Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

When the Lights Went Out - movie about true poltergeist haunting

Ratings
Is anyone else a fan of this movie? When the Lights Went Out is based on an apparently true story of a poltergeist haunting in the 1960's and 1970's. The poltergeist activity was supposed to be one of the most major activities of this kind in Europe. It all took place in a little town not far from Leeds called Pontefract, which has a lot of history - it used to have a castle and a few monasteries, and battles were fought near there.

Anyway, the original family had a son and a daughter, but for the some reason, the film only features the daughter. I like the film - it really captures the tension and fear, but I wish they had stuck a little closer to the true story.

Ratings
But, when you say "the true story", does that actually mean that you believe that there really was poltergeist activity? I haven't seen the film, but would like to. However, I don't really believe there is such a thing as poltergeist activity. There must be some other explanation for what happened, even if the people it happened to think it's real.

Actually, there is quite a lot about this haunting on YouTube. Apparently you can now pay to stay in the house! It sounds to me more like a commercial enterprise than any true ghostliness!

Ratings
Ah, when I said true story, I meant more sticking to a true representation of the family members.

As for whether I believe that the actual haunting was true, well, in principle I don't really believe in ghosts and poltergeists, but then you seem to hear some stories that defy explanation.

Yes, now the house does seem to have become a commercial proposition, but I think that when the haunting began, this was not the end goal of the people who were haunted.

I would find it rather fun to stay in the house itself. It would really test my beliefs, because, if I don't believe in ghosts, what would there be to be afraid of?

Ratings
Films like this always end up scaring me way too much. I totally believe in ghosts and poltergeists. I'm a paranoid person by nature so if someone says there are unseen entities out there that want to cause me harm, I'm going to believe them. It's a curse. So I probably won't see this film because I'm sure a lot of sleepless nights would follow, but it sounds really good!

Ratings
Hi @Evie! Yes, I understand your reason for not wanting to see the film. I once saw the film "Poltergeist" with a group of friends, and nearly scared myself to death! I certainly would never watch a scary film on my own.

I saw "When the Lights Went Out" at the cinema, and so did not find the scariness as bad, being in a cinema with a lot of other people.

I must admit, I do not go out of my way to see films about the supernatural, but it was friends who took me to see "When the Lights Went Out" because the haunting happened in the area where they live.

Ratings
@AmyRichmond, don't even make me think of that film! It scared me to death as well. I've made the mistake of watching scary films by myself and I'll never do it again. At the end of the day, for me, watching a scary film anywhere is just a bad idea. The nightmares have a way of following me home.

That's neat that the hauntings happened in their area . . . neat and horrifying. Did they enjoy the film?