Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

TNA at it again, will they ever learn?

Dave7g

:D

New Japan Pro Wrestling's Hiroshi Tanahashi will be coming in to face AJ Styles at the 1/15/06 Final Resolution PPV. That should be a hell of a match. Hiroshi Tanahashi is seen as the "next generation" of headliner in New Japan Pro Wrestling. He debuted in 1999, but first grabbed attention by scoring an upset over Scott Hall in 2001. That started his climb up the ladder in New Japan and in 2003 he proposed that New Japan create the U-30 Openweight Title, a belt that could only be contested for by wrestlers under the age of 30. Tanahashi won the tournament to become the first champion, and this year won a tournament to claim the title again. On January 4, 2005 he and fellow rising young star Shinsuke Nakamura headlined the annual New Japan Tokyo Dome show, the biggest event of the year from the company. Nakamura won that match (and the U-30 Title), but the real story at the time was two young stars headlining the event over established stars Masahiro Chono, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Riki Choshu. At 29 years of age, he's seen by many as being the future of New Japan Pro Wrestling. His style is very fast-paced, with his favorite moves being his Lightning Speed Cradle (a fast small package) and the Sling Blade, where he charges an opponent, swinging around them into a sleeper hold and driving the back of the opponent's head into the mat. My thanks to Buck Woodward for putting together the Tanahashi bio.
From Pwinsider.com

Awaits Gringo's approval!

Evil Gringo

Not really Evil, but I like Burritos
They also forgot the Dragon Sleeper, Suplex, Rocket, Half Hatch Suplex etc etc....

Should be an awesome match and hopefully one given respect and length... Otherwise I'll go and kick their heads in!

Drake

I have no idea who this jap guy is, but I guess I'll find out on Final Resolution.

If Gringo says it's gonna be good then im happy. :D

Drake

Wait, I saw that guy in the NJPW thread, on some news you posted yesterday I think. He was in a contract signing right ?

Evil Gringo

Correct... That was for a match against fast rising Hirooki Goto for the IWGP U-30 title... He won with a modifed Dragon Sleeper hold in a good match...

He is also fighting Shibata at the Dome a day before the match against Styles...

Busy month for Tanahashi...

Drake

Cool, I knew I saw him somewhere. :D

I'll try and find some of his matches on a puro forums Twiggie got from you. :)

GENE

Good NJPW sure are getting alot of benefit from this working agrrement aren't they?

Christof

I'm sure if they asked nicely Jarrett would go to Japan and have several of their top stars lay down for him :thumbup2:

Evil Gringo

Well Styles was supposed to be involved over at the Dome show but that hasn't happened as yet...

But Styles does have a reputation as a wrestler who falls to Japanese oppoistion... CIMA took him out this year in RoH and he has fallen before in Japan whilst in Zero One Max...

Only Japanses wrestler I think he's beaten is Kaz Hayashi over in RoH during 2003...

But Tana will more then likely job... But hopefully it will be longer then 5 minutes this time as unlike Joe and Liger these two are similar in size and build and speed...

Dave7g

I think they have learned their lesson about Joe and Lyger, there were a lot of people complaining about how short it was, but they did have to rearrange a whole show because of Nash!

jimi kane

Awsome. Hes one hell of a wrestler and I cant wait to see it. I hope he beats AJ, and yeh I hope its a longer match.

Chris2K

Just found this at TNAWrestling.com

TNAwrestling.com has learned that it will be an "International X Showcase" at the TNA "Turning Point" Pay-Per-View on January 15 as one of the fastest rising stars of New Japan Pro Wrestling – Tanahashi – will travel to the United States to face X Division pioneer "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles.
Nothing like knowing the name of your own PPV.

Chris2K

Hey, that was a live TV show, not an official website press release :p