Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Will David Moyes be manager of Man Utd next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmatt

Forum Leader
Subscriber
Why? Surely they'll have half-written tonight off and so can only be pleasantly surprised?

The Fury

The Last King of Scotland
Subscriber
As a United fan, no. But will glaziers give him the summer, won't be surprised

S.O.S Klopp

CMHunk

the fact that anyone would suggest a club like Manchester United would even half write off a Champions League knock out tie against a poor side who are terrible away from home in Europe, shows how far people perceive them to have receded this season.

Of course they haven't even considered writing it off.

King

Forum Leader
I think they might win tonight and get battered in the next round.

CMHunk

I'm really not sure how it's gonna play out tonight. Any Olympiakos goal poses Utd big problems, and if Utd push too hard Olympiakos do have pace on the counter particularly as the game draws on.

If Utd do through then I also expect them to get a spanking from pretty much any side still in the competition, but I don't believe for a second that the club are just writing tonight's tie off in any way at all.

bigmatt

Forum Leader
Subscriber
the fact that anyone would suggest a club like Manchester United would even half write off a Champions League knock out tie against a poor side who are terrible away from home in Europe, shows how far people perceive them to have receded this season.

Of course they haven't even considered writing it off.
No, it doesn't. It shows that clubs are run by businesspeople, not fanzine editors.

The result tonight was highlighted as hugely significant in the decision of Moyes's future. That implies that the people in charge don't know that they're more likely to be eliminated tonight then not. They do know. That doesn't mean that they will and if you gave me a free bet I'd stick it on United going through but they have a 2-0 deficit and no away goals. They have to win by three clear goals (barring ET + pens) that's a task against anyone in the last-16 of the Champions League. That's why at SkyBet Man Utd are 7/4 to qualify and Olympiakos are 2/5.

The people that run multi-million pound businesses don't go into matches biting their nails and with hope in their hearts. They plan. Of course they have considered it.

CMHunk

who highlighted the result as "hugely significant" in the decision on his future?

considering that they might lose is not the same as writing the game off. That suggests there's no pressure on Moyes or the players to win tonight which is utter nonsense.

bigmatt

Forum Leader
Subscriber
who highlighted the result as "hugely significant" in the decision on his future?
Will David Moyes be manager of Man Utd next season?
I'll place my bet after tonight's game ;)
If tonight's game isn't hugely significant you have no reason to wait until after tonight's game. The only reason to wait is if the result has a huge bearing - hence hugely significant.

considering that they might lose is not the same as writing the game off. That suggests there's no pressure on Moyes or the players to win tonight which is utter nonsense.
I've not said or suggested any part of this.

Yes, Man Utd might lose tonight. They might lose every match they ever play in. I said that they were more likely to be eliminated than qualify because of the deficit. That's not the same thing. They can win and still be eliminated. And no, if somehow it needs clarifying, it doesn't mean there is no pressure on the Man United players or manager. That would be nonsense.They are representing Manchester United in the Champions League last-16 at Old Trafford in front of 70,000 people and a worldwide TV audience of millions. They'll be under pressure.

All I've said is that the Man Utd hierarchy will know that they are more likely to be eliminated than not. They will have half-written it off, they will have planned for tomorrow. They'll have considered how it will affect their finances and will have planned their response. Of course they know that Man United might pump Olympiakos 4-0, and it will be a nice boost or as Moyes described it a "massive lift" but it will have no significant bearing on Moyes's future. The first post-Ferguson's managerial appointment's future will rest on larger issues than that. If they sack him it will because of more fundamental things then whether he got his side eliminated a round early in the Champions League to a relatively mediocre side. Ferguson did that.

CMHunk

If tonight's game isn't hugely significant you have no reason to wait until after tonight's game. The only reason to wait is if the result has a huge bearing - hence hugely significant.
a lot of assumption there. if it was a little big significant it would make sense to wait until after the game, doesn't have to be hugely. Nor did I make any reference to the result or whether they get through the tie either.

I think tonight's game, how the players apply themselves for the club and for Moyes, and the general feeling at Old Trafford, will say something about whether Moyes will be there come next season. Any bet on whether he will still be there would be foolish when I could just wait a few hours to see how that pans out first.

I didn't at any point say that the result had any bearing on whether he stays or goes, nor did I suggest that it's hugely significant.

bigmatt

Forum Leader
Subscriber
That's just pitifully disingenuous. I'm super-tempted to go through that line-by-line but as you've morphed it a weaker argument and don't seem to realise it, there seems to be little point.

bigmatt

Forum Leader
Subscriber
Condescension works better if you haven't just trotted out the trite "we need to see if he still has the dressing-room" type bollocks, mistaking it for a cracking response to somebody gently trying to point out the difference between the thinking of the relatively composed suits in the directors' box and the supporters on the terraces. You also pinned an entire argument on your unwillingness to risk a "foolish bet" without such crucial information. It's just made-up cash, if you can't pay we don't send DC round to seize your avatar or winking emoticon.

Status
Not open for further replies.