• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

The End Of Rights

Ratings
When does the right of someone ends? I hear and see people stating that "it is their right" to do what they wanted to do even though that action or behavior is hurting other people.

Ratings
I believe rights are legally defined. Therefore, someone can legally practice their right no matter how it makes others feel. However, deciding whether or not to engage in a behaviour that is truly hurting other people is a question of the person's character.

Ratings
We have to respect each others' rights. There are people though that don't consider the rights of others and only think about themselves. As for me, I will respect the rights of others, even when I don't agree with them.

Zack T

Ratings
130 1
I think that's a good way to define it...my rights end as soon as they start infringing on yours in a measurable manner. To me, that means that I can talk trash all I want but the moment I start discriminating against you, we've crossed the rights-line.

Ratings
We have a topic of depression somewhere in this forum. I think that trash-talking can contribute to the depression of someone. I suppose that it is high time that we consider verbal abuse as a violent act.

Ratings
I suppose that it is high time that we consider verbal abuse as a violent act.
I disagree. Violence is something that is tangible. If I hit you or cut you there is no doubt it was a violent act because you physically feel it and it leaves visible bruises and scars. Verbal abuse is subjective because what hurts you will not hurt someone else.

People have different degrees of internal feelings, whereas everyone bruises and bleeds red.

Zack T

Ratings
130 1
That's true to an extent as far as regular insults go, but abusive behavior is fairly universal, even when talking about verbal abuse. No one is immune to verbal abuse just because they have thick skin.

Ratings
I would be adamantly against verbal abuse being classified as a "violent act." There are already measures in place for things are that considered verbal abuse (hate speech laws).

Ratings
Violence is and always will be defined as something that is physical. Verbal abuse does not fit that definition and the people who are trying to make it so have to have an agenda of some sort they are pushing.

In my opinion.

Ratings
No one is immune to verbal abuse just because they have thick skin.
That is a very good point. You can put on a brave outward face, but at the end of the day, words can hurt.

Yes, we have the freedom of speech to say what we want, but we are not free from the consequences of that speech. If you hurt someone with verbal abuse, you should be held accountable somehow.

Ratings
Great insight and you all highlight the important factors that mostly define our day-to-day lives. In my view, verbal abuse can either make someone numb over time or resentful. We all need to learn how to go about our day-to-day lives without infringing on the rights of other people.

Ratings
There are some cases of verbal abuse that led up to suicide, especially with teenagers. I do concur that we cannot quantify verbal abuse because we take words differently. I guess we can have the rule of karma; "What we have done or say will come back to us".