Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

The Dark Side Of Wrestling

Greylien

If you could pinpoint one aspect of the wrestling industry as being "The Dark Side" of wrestling, what would it be?

Every industry has issues that could be addressed to make it better.

Ogmore

Overall, I think there's more good than bad. The fact that there are so many family dynasties in professional wrestling speaks to that. However, I think one of the rotten tools used to keep certain wrestlers in line is trademarking monikers and slogans specific to that wrestler. It's a favourite of Vince McMahon's, whether the wrestler already used that moniker before they were on the WWE roster or not or whether they created their own moniker or creative gave it to them. It's definitely a dark side to the industry.

ShadowEdge

One of the darker elements is that there's this pervasive idea that the whole thing is fake. As though the wrestlers are reciting from a strict script and wrestling a thoroughly choreographed match. And since it's all fake anyone can do it. However, the reality is that it takes a great deal of talent, fighting know-how, and athletic ability to do the job. It isn't choreographed perfectly from start to finish like a ballet. The bumps can be very rough and sometimes people do get hurt. You have to be brave to wrestle in this capacity. It's a shame that some people write the whole thing off.
Overall, I think there's more good than bad. The fact that there are so many family dynasties in professional wrestling speaks to that.
Other than the McMahon family?