Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

What to expect from Disney and Fox merging

Ratings
For those who are not familiar with the news, Disney emerged as the winner in the bidding competition for Fox's TV and movie division. The deal is said to be officially finalized this Thursday. This acquisition earns Disney the rights over Marvel's universe (F4, Deadpool, X-Men) and Star Wars franchise.

Some look at it positively, as there are already talks of Wolverine joining Avengers Infinity War. Others look at the upcoming domination of the industry and the possible negative impacts. What are your views?

Yes, I read that as well. Sounds like a great opportunity for Disney to acquire all those lucrative franchises. I'm sure that Fox didn't turn away the billions they received either.

Mergers have their advantages and disadvantages but this looks like one that will work well for the industry's sake. What prompted Fox to take this step?

deathlock

Looks like an investigation may be on the way soon: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-government-might-be-investigating-the-disney-fox-me-1821355343

As weird as it sounds, I can see why it happens. There has to be a balance and a fair competition for a market to be effective. This merger possibly allows Disney to monopolize the entertainment industry. As you all know from playing the Monopoly game, when one player has the majority of the cities, it's doomsday.

Ratings
Thanks for sharing. I have just read about how Disney banned LA Times journalists from reviewing their movies or coming to the screenings because LA Times wrote something against Disney. There are also rumors about Disney putting demands on theaters over showing The Last Jedi. There are already signs of arrogance even before the merge, so I guess the concerns are valid somehow.

I hope the investigation will proceed safely and fairly.