Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Wimbeldon canceled, sorry Serena

DandyMandy

The 2020 Wimbledon Championship joins the long line of big sports events that are canceled due to the coronavirus. This is the first time it's been canceled since WWII and the first time that it's been canceled during peacetime. I bet tennis stars are finding that hard to swallow, especially Serena Williams, who is attempting to tie Margaret Court's record of 24 Grand Slam singles titles. Court was a phenomenal tennis player who set the record in 1970. Wimbeldon's cancellation means Serena has less of a chance of tying it, let alone toppling that number. The US Open is set for August 24th. Will the pandemic have been contained enough by then? Do you think Serena still has a chance to succeed?

didge

We were having this discussion with a few friends about how the coronavirus outbreak is going to have far-reaching effects in the sporting world. Sooner than later, the IOC announced new dates for the Olympics. Though the road to the top hasn't been easy after childbirth, she could still bag one or two more Grand Slam titles, despite losing four such titles after winning the Australian Open in 2017.

KaliR

Aww, that sucks! I mean, for Serena. I'm surprised that they canceled already. President Trump said the NFL will go on as normal. Of course that starts a bit later (regular season).

jack25

It is alright for Serena to feel gutted that the postponement had to happen now, but if anything, it should strengthen her resolve to prove the critics wrong. She still has a chance to surpass the record once everything else has settled down.