Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

What's the most you would pay for a ticket to a UK show?

• £10 to £20

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • £20 to £30

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • £30 to £40

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • £40 to £50

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • £50 +

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Devilish Angel

After noticing the prices of tickets to some UK shows (1PW £60 and FWA/ROH/IPW:UK's "Frontiers of Honor 2" £45), I ask the question….

I know for a fact that I would never pay £45 or even £60. I'll admit the most I have paid for a ticket was £25 which was for FWA's British Uprising and Seasons Beatings shows (ringside seat). Today I would probably pay up to £20.

Last edited:

MrFill

It depends on several things:

1) The position of the seats (I paid £60 per ticket for 5th row on the floor at 1PW - ZERO view and a complete waste of money).

2) Who was on the card.

3) Day of the week.

I'd willingly pay £50+ for a good card with a fantastic view.

Fidel Cashflow

I'm willing to break my piggy bank depending on card. And seeing as how I've never gotten to see Fleisch, Williams, Brookside etc. live, I'd shell out a fare amount.

Chriscare

As a general rule i don't go to wrestling shows if I can't get in for free unless it's a really special show

Snakeman

Formerly jakethesnake
I payed £45 pounds to see raw at the sky dome.
£10 to see an All star show in leamington spa.
Anywhere between £5-£10 to see local show's KSW,LPW,MPW,SCW,TXW.
And i think it's £15 to see FWA in Rugby on 23rd july.

Jack

I doubt I would pay if it was within a 2 minute walk, just for the fact the UK scene is a disgrace. I've seen enoough DVD's to rate the wrestlers, and I generally wouldn't rate one promotion over one of the worst in America, or one of the best "non-famous" wrestlers over a generic American indy worker.

The only show I would think about going to, would be one filled with imports - As do many others, as these are the only shows that get over 3 families in attendance.

There is just so many reason why I despise it, it's not even funny. You have the British legacy which is being pissed on, by wrestlers who A) Can't wrestle and B) (Try to) Wrestle an American/Japanese/Lucha style. We have a great tradition in the UK, for producing some of the finest technincal wrestlers ever, and some of the greatest wrestling. now you could go to a show, and expect to see one 17 year old, skinny kid in street clothes, againgst a fat 30-something "grizzled veteran", wrestling an American style.

I don't think it's just the shows themselves that's the problem - I would LOVE for our scene to be popular again, but if I make a stance (Which sounds gay) about British wrestling, maybe others will listen, decide not to attend these second rate shows, and then something will actually be done about it, because at the moment, how many companies are doing anything different right now? How many wrestlers are sticking to the technical style? Very, very few. They all want to get over by doing head-drops, and having a "bad-ass" gimmick, and other b*llshit. Darkstar mentioned in another thread, howit isn't cool tobe a face, or something along those lines. WHY?! It's insane to think about it. It reminds me of a .tk e-fed, where the workers all do moves like the Sweet Chin Music, Lariats, Pedigrees, Stunners - And gimmicks where they can't be made to ever look bad, so they choose to have a Chono-like "badass" style, and it doesn't work in the slightest. And then you have the generic style matches, where both will do their moveset, sell for nothing, so they again, try to make themselves look good, and don't use psychology. You have the generic feuds, that are complete copies of ones WWF used in 1998. It wouldn't suprise me if the person who wrote the shows, did so using EWR.

Spiral mentioned Williams, Fleisch and Brookside, and why? He is American, and has never seen them, yet knows about them. Again, why? Because they can do it. I read through the Top 50 and the number of wrestlers on that list, who will never, ever achieve one thing in wrestling is a joke. If these are supposedly the best we have to offer, it's no wonder the business over here is in such a terrible state. Carl Mizzery? I doubt he'll ever get out of Butlins and wrestling in front of 20 5 year olds in the audience. I wonder if Spiral has heard of him. I doubt it, because Mr. "Mizzery" is a nobody. At number 23 we have William Regal. Is this a joke or something? Majik is better than him? I know this is only the fans interpretation, but come on, this is ridiculous.

The wrestlers, the shows, the storylines, the bookers, the promotions and so on, arn't doing anything different, and it wouldn't even be a problem if they had an ounce of talent, but they don't. You have the UK scene copying what has gone on years before in America, with British wrestlers adopting the same style and image as Americans and so on. If they could carry it off, it wouldn't be so bad, but they can't so it is.

I'd go to see 1PW and only if they had plentyof imports on again, but that's it. I can't ever see myself going to a UK show to be honest, because I know, no matter how much I despise it, things won't change. We will have more wrestlers with corny names, and "badass" gimmicks, and more feuds that are a carbon copy of something that happened a decade ago.

Paul

So.....you dont go to UK shows yet you know they are second rate? And remember that the top 50 had to be based on who you ahve seen! I've heard a lot of good stuff about Drew Galloway for example, but I'd never ahd chance to see him before watching IWW lasy night. And Majik IS better than Regal, belive that! This poll was about better, not who had achieved the most.

As for everyone wanting to be bad ass gimmick...well tahst human nature, doesnt mean they will force it. Hell comedy gimmicks can rule, look at Darren Burridge and *ahem* Janus (gotta love the Big Red Truck). ;)

Chriscare

Let me get this right Jack, you don't like the UK scene because people aren't wrestling british style. However one of the best, and the most successful, british style wrestlers, William Regal, you don't like?

Ro_y Disco

Truth be told, I've only ever been to 2 wrestling shows before.

The first was a RAW house show at Sheffield arena in October '04. I paid £30 for a ticket and I was 3 rows from the back of the building. I can't imagine where the £20 seats were! The carpark?

Aside from the fact that the guys were like ants, it was a fairly god show. Triple H juiced, Coach shockingly revealed himself to be the special guest referee and Kane's enterance was brilliant (and scared the crap out of me!).

The only other show I have attend was in Buxton. It was a tribute show with tickets at £7 each. I was in the front row and... it was an excellent show. Despite the preconceptions over tribute shows, this had a wicked cage match with a Superplex from the top :)eek), a "legends" "last match", a spot-on impersionation of Mankind (I shook his hand!), a Table match where all the heels interfeered (booooooooo!) and a mandatory Battle Royal.

The Battle Royal was scary because someone from the audience intefered and one of the two wrestlers left the ring (under the bottom rope) to brawl with this guy. They actually fell into me at one point. It seemed very realistic and the guy left in the ring was declared the winner.

At 2 1/2 hours long it was great value for money.

Chriscare

I hate the standard battle royales that promoters insist on having at the end of shows. It's like the wrestlers version on an encore, except instead of coming out and bowing, you come out, still aching from your match, get covered in lots of uneccissary bruises and no one watching is even that bothered as they can't see half of what's going on.

Jack

Darkstar said:
So.....you dont go to UK shows yet you know they are second rate? And remember that the top 50 had to be based on who you ahve seen! I've heard a lot of good stuff about Drew Galloway for example, but I'd never ahd chance to see him before watching IWW lasy night. And Majik IS better than Regal, belive that! This poll was about better, not who had achieved the most.
I'd probably consider it something like 23rd rate ;) I seriously don't think the wrestlers can wrestle, and they arn't doign anything different to what I enjoy, but is a lot better. Simple as that. There's nothing I could get from a UK show, I wouldn't from watching a ROH, or PWG DVD.

As for Majik, I've only seen him a few times, but I don't rate him in the slightest. I know he posts on here, and I'm guessing he, like everyone involved in British wrestling will just think I'm being a pr*ck for the sake of it, but I'm not. I hate his style. I don't like to keep bringing this up, because I get the feeling no-one knows what I'm talking about, but he is another worker, just like Eddie Kingston, who doesn't make wrestling look real tome. He could do every move perfectly, but he lacks realism in his matches, so I don't care about him in the slightest. It's simple as that. I wouldn't put im anywhere near Regal's league, and I'd guess he would say that too. There's a reason one will be wrestling in front of thousands of people this week live, on PPV, againgst the future of the business, in the biggest promotion in the world, and the other is known to about 300 people worldwide.
Darkstar said:
As for everyone wanting to be bad ass gimmick...well tahst human nature, doesnt mean they will force it. Hell comedy gimmicks can rule, look at Darren Burridge and *ahem* Janus (gotta love the Big Red Truck). ;)
Yeah, Darren Burridge is excellent, I must say. As a wrestler, I don't rate him, but even more people on the scene where like him, maybe it wouldn't be so unpopular. He's got an original gimmick, he's got charisma, he shows weakness, and all this makes him interesting.
Chriscare said:
Let me get this right Jack, you don't like the UK scene because people aren't wrestling british style. However one of the best, and the most successful, british style wrestlers, William Regal, you don't like?
I don't have such a problem with the UK being a hybrid of American japanese and Mexican styles, but I do when it is nowhere near as good as either. It's like someone unknown TV channel showing a TV show called "Westenders", and having characters called "Pete Mitchell" and so on, and it being a horrible copy. If I like Eastenders, why would I watch this? It's not just the British style being dead, but it's us copying the American style, and not being anywhere near as good. We still need to stick to our style, like Lucha promotions have done though. It's original, and even if it is poor, it's still interesting. It's seems the majority of promotions are just doing the sports entertainment style, but badly.

Saz

I understand and to an element agree with your comments, so putting them to one side, you've said your comments so I will make mine.

I feel you are doing a lot of generalising based on what you have seen in the past.

There is a lot of crap out there, however, there are also gems of people who want to entertain people. Ok, the local fed is not your cup of tea, that's fine, except to a lot of people who can't afford the exorbidant WWE fees, people who are, let's dare say, patriotic to give new wrestlers a chance and grow.

If Carl Mizzery is such a nobody then why did people vote for him? You neglected to mention about his career as you don't know anything about him, your comment is "who is he?" Fine. Adam Sibley raved about him for years! Actually, you probably don't know who Adam is either...

You comment that Majik is not your preferred style of wrestler in one breath and say that the technical side of wrestling that made Britain so great is not prevailant. Have you actually seen Majik wrestle? I've been on shows with the guy and he puts a lot of technical work into his matches.

I'm a big fat (Yes I admit it) bruiser, people aren't there to see me technical wrestle, they want to see me knock shades out of smaller guys and titanic battles with other big guys.

I don't think you are a pr** at all, I do think you can't appreciate a lot of the hard work that people put into wrestling for you to say they are good, all the people you have mentioned as being good are veterans who have been around since the year Dot, Fleisch was winning KSW King of the rings for God's sake back when it first began. Everyone needs their chance to grow and you are refusing to give them that chance.

The spotty kid going up against the veteran is a lesson for the spotty kid, the basic show is the platform that stars are made, I'm sure you probably don't like Spud, but he had to start somewhere and has been doing it for a long time.

Wrestling has a fallout period, there are the kids who want to play wrestling, yes this is the awful stuff Jack is talking about, but they lose interest. But you HAVE TO GIVE THEM CHANCE TO GAIN THE EXPERIENCE.

If you don't like the product of growing our talent, fine, watch the crap the WWE are producing right here right now.

We have work to do creating potential for the future.

Saz

M.P.A.I.N

Never pay over £10 for UK wrestling i only payed if i remember right £50 for my 10 from front tickets at Summerslam (Wemberly Stadium) now that was worth it ..

MPWKeir

As a British wrestler myself, I'm somewhat biased on the subject, but I feel I should probably make a couple of points in regards to this...

There is just so many reason why I despise it, it's not even funny. You have the British legacy which is being pissed on, by wrestlers who A) Can't wrestle and B) (Try to) Wrestle an American/Japanese/Lucha style. We have a great tradition in the UK, for producing some of the finest technincal wrestlers ever, and some of the greatest wrestling. now you could go to a show, and expect to see one 17 year old, skinny kid in street clothes, againgst a fat 30-something "grizzled veteran", wrestling an American style.
I'm not taking issue with the street clothes bit, or the comment about people who "can't wrestle," because there are people out there who this applies to, and it makes the whole scene look bad, but then this is probably the case in the smaller American, Japanese and Mexican companies too, we just never see any of it. Anyway, i don't see why young Britsh wrestlers should automatically subscribe to a "traditional" style just because of where they are born. You wouldn't expect every British theatre company to perform in a Shakespearean style, or every British musician to ape the Beatles, so why expect the wrestling industry to conform to an aesthetic that is dated and out of fashion?

I was born in 1984, which means that I can not remember the days when World of Sport was screened. I enjoy watching WOS, and i love technical wrestling, but the fact is that British audiences have not been exposed to "British style" wrestling in any major way for over 15 years. There are those that remember it, but most of the people who attend shows now expect a more Americanized product because that is all they've had access to. All of the kids in the audience have been brought up on WWE etc.

I read through the Top 50 and the number of wrestlers on that list, who will never, ever achieve one thing in wrestling is a joke. If these are supposedly the best we have to offer, it's no wonder the business over here is in such a terrible state. Carl Mizzery? I doubt he'll ever get out of Butlins and wrestling in front of 20 5 year olds in the audience. I wonder if Spiral has heard of him. I doubt it, because Mr. "Mizzery" is a nobody. At number 23 we have William Regal. Is this a joke or something? Majik is better than him? I know this is only the fans interpretation, but come on, this is ridiculous.
I'm of the opinion that the top 50 voted on here is hardly representative of the broader consensus, if only because of the relatively small sample size (anything less than about a 1000 is unreliable if I recall my A level business studies) and the fact that a high proportion of voters were (or probably were) affiliated to various companies in the British scene. I'm proud to have received a lot of my training from Majik, and so again I am biased, but even if you consider his achievements in the UK to mean nothing, as i assume you do judging by your distaste for contemporary UK wrestling, Majik received a try out for WWE's developmental territory, which is a massive accomplishment for a man who weighs under 200lbs. The UKFF voted top 50 also ranks him similarly, so I'm not alone in my opinion that he is one of the best in the country.

I'd be interested to know which and how many shows you've attended in the last few years which have enabled you to form such a negative opinon of the British scene? Where abouts are you based? If you are judging shows based on DVDs, you are, unfortunately, not getting the full experience, as production values on recordings are lacking somewhat on many UK DVDs. Perhaps I (or someone else) could recommend a company near to you to reverse your opinion?

Apologies if this is poorly structured, but it's getting late!