Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Why do people ask for your advice, and then tell you it's wrong?

HighlyLogical

It's so aggravating to me when someone asks me for my advice, I give it to them, and then they say something to the equivalent of, "No, that's not the right answer." It's like, first of all, it's called advice. Advice is not an exact science, it is a recommendation. Unlike math, there is no definitively right or wrong answer.
I especially don't like when people ask for advice about the relationship that they're in... "What should I do?" I use to fall for that type of question and try to offer help, but now when one of my friends asks for any type of advice, especially relationship advice, I just tell them that I don't know.

Last edited:

FlyyGurl

I think what people do is look for confirmation that what they're thinking is right. This happens to me a lot also. They ask me what they should do (friends) and when I tell them what I think, they'll try to justify the other side by saying things like, "but what about it...". I just roll with it and say "if you think that's the better option, go for it."

Meerkat

I think what people do is look for confirmation that what they're thinking is right.
You hit the right answer. People might not be asking for advice, but trying to get confirmation if what they are doing is okay. What I always say is "if it was me in your situation, then I would do this or do that". It doesn't matter whether that person rejects my opinion because I'm not telling that person what to do.

Evelyn

A lot of people are extroverts who reason things out verbally. Asking your opinion, then challenging it, raising questions, or bringing up other angles is just their natural way of testing your recommendation from every side.