Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven

Ratings
Has anyone read The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven? It's the memoir of British actor David Niven, published in 1971, and describes his childhood, his time in the army, and then his subsequent relocation to Hollywood, where he became a successful actor for that period, playing the quintessential Englishman. He makes every part of his life interesting to read, including his time at public school, and the scrapes he got into in the military, where, often, his sense of humour got the better of him. He recounts a lot of Hollywood anecdotes.

I read it just recently, and it really says a lot about that era.

Ratings
No, I haven't read it, but I know of the actor that you are talking about. He also wrote Bring on the Empty Horses, about life in Hollywood, which recounts a lot of anecdotes about the life of the stars and the making of the films. Somebody lent me that, and I read a bit of it.

I may look out for The Moon's A Balloon in the charity shops or online. It may take me ages to get round to reading it though, as I have a stack of books that I am supposed to be reading.