubby keeps it on all the time. We have cable with the sports package and prime. I have learned to read while it's playing.

Ratings
Yes, I absolutely could get rid of my tv. Half the time I tend to watch tv on my computer anyway, rather than on the big screen. This is maybe because my boyfriend and I like to watch different things.

With the tv you are really stuck with having it in one room, but with a laptop you can watch what you want where you want.

I am interested in tv technology though, and would like to upgrade my tv. I wouldn't mind having a home cinema in a dedicated room - a few of my friends have that.

Ratings
I am just discovering TV on the computer @AmyRichmond . I pop in my ear buds and watch anything I want with hubby in the same room watching what he wants. I think I could get used to this.

Ratings
Hi @Kira! Yes, I find using the computer a great way to watch tv! Particularly when different household members want to watch different things. Also with earphones or headphones nobody else is disturbed.

I also use my computer a lot to listen to music. I just get YouTube up and look for interesting things to watch and listen to.