Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Will Netflix lower prices?

DandyMandy

The streaming entertainment field was tightly packed already and now there's two new services to go head-to-head with Netflix. Disney+ has a lot to offer at a low price and they've already pulled some stuff from Netflix. Apple TV Plus doesn't have that many shows just yet, but Apple's offering a promo where new buyers of certain Apple devices can pick up a year of the service for free. So, they're bound to pick up lots of subscribers and even if they're not paying users, that'll still eat into Netflix's demographic. Do you think Netflix will feel enough pressure to lower fees?

Zack T

Maybe. But I think they might be more likely to try to add bundles or simply add more content to compete. Netflix has the largest streaming library service (I believe) as well as being the most established one, so they may feel less pressure to compete as directly by lowering prices. But if they end up bleeding out subscribers to Disney+ or others, then it could happen.

coleman

The entry of Apple TV into the fray may not immediately affect Netflix, but over time, things could change. Competition is good, especially when we factor in the law of supply and demand.

Boomer

As long as Netflix creates content as popular as Stranger Things and Orange is the New Black and stays on top of what's going on internationally, it should be okay.

coleman

As long as Netflix creates content as popular as Stranger Things and Orange is the New Black and stays on top of what's going on internationally, it should be okay.
Interestingly, I have a Netflix subscription that I haven't renewed for a while. I no longer get the time to watch my favourite shows. Like you say, great content will ensure that Netflix's popularity continues to rise. Would we say that there are different demographics when comparing these two?