Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

The dreaded dentist visit

Boomer

It's been about eight years since my last check-up. I finally went in and got a clean bill of health. The high-pitched drill sounds and the feeling of metal tools in my mouth just gross me out. I'll be better about going regularly from now on, I swear. Imagining what could've happened does haunt me.

Greylien

Yeah, those sounds are what does it for me too. They should put some type of sound dampeners on those tools so they don't sound so foreboding.

coleman

There is nothing fancy about visiting a dentist, except that most people dread it probably because of previous experiences. It has been close to 5 years since my last check-up, but I'm thinking of booking an appointment soon.

headrush

I always fear that the dentist will find something that will cost thousands, though it never happens. It just takes one real account from a friend to stay freaked out.

Zack T

It's been 10 years since the last time I had dental work done. In August of 2009, I had 8 teeth removed (Top right Top left Bottom right Bottom left Molars + each wisdom tooth next to those molars). Before that, it'd been probably about 5+ years since I'd last been to the dentist. Not really sure why, I know we had health insurance when I was a kid. Dunno if we had dental...maybe we didn't?

Anyway, my teeth are screwed up. When my parents divorced/split in 97 and I went with my dad, I went through a period of time when I was 12 or so where I just simply didn't brush my teeth for awhile. I'm not sure how long I went, but long enough that my teeth turned a bit yellow and kids in class started noticing. I started brushing after that, but ever since then my teeth haven't returned to being white. Additionally, I started suffering from cracked/chipped teeth once I turned 19. Seems like about once a year, one of my teeth near the front of my mouth would randomly break a bit while eating.

I did visit the dentist last year, but I couldn't afford to have any work done at the time. Dental work is brutally expensive in the US, even with dental insurance. I dunno what the situation is for you folks over in the UK, but in America, Dental insurance works like this - They categorize everything dentists can do in 4 tiers, A B C and D. A is the minor preventative stuff and with most good quality insurance companies is completely free for us to enjoy. B is a little bit more, but still low cost, you pay maybe 20% of the cost of service and insurance covers the other 80%. But C is where the bulk of the work I need done is at - I need 4 root canals, I need deep gum cleaning, I need tooth repair, and whitening. Most insurances cover 40 to 60% of the cost at this level, mine is at about 60% because I researched my options before picking my plan. And finally D is major dental surgery type stuff and is 30 to 40% coverage at best.

When I visited the dentist last year, it was before I started my new job and I had my old dental insurance. Total cost of the work I needed done at that time was around 5000. Now I have my new job, they offer different choices of dental insurance and they appeared to be better. I believe now my total cost will be around 2000 to 2500ish, but I won't know for sure until I go in and talk to the dentist office to find out exactly what I need NOW (Because another tooth chipped in half recently).

Thankfully, I can get a health-savings account so I don't have to pay that much money upfront, they'll basically just give me a max ceiling (I believe I opted to fund my HSA with 2600) and then withdraw 100 from my paycheck for the whole year (Cause I get paid bi-weekly for a total of 26 pay days) and that's a lot easier to handle.

Dental sucks.

whaleshark

Dental issues totally suck. My crown broke recently, right when the dental floss touched it, so something was going awry for a while. I'm wearing a temporary until the replacement's ready to go next week.