Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

What is it?

SuperKick Kid

What is it that keeps you, the smark, watching wrestling?

Is it the angles? While there have been many past great angles, they only seem to come along every once in a while.

Is it the quality of the wrestling? Great wrestling these days is mainly saved for the PPVs, and occasionally TV main events and even then great wrestling can be scarce.

Or is it because you care about the wrestlers?

What did you feel the first time you found out Owen or Eddie or Benoit had died?

Did you feel tears come into your eyes? Did you feel sick? Did you feel like someone had just kicked you in the stomach?

Personally, I realized that while the quality of wrestling and angles are important to me....there is nothing more important than the wrestlers themselves.

I invest myself so emotionally into these people's struggles to get to the top when I watch them. Namely right now CM Punk and Jeff Hardy. I probably would like nothing more right now than to see them succeed and eventually someday make it to the top of the game.

How about right now? A ton of wrestling fans are emotionally invested in the return of Chris Jericho. Despite what he may be like physically after these years out of the ring, maybe he would be horrible in the ring, but yet the fans would still love him. All of this hype right now is because of 1 man's return.

Now we look at the flip side of the coin and look at John Cena. When he is around, almost all fans are emotionally invested in this guy, whether they like him or they hate him. Just watching ECW ONS 06 the other day, the amount of hatred Cena got when he was at the show was unreal. So much that I think the crowd cared more about Cena losing than they cared about RVD winning.

So what is it?

The Great Ahmar

I just love wrestling, always have done and always will. Nothing will stop me from loving wrestling. I love getting caught up in a special moment, I love getting really into a match and begging for one guy to lose and my favourite to win like it's all real, I love the comedy, I love the atmosphere, I love some (Some not all of it!) of the OTT unbelieveableness (is that a word?!) in wrestling. Man I'm such a nerd.

EDIT: Also to me Wrestling isn't all about the quality of a match, I don't just want ***3/4 matches, I want to be entertained with promos, angles and all that stuff. I want to be emotional involved in what I'm watching and not left thinking "WTF!" In a bad way.

Last edited:

Al Stevens

Even though i post on here and read some of the news i really wouldn't consider myself to be a Smart mark. I am just someone who loves watching Wrestling to the extent that i have decided to give it a try myself.

What keeps me watching all the time is a love i have had since i was little i dont care about the angles i dont care about how many moves one person can do or the fact there is backstage BS, i have the ablity to watch a for agurement sake lets say John Cena match and enjoy it along side with a Samoa Joe, CM Punk match. I've said before i dont watch just one company i try to watch as many as i can.

With regards of Chris Jerricho's possible return i am intrested to see how they do it but yet the videos have sent the creative juices of a video and film student into over drive, because personally they are as intresting to see as Chris's first debue teasters and even Taz's.

Out of the big main deaths i think i was effected more by Eddies than benoit's or Owens i remember when i first read it on here i cant really explain it but it was like my gut was removed by my throat box and then when ever they showed the Hurt or Here with out you tribue videos i would break down into tears. Even now if i hear those songs they always bring back the visuals of the videos

Nemesis Enforcer

What got me so into wrestling is hard to say, I had for a while heard about this thing called WWF and was always saying I wish I could watch it then it came on SKY and I got my first taste and was hooked on the action, the hard slams everything and the rest was history I watched every show they showed

What keeps me watching is habit mostly I would say, its been quite a while now since I was really into wrestling but I have never stopped watching or paying for the PPV's we have to over here in the UK and I can't see me ever stopping really, its just engrained into me now after so many years of watching

In regards to what I felt when I heard Owen, Eddie and Benoit had died, to be honest I didn't feel anything really all they were to me is people I watched on TV on a weekly basis I never got that emotionally involved with them or any wrestler TBH

Naitch

What keeps me watching? A lot of it might well be habit but I think it is more than that.

'Wrestling is fake', 'wrestling is gay', 'wrestling is lower on the totem pole than prostitution'. We've heard them all before and yet for some reason I still watch and will continue to watch. Unless you're a fan of wrestling it isn't easy to determine why people like it. For me, it is entertaining, as Bobby Heenan once said wrestling isn't a cure for cancer, it isn't a heart transplant, it is supposed to be fun. For a few hours a week we can suspend disbelief and buy into a world where people somehow get Irish Whipped and get repeatedly punched in the face and not have a mark on them. It is over the top, outlandish, one big circus, there is something for everyone. It is about emotion and getting invested into all these guys even though it is a carny, worked business.

I like hard hitting wrestling but then sometimes I like the wackiness of something like The Boogeyman which could only be seen in the crazy world of wrestling. I like two talented guys taking the crowd up here and then bringing them back down again and them taking them up even further in a big rollercoaster ride of a match. I like Dick Murdoch punching people in the face, I like Bockwinkel being cocky. I like the glass breaking and the subsequent Austin pop, I like Flair in a sharp suit getting riled up one minute and then telling all the ladies from 18-28 to meet him in his hotel room later the next. I like Wahoo chopping bitches in the chest, I like Eddie Gilbert strutting to the ring to Donna Summers, I like Hansen running to the ring, steamrolling over fans. I like when people like King Booker and MVP emerge out of nowhere, stealing whatever show they're on and making me remember why I loved wrestling in the first place. I like Terry Funk doing his crazy punch drunk boxer sell, I like SID Powerbombing jobbers through the ring and into the earth's core. I like Fit Finlay using that Short Arm Clothesline move on suckers, a thing so great it should be exhibited in the Louvre and be talked about for generations to come in history textbooks. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand? The 1929 Wall Street Crash? Those were mere ripples on the pond compared to Finlay Short Arm Clotheslining mofos out of their boots. Unless you're a fan, you won't really understand why all of that and MUCH more is so great

Sure it can be stupid sometimes, sure sometimes it can be mind numbingly, brain cell killingly horrible, sure I don't like everybody and some wrestlers make me lose the will to live but when it is done right, it can be a hell of a thing. Even if it is 'gay' and 'fake' etc etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda.

Last edited:

Jung

Its a wonderful spectacle, like Barry Blaustein said in Beyond The Mat, its a show, who cares if its not a real sport or a real sitcom show, its a spectacle.

The great promos, different type of matches, the buzz from the crowd, the anticipation from those big moves and big matches, thats wrestling.

And while I watch very little wrestling these days compared to what I used to watch, the force of habit to keep up to date with wrestling continues. Because you get those moments when your hair stands on end, when something truly surprises, when something is done perfectly, that you can't walk away. Its like supporting a football club. They have their ups and downs, crap managers, awful results, but its all made worth it for the days when they are great, they play brilliant football, they are involved in a thriller where they come out on top.

So for all the medicrity on average of today's wrestling you might get a match or an angle which is a treasure and something which only a wrestling show and crowd could provide.

Its something I've never got with any other form of entertainment.

Kanenite

Part of it would be habit after watching so many years, but for the major part I just love watching Wrestling. It's really hard for me to explain to someone why I watch Wrestling but if you're a fan you can fully understand exactly what draws you in every week to continue to watch. I suppose it's a huge spectacle, it offers something different to normal tv viewing and is so unique. The talent of these men, even though fake is incredible, they throw each other around the ring, performing different holds, it draws you in. The vast difference in contrasting styles of Wrestlers, seeing the big men, the little men, the crazy men, the talented men, it's just all so entertaining. The different match types like TLC, Cage, Hell in a Cell and when the big spots play a part. The promo's people cut and the charisma of certain Wrestlers. The buzz of the crowd is also incredible, if you go to watch it Live you'll understand how amazing the atmosphere is, my dad isn't a Wrestling fan yet when he's been to a couple of shows he's said he enjoys it, it's a laugh and provides great entertainment. Just seeing 2 men face to face in a big match waiting to charge at each other while the crowd go wild is enough to keep me watching.

Last edited:

sarahrko

To see Randy Orton as the WWE champion after 3 years of waiting for another World Title Reign. A lot of people think he doesn't deserve it, that's okay but this is the main reason I watch today. I've watched him throughout his career and there have been a lot of ups and downs, mainly negative but it feels awesome to know he's at the top again.

I really enjoy following a certain superstar on their journey with the WWE, how they evolve, better themselves, etc. I have done so with Randy Orton, CM Punk, Mr Kennedy.. but Orton is the only real reason I got back into wrestling, and the only reason I love it today..

jim vs shark

as i got older i learnt to appreciate wrestling as an art almost, which means i can appreciate a good performance, which granted are only ever kept for ppvs it seems

not only that there's the whole mania about wrestlemania, and how everyone prepares for it

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Origionally, N64 games got me into wrestling. It started with WWF Attitude and through that I bought videos and through those I started watching. For me then it was all about story lines and gimmicks, the wrestling was secondary.

I lost the love in about 2001, but got it back in 2006 thanks to Japan and RoH were the wrestling is much more imaginative and artistic and the stories more inventive and adult. Right now, I literally have no idea why I watch WWE. I think it's just because I recognise the names. The story lines and vast majority of the in ring stuff bores the hell out of me. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not my thing. TNA on the other hand has great in ring stuff, but the piss poor booking just frustrates me so much that I stopped watching it because I was getting too angry.

To recap; I watch WWE because it has "superstars", great production, recogisable names and an air of importance that makes every match seem that little bit more globally important. It's also the easiest to watch for me.

I watch RoH and Japan because the athletisism and bumping is EXTREMELY impressive, the storylines are fresh, the comady is genuinly funny and the results are less predictable adding genuine suprise and suspence into the mix.

I don't watch TNA because it makes me want to cry.

Last edited:

Da Showstoppa

What keeps me watching? A lot of it might well be habit but I think it is more than that.

'Wrestling is fake', 'wrestling is gay', 'wrestling is lower on the totem pole than prostitution'. We've heard them all before and yet for some reason I still watch and will continue to watch. Unless you're a fan of wrestling it isn't easy to determine why people like it. For me, it is entertaining, as Bobby Heenan once said wrestling isn't a cure for cancer, it isn't a heart transplant, it is supposed to be fun. For a few hours a week we can suspend disbelief and buy into a world where people somehow get Irish Whipped and get repeatedly punched in the face and not have a mark on them. It is over the top, outlandish, one big circus, there is something for everyone. It is about emotion and getting invested into all these guys even though it is a carny, worked business.

I like hard hitting wrestling but then sometimes I like the wackiness of something like The Boogeyman which could only be seen in the crazy world of wrestling. I like two talented guys taking the crowd up here and then bringing them back down again and them taking them up even further in a big rollercoaster ride of a match. I like Dick Murdoch punching people in the face, I like Bockwinkel being cocky. I like the glass breaking and the subsequent Austin pop, I like Flair in a sharp suit getting riled up one minute and then telling all the ladies from 18-25 to meet him in his hotel room later the next. I like Wahoo chopping bitches in the chest, I like Eddie Gilbert strutting to the ring to Donna Summers, I like Hansen running to the ring, steamrolling over fans. I like when people like King Booker and MVP emerge out of nowhere, stealing whatever show they're on and making me remember why I loved wrestling in the first place. I like Terry Funk doing his crazy punch drunk boxer sell, I like SID Powerbombing jobbers through the ring and into the earth's core. I like Fit Finlay using that Short Arm Clothesline move on suckers, a thing so great it should be exhibited in the Louvre and be talked about for generations to come in history textbooks. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand? The 1929 Wall Street Crash? Those were mere ripples on the pond compared to Finlay Short Arm Clotheslining mofos out of their boots. Unless you're a fan, you won't really understand why all of that and MUCH more is so great

Sure it can be stupid sometimes, sure sometimes it can be mind numbingly, brain cell killingly horrible, sure I don't like everybody and some wrestlers make me lose the will to live but when it is done right, it can be a hell of a thing. Even if it is 'gay' and 'fake' etc etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda.

That sums it up beautifully. I love the way the matches are put together and how the moves are executed, I love the highs of the payoff of a beautifully crafted and set angle - I love the adrenaline rush from a classic match or a huge pop.

I love the anticipation of seeing guys return or big title matches, or that unmatchable anticipation of wrestlemania each year.

Because my wife Liz is a big wrestling fan, wrestling is a constant in our lives - friends relay the latest news, I trawl the web when I can.

It's very difficult to explain in simple terms. These days I watch out of habit, but I can still get fired up over wrestling - take these 222 save-us promos, the thought of seeing Jericho return - or even the origins being paid off is intoxicating.

Wrestling is something that took me through my childhood - a link to the past perhaps. Reminding me that HBK is still the man I looked up to through my formative years, just a part of me that never grew up. Football has the same effect.

WWEbelfastgal

I've been a WWF/WWE fan for about 17-18 years now and I don't think I'll ever be able to tear myself completely away from it. Yes, I may not watch it as much as I did when I was a kid, or as much as I did even 4-5 years ago but I still love it. I always keep up to date everyday with the daily WWE news and what's going on, I try to catch Raw & SD every week when I get the chance. I love both the fun and serious sides to it - I love watching really funny, OTT angles and even though sometimes it's crap or mind numbingly boring, I still find myself loving it strangely. I also love the serious side - a great, technical wrestling match which thrills the audience and has them on their edge of their seats. I love how it makes me smile when I'm maybe a bit sad or whatever, seeing somebody like Mr.Kennedy or Undertaker on the screen brings a huge smile to my face and I love how I have the upmost respect for each and every superstar who busts their behinds in the ring for us fans week in and week out.

Achilles

I said near enough the same thing to my mate who went with me to Sheffield a few weeks ago!

What is it that keeps us interested in WWE and wrestling as a whole?

Being a fan myself since the age of around 6 years old when I used to watch wrestling on saturday afternoons, I have grown to love the WWE as a side passion.

I cant put my finger on what it is but I think its a combination of excellent and gripping storylines when there is a really big one ie: the Invasion or something really major happening.

The passing of Eddie Guerrero was a huge loss to me, and I did feel it very hard - which was very very weird, as I dont know the bloke at all.. but I think its something after watching and reacting to the bloke's hard work over the years that you get to thinking that they are superhuman - and I have to admit, I did shed a few tears on the Raw tribute show when all the wrestlers stood on the stage and tolled the honour bell.

The same goes for Mr Perfect - for me, one of the best athletes I've ever had the pleasure watching... I shed tears when I saw his wife & family at the Hall Of Fame ceremony.

Over the years, I've seen some superhuman athletes emerge - from Bret Hart who I've always fondly remembered and as soon as that music hits - the hair stands on end.

Then was the emergence of Kurt Angle - another super athlete and another of the best wrestlers of all time.

There is nothing like it in the world for me - and I cannot imagine what watching a major event would be like in the crowd in the US.. I've seen the UK crowd reaction, and I can imagine it being a hellova lot more!

All I can say is - I cannot wait until Jericho comes back ... even if he is the worst wrestler on earth, the buzz it would give me would be enough - and I can imagine the same for a lot of other people as well.

I love the WWE, I always will.
Its running in the family now - because I've passed it down to my nephews as well.. so hopefully, there will always be a fan in the family at some point :D

etz

I have had a sort of on again/off again thing for wrestling since the heyday of WCW and I can vaguely remember seeing a tape of a PPV, think it was RR, when I was much younger than that.

I like the atmosphere, the feeling the crowd can import to a match. I like good promos and sensible stories. I mark for true wrestling ability, but I can't say it's overly entertaining. I've even fast forwarded through matches which I should like (Finlay vs Mysterio springs to mind). I watch wrestling for the unexpectedly good things like Tista/Taker at WM23 and the inevitably, almost comically, bad things like that missed neckbreaker on Raw. I also watch in the hope that things will get better, that Vince will realise that the cruisers are the biggest unused asset he has. That, someday, a new Austin or Rock or even a Jericho will appear.

DarkMatchJobber

I remember crying my eyes out when Eddie passed away because the guy was living proof that you could turn your life around and overcome anything,wrestling is definitely less entertaining than when he was around.

Wrestling is a distraction from my own problems and when it's booked well it puts a big smile on my face and I remember that not everything sucks.

People take the mickey out of it but I defend it as best I can because I'm a proud fan like many here.

Jimmy Wang Yang

Basically, what keeps me watching wrestling is just the love for it.
I can't really explain why I love it so much. You never know what you will see.
The lights, the cameras, the actions. There is just something about it to me.