Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Ugh, cost of lumber

RandyW

We are in the beginning stages of building a new garage. I can't believe the cost of lumber and the shortage too. The pressure treated looks horrible with knots and cracks! Anyone else seeing this increase?

DandyMandy

I'm not much for DIY, so I have no real experience with buying lumber. I'm surprised that it's costly though. I figured they'd lower prices due to COVID-19 and the lack of shoppers. I hope you find something reasonable.

Dust and Rust

This might be because of the Coronavirus. Construction stopped or slowed, inventories went up, mills laid off workers then.........BAM construction picked up again. The other industries are trying to catch up but in the meantime, inventories are low enough to warrant the spike in prices.

Carrie

Yes! It is only getting worse too. The prices have almost doubled here. We built a sandbox with pressure treated wood. It cost us $150 for the wood alone.

LinemanM

My parents want to build an addition on to their house. They had a contractor come over for an estimate. Holy smokes! It was crazy high. The contractor said the cost of lumber is out of control right now.

ShadowEdge

How is your project coming along, @RandyW? We recently had someone expand our deck and it wasn't pricey. The contractor mentioned getting a deal. Apparently some places give discounts to contractors, so if you have a friend in the profession, they might be able to get you a better deal.

Fordy

A coworker was trying to get wood to build a swingset. They waited over a month and when it was delivered it was crap! I sure hope this shortage ends soon because we are going to build on too (fall project).

RandyW

Shadowedge, it's not coming along very good. I had to pour the floor first and the concrete company changed my date. He pushed us off for 2 weeks! I checked lumber prices again and it's crazy.