Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

When TV shows get banned

Ratings
The Traveler is an example of a hit TV show that was cancelled after running for about two months. There are instances where a fully produced TV series never sees the light of day. Have you ever had your favorite show suffer this fate? What would we attribute such cancellations to?

Ratings
It seems to come down to money. If a show doesn't gather mass viewership quickly, it becomes a target. Some politics could be involved, too. Certain shows get more grace than others because of a powerful producer, director or both.

I wish there were more episodes of Life On Mars, Firefly and Freaks and Geeks.

Ratings
I hadn't thought of the money factor @headrush and it makes complete sense for a show to be cancelled if a break-even point isn't reached. I tend to think that movie production is a big gamble at times, considering the colossal amounts that are paid to some actors. Do you think that some shows get mass viewership because of the actors involved?

Ratings
Having a big-name cast plus director seems to help a serial show stay on the air. A case regarding the opposite is Netflix's cancelled American Vandal, which was a CBS production. The director wasn't well-known and the cast wasn't, either. It got great buzz and decent viewership, but neither were awesome enough for Netflix to want to keep distributing it.

Ratings
I didn't like the fact that American Vandal was cancelled after just 2 seasons though CBS TV Studios is under pressure to bring the series back. What would even say about Orange is the New Black not returning for a 7th season?

Ratings
HBO's Rome was canceled due to financial matters. It is a tough time to produce TV shows because of too many shows to watch. Include the illegal streaming online, then the number of viewers will be reduced much less so income from the ads will go to the illegal uploaders instead of the network and the show.