Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

The results thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Gringo

Not really Evil, but I like Burritos
Right here is the deal...

We all talk about particular results in seperate threads all the time... So why not have a super thread, a super results thread where you can post a result that means alot to you and your opinion on it...

This can be any sport as well because this is the OTHER SPORTS forum, everything but wrestling is cool in this thread...

So I'll start...

Tonight Man Utd defeated Benfica 2-1 in the second group stage game for both teams with alot on the line for both sides, espically United who've had a bit of a sticky September...

We played well, made good chances and when they threatened Van Der Saar seemed capable to their efforts... except a fantastic Simao freekick....

But we should have scored more and I came out with a few positives as a Man U fan (as well as the fact we now top the group)... Bardsley was great at right back, Richarson looked like left back is now no longer a problem for him and Giggs looks hungry and talented enough to still merit a place in the side...

Also Victor... that was 4-4-2 and gues what... it worked!

PHIZZLE

English Prediction League Winner 2006
yeah good result tonight had to win this one.

I thought giggs and ronaldo stood out tonight and smith and richardson done well in their adopted position

O shea done well what important player he is for Man U due to his versatility god knows what positions he'll play next game

On to Fulham now they really have to get a result against Fulham to kickstart the season again

JC

I agree with most of what has been said but Smith is really not inspiring me with confidence. He looks very average in that position and simply average won't do in the champion's league.
Fletcher is solid but never seems to have anything about him, he needs to start bulking up a little a feel if that is his entended role; just to sit and link the play.
O'Shea is crap at centre back and always has been, I would have liked Fergie to start Pique tonight but he went for experience I guess and luckily his first mistake went unpunished.
Richy and Bardsly were fantastic I thought. Rich really knows how to pass and link up with Giggs and Bardsy was solid as he was in the Debrecen game.

Apart from that the rest played well. Ryan Giggs was man of the match I feel with Ronaldo close behind.

On a side note: Anyone notice Ruud didn't slip once in the 2nd half...I think Fergie might have threatened him into changing to studs at half time :D

Last edited:

Wolverine

I personally thought United were fortunate to win tonight. Giggs' goal was due to a lucky deflection and if Benfica had stuck away their chances (Miccoli had a fabulous opportunity to score just after Benfica's goal) it could've been a different result. There were positives for United like you say Gringo - Bardsley showed he can play at the top level, Richardson adapted well to playing left-back (although Heinze will still be sorely missed) & Ruud was magnificent - 'twas unlucky not to score in the first half and showed he hasn't lost his predatory instinct in front of goal

And on a somewhat related note, I honestly think that Alex has to step down at the end of this season. They haven't won anything of note for the last two seasons and finished outside of the top two twice in last four seasons. They do not even remotely look like challenging for the title this year (I know it's early but honestly, how many points do you think Chelsea will drop this year?) and that's worrying. For a club the size and stature of Manchester United, this is unacceptable. I know Ferguson has been a legend for them but there are many managers out there who could do a better job with the resources available to United. Alex's refusal to replace Keane/Scholes when it's obvious they are well past their best, his insistence on playing Fletcher (who in my opinion would not get in many mid-table sides), his stubborness to refuse to accept that his 4-3-2-1 formation isn't working and the bewildering decisions he has been making of late (Alan Smith as a defensive midfielder?) lead me to believe that it would be best for Manchester United if he left at the end of the season

Alan

I would like to talk about a result, the Jets result on Sunday night. After a lot of rehabbing over the summer QB Chad Pennington had returned to fitness ready to lead our charge to the playoffs. But early in the game against the Jaguars he was pulled off due to a torn rotator cuff. The same injury that hurt him and the Jets last season, another surgery will more than likely kill off his Jets career, even though he is a great QB on his day. Plus to make matters worse our back-up QB was injured as well! Things are not looking good for the Jets. We made mistakes on sunday, mainly putting Chad back in whilst injured, as he threw costly interceptions that eventually led to the Jaguars scoring a touchdown in overtime. As usual our defence was superb, scoring 6 points of their own, but our offence is very shaky under Heimerdinger, and now they will be even worse.

West Ham, my beloved Claret and Blue army, played Arsenal over the weekend, and in all honesty we outplayed them for most of the game. Our midfield had the run of the game, but both defences were outstanding. Even so, a nil-nil draw against Arsenal is something to be proud of, especially as we have taken 11 points from these first 6 games, a lot more than many hammers fans would have predicted let alone any "experts". I thought it was a great result, and the Hammers are doing us fans proud!

The Genetic Jackhammer

I guess i watched a completely different match to everyone else in regards to the man united v benfice game.I thought benfica at the least deserved a draw out of the game.somebody said o'shea done well??he let the ball slip under his foot after i think it was fletcher who gave it away and only for a good save by Van der sar united would of been 1-0 down.Ferdinand was rubbish did you see him for the freekick that Simao scored??he was the only one in the wall who didnt jump.also ronaldo was crap he kept taking round people and then losing it most of the time.the only ones who impressed me where Richardson at left bk as i thought he did a good job considering it wasnt his position.Bardsley had a decent game as well.And im not even gonna talk about smith and fletcher...........

Last edited:

JC

I actually thought both teams could have nicked it.
Rangers gettin beat by 1-0 goal is quite respectable to be honest, can't expect more away to Inter.

Russ

TWO Hall of Fame Member
Inter dominated most of the game, and Rangers were pretty lucky to get away with it only being 1-0 considering some of the chances Inter missed, like the penalty. Saying that though, the Inter goal was a nasty one to lose as the ball took a terrible ricoche.

Rangers still have a great chance of going through to the next stage though, with Porto losing tonight. There's still a lot of work to be done, but they've got a big chance of doing something if they can beat Artmedia in at least one of the games.

PHIZZLE

The Crippler said:
Anyone else totally not surprised that Chelsea and Liverpool drew 0-0 tonight?

Yeah especially as that seems to be the result of most liverpool matches lately

The Crippler

I don't think Inter dominated that much. Rangers dealt with them ok defensively. Rangers allowed them to play a lot of football in front of them and theres a difference between allowing a team to do that and having a team dominated. Granted we barely created anything but Lovenkrands was unlucky with a chance.

I thought we applied ourselves well. Inter deservedly won but 1-0 is pretty fair. We were never expected to win the game and nor should we have been. We haven't spent much on players compared to Inter so this isn't a big defeat.

In saying that, Hamed Namouchi is an atrocity. I'm not really one that likes to jump on players or managers but he isn't a Rangers player.

Artmedia winning in Porto is an interesting one. It's a good result for Rangers. With Porto playing Inter twice next, that is going to be very hard for them. If Rangers can get at least 4 points off Artmedia then I think we've a great chance of progress.

BRM

Forum Leader
Thought Rangers defensively looked pretty ok, far more comftable than they have looked in the SPL recently.

The goal was little hard to take but hey you win some you lose some. I don't think Rangers will of budgeted for something tonight, but the Bratislava result in Porto does put an intresting slant on the group, should be exciting.

Seeing the highlights from the Madrid game and Beckham looked pure class playing wide right :rolleyes2:

Sven take note

The Genetic Jackhammer

Beckham might have played well,but lets be honest this was Olimpiakos, they are rubbish, and the amount of space that beckham got for pretty much every single cross that he produced was shocking to be quite honest.On the chelsea v liverpool game, at least liverpool tried to win the game.It looked to me like chelsea where playing for a draw for pretty much the whole game and that was emphasized when he took off drogba and put on that donkey huth.

Jung

To be fair Drogba virtually played centre mid most of the game, and Lampard barely figured apart from set pieces.

Chelsea were poor, and Liverpool should have had a pen, but apart from that nobody did anything. The Bridge game I think will be different though, as maybe Chelsea fans might get on their teams back, in 3 CL games, Chelsea have won 0, and not even scored, and looked pretty poor each time.

Jack

Shocking game I thought, but nice to see Bolton get the result. We were pretty lucky I must say. The own goal was a complete fluke, and before that we hardly had a chance.

The Crippler

Better game today. Chelsea play like that week in week out then the league will be well over by Christmas. They were excellent today in every aspect. Their support play for Drogba was excellent, defensively they were great as per usual and they played some good stuff. Some very well worked goals today, Duff's goal was great. Magic play by Drogba and it was well taken. What a great finish by Gerrard also.

PHIZZLE

I think we could see a record points tally this season from Chelsea

Wolverine

Today's match was nothing like what I expected. You would never believe that they were the same two teams who played out a boring stalemate on Wednesday. I have to commend both teams for having an open, exciting game today.

Although the scoreline was flattering, Chelsea thoroughly deserved their win. They were the more inventive team going forward and DROGBA~ was outstanding with four assists (even if the third one was meant to be a shot). Cole was poor, but the rest of Chelsea 's attacking players were excellent. Compare that to Liverpool, for whom Crouch barely touched the ball and Garcia was completely ineffective (again).

Overall, I think that today can be described as a day when Chelsea showed why they are great champions. They took everything Liverpool had to throw at them and dealt with it brilliantly.

Last edited:

Alan

I've heard of lucky results, and West Ham had one over the weekend! We were hounded by Sunderland all game, and they were the better team, taking the lead in the last minute of the first half. Thankfully Yossi Benayoun, our diamond isreali, showed another bit of skill to equalise in the second half and save a point for my Hammers!

The Jets, i knew we were going to struggle with Brooks starting, but we didnt do too bad. 13-3 doesnt look like a great score, but our top defence stopped them from getting a lot more. Brooks Bollinger threw 14-28 for 149 yards, which was better than expected really. But we will be in trouble against bigger teams.

Inno

I'm the good looking one up there
Subscriber
Still, Vinny is back in the saddle in the next few weeks.

On a side note, the Astros made it to the playoffs in the baseball last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.