Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

The Purge (TV Series)

Ratings
I'm truly curious to watch this. I like The Purge movies, but I don't understand how they want to make a TV series out of this. I enjoy the 1,5 hour version of the night of the purge, but I feel like the separate storylines may be too boring.
I'd say that the stories we have so far are quite good. We can guess some points correctly, but the rest is mysterious enough for me. I try not to think too much and enjoy the flow.

I'm back to discussing the latest episode, so beware of spoilers.

Up to episode 4, we've seen some helpful hands in the middle of the Purge chaos. We know most of their motives except the man. Do you have any theories? He will probably meet Miguel first, though I actually prefer that he meets the others as well. Jane obviously needs some help.

ShadowEdge

Ratings
I'll mention this in my review, but according to the "factoids" USA aired during the commercials, the show takes place between the first and second movies.
That is a key part of the information. I immediately begin flipping channels when there's a break so I'm glad you posted this. I need to stop flipping so much so I don't miss out. It sounds a bit like VH-1's old Pop-Up Video show.

Ratings
Yeah, unsurprisingly, they want eyeballs on their money-makers (the commercials), so it's a clever way to keep people tuned in. I know some fans got freebie Purge candles from one of the commercials.

Luna

Ratings
Yeah, unsurprisingly, they want eyeballs on their money-makers (the commercials), so it's a clever way to keep people tuned in. I know some fans got freebie Purge candles from one of the commercials.
They probably don't need to go that far since the movie franchise has a name and a cult following on their own, so that's an interesting trivia. Now I wonder if they are gearing up for a movie sequel with this kind of effort for a TV series. Is this a common strategy?

Ratings
I thought the nuns would turn out to be evil. I can't recall a mask wearer during the films who didn't out to be psychopathic. I understand branding the word "pig" onto an abusers forehead isn't exactly normal, but at least they have a logical reason for their aggression.

Sometimes Penelope seems barmy, sometimes she appears all there.

What happened to the guy with the pro-purge coach?

I thought for sure Jenna's unborn baby was going to be sliced from her womb or her husband would be killed so Lila could run off with Jenna. That scenario would give Daddy Stanton the grandchild he's always wanted. I'm clearly not good at the guessing game though.

Luna

Ratings
I thought for sure Jenna's unborn baby was going to be sliced from her womb or her husband would be killed so Lila could run off with Jenna. That scenario would give Daddy Stanton the grandchild he's always wanted. I'm clearly not good at the guessing game though.
Mr. Stanton looks like someone who prefers a pure-blooded grandchild. Lila can't give him that even if Rick is out of the picture. I think the baby only complicates the triangular relationship or be the catalyst of death among them. Everyone may end up dying judging from the history of this series.

Ratings
What happened to the guy with the pro-purge coach?
Joe? I think that's it--I feel like there are a lot of Joes on the shows I'm watching. If we're talking about Lee Tergesen's character, he appears to be using the pro-purge propaganda--say that 3 times fast--to psych himself up to save people. I think we'll get his flashback this week.

They probably don't need to go that far since the movie franchise has a name and a cult following on their own, so that's an interesting trivia. Now I wonder if they are gearing up for a movie sequel with this kind of effort for a TV series. Is this a common strategy?
Well, I meant USA, the network airing the show in the US. They've really gone all out for their promotion. There's the aforementioned factoids during the commercials and they were running faux Purge Shopping Channel ads before the show even started.

ShadowEdge

Ratings
I still don't know what to make of Jane. She was an idiot for confessing to her boss, especially since she had a good reason for wanting him gone. David had already shown her that he's a bad man who thinks of women as objects. I can't get into her head to understand her reasoning. Her mother's complicity with "the game" while Jane was growing up doesn't excuse her idiocy. Then again, she made Anya snap to, so there is that.

The whole thing with Ross was so creepy - “In this country, you can’t make your neighbor move, but you can Purge.”

Do you think Rick and Lila will end up killing Jenna? Rick would be killing his own unborn child, so I'm leaning towards no, but something is about to happen there.

ShadowEdge

Ratings
The title to episode nine is ominous - "I Will Participate". So, maybe Jenna ends up killing Rick and running off with Lila. Do we know if there's going to be a season two?

Ratings
Is it just me, or is there no way that all of this could occur within a 12 hour time period. Billy Baldwin is the perfect David. This programme has been cast well.

I think Rick will be purged, but the others will survive for another season. I'm hoping for another season at least.

Ratings
So many what if's in this show that we can't really predict where the show is going. There is one thing I know that I can predict and that is a few of the main characters will be dead at the end of the season.

Ratings
Somehow Rick ends up outside the house next week, which...dude. There's like, two more hours left on Purge night. Stay inside and watch The Haunting of Hill House or something.

Ratings
So many what if's in this show that we can't really predict where the show is going. There is one thing I know that I can predict and that is a few of the main characters will be dead at the end of the season.
Just not Miguel. Anyone but Miguel. I'm rooting so hard for that him and Penelope, even though she baffles me.

I know quizzes are a bit silly, but did anyone else try the quiz on the main page? I came up as a NFFA Socialite. It's a bit depressing.

Ratings
@Evelyn, I took the quiz and got the same result as you. Perhaps it's the desire to be behind a gate and mind my own business on that night that got me branded as a NFFA Socialite. That and thinking loyalty is a friends best quality. Surely listening to Korn and donating money to charity didn't trigger it. It's hard not to be offended, though I'm not sure I'd fit any of the other options either. Of course, it's just a silly quiz and doesn't mean much, yet I can't help but feel like I've been sorted into Slytherin house. Jeez.

I wish the series focused on some financial crimes like robbery, forgery, corporate espionage, cyber warfare - really, anything non-violent will do. We know from the The First Purge that most of the participants just partied, caused mayhem, and engaged in petty crimes. It was the government, backed by the wealthy who literally started the murders and torture and ensured the targets would be lower-income, minorities, women and other vulnerable people. However, NFFA clearly cares about money. They have the power here. I'd love to see some wheeling, dealing, and stealing taking place.

ShadowEdge

Ratings
I'm going to stop watching as it's giving me nightmares. It's just getting too sick and the breaking point was seeing those trussed up women in David's basement. Poor Jane. She got him in the end, but now she has to live with it and I don't see her character as a sociopath who won't feel guilt.

Ratings
Like all cult leaders, I knew Tavis was in it for the money or some other gain. I expected that. However, Joe fooled me. Joe kind of reminds me of Roseanne Barr. Joe seems okay on the surface, even likable, but the gritty underbelly peaks out here and there until you can no longer ignore it. Since much of the plot and characters are inspired by our contemporary news and politics, I wonder who Joe is supposed to represent. I thought of Ivanka Trump and Roseanne Barr. I should have seen that coming with Joe. Mask = up to no good.

The Purge is one of USA's highest viewed shows right now. There's got to be another season.

Last edited:
Ratings
@Poppy, I agree about wanting to see different crimes, but I think the affluent people in this franchise enjoy playing cat and mouse with their prey the most. It's all about manipulation and mind games for sport. Money is just the tool they use.

Miguel should just leave Penelope to her fate as a lesson in evolution.

Luna

Ratings
I don't mind that we don't see other types of crimes. This nod to reality wins over everything else for me. I just hope that the Election Day helps to drill the message to our minds. "This is what is happening, so let's do something about it." I enjoyed the final episode quite much. Neatly tied in most places, leaving enough hints for a continuation. What do you think we'll see in the new season?

Ratings
I mentioned this in my review of the final episode, but I'm expecting Bobby Sheridan, the Purge propaganda guy, to come up.