• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

The highest grossing films

Ratings
A quick look at the list shows that movies like Titanic still appear somewhere at the top, 22 or so years later (this movie had a worldwide gross of $2,187,463,944). Few films have generated substantial revenue but fall short of what this movie was able to generate. Do we now have movies that aren't so appealing or the audience preference has changed over the years?

Ratings
Lots of people just download movies now and watch them at home. That option didn't exist in 1997 when Titanic came out. It was a pretty long process to obtain a bootleg copy of a movie. Also, the cost of going to a movie theater has risen astronomically and many people simply can't afford it.

Last edited:
Ratings
There weren't as many entertainment options then as we have today. I bet streaming has impacted those numbers thanks to Netflix and Hulu. However, the cinema no longer competes with movie rentals like Blockbuster, so maybe Netflix and Hulu haven't made that much difference.

Ratings
Home viewing has a big impact on the movie theater revenue. I agree with the others that streaming has made movie watching easier and comfortable. What I like in a watching a movie at home is that I can pause or rewind a scene if ever I missed something.

Ratings
I definitely hadn’t looked at it from that point of view and yes, viewers now have so many options and unlimited choices. Either way, could we still say that the audience stopped being captivated enough to go to the cinemas? Do we now have a lot of movies that seem to ‘copy’ from each other?

Ratings
Either way, could we still say that the audience stopped being captivated enough to go to the cinemas? Do we now have a lot of movies that seem to ‘copy’ from each other?
We could say that the audience is harder to please these days. Most of these moviegoers are also from the older generations because the newer generations wanted to control the story so they tend to play video games rather than watch movies.