Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

The uptake of automation

coleman

There is a prediction that robots could take over 20 million manufacturing jobs in 10 years. They could bring benefits regarding productivity and economic growth, but they won't be cheap to put into use, right?

Bill W

Future technology will lean towards automation, and some jobs could be at risk. Just as you say, the catch is that the use of robotics is expensive, and it may take a while before every manufacturing company adopts this.

Classified

But what about the people out of a job because of it? How does that factor into "economic growth?" Technology has its place, don't get me wrong, but not at the expense of people earning a living.

scatman

but they won't be cheap to put into use, right?
Right. Which is why most companies that think about this think long term. They almost have to. If they really want to be responsible though, they will also invest in training programs for the workers who get replaced by robots. Humans still have to work.

ShadowEdge

We've been under this threat since I was a teenager and I'm beginning to doubt that it will ever happen. Not because tech isn't smart, but because people don't like change.

didge

But what about the people out of a job because of it? How does that factor into "economic growth?" Technology has its place, don't get me wrong, but not at the expense of people earning a living.
My thinking is that robots get things done swiftly. If we are talking manufacturing, companies can produce more at a shorter and save more in wages and salaries. The question would be, what happens to those that get laid off?