Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Talk Wrestling Online & Wrestling 101 WWE Awards 2004: The Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris2K

=========================

Idiot of the Year

3rd: Brian Gerwitz (For coming up with the Baby Killer angle) (17%)
2nd: Bruce Pritchard (Calling cruiserweights pointless) (21%)
1st: Vince McMahon (For OKing all the crap we've seen) (23%)

Get off my TV Award

3rd: John Bradshaw Layfield (21%)
2nd: Heidenreich (23%)
1st: Gene Snitsky (25%)

Worst PPV of 2004

3rd: No Way Out (13%)
2nd: Judgment Day (15%)
1st: Great American Bash (54%)

Worst Match of 2004

3rd: Carmella vs. Christy - Taboo Tuesday (16%)
2nd: Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar - WrestleMania XX (20%)
1st: Tyson Tomko vs. Stevie Richards - Unforgiven (30%)

Hero of 2004

3rd: Gene Snitsky - Making the Baby Killer angle amusing (8%)
2nd: Christian - Becoming a good heel (9%)
1st: Chris Benoit - Proving to be a great World Champion (65%)

Best PPV of 2004

3rd: Royal Rumble (8%)
2nd: Taboo Tuesday (17%)
1st: WrestleMania XX (62%)

Best Announcer of 2004

3rd: Jerry Lawler (16%)
2nd: Tazz (30%)
1st: Jim Ross (37%)

Best Diva of 2004

3rd: Stacy Keibler (15%)
2nd: Trish Stratus (20%)
1st: Lita (29%)

Best Cruiserweight of 2004

3rd: Chavo Guerrero Jr. (7%)
2nd: Paul London (19%)
1st: Rey Mysterio Jr. (57%)

Best Heel of 2004

3rd: Gene Snitsky (11%)
2nd: John Bradshaw Layfield (25.1%)
1st: HHH (25.8%)

Best Face of 2004

3rd: Eugene (14%)
2nd: Eddie Guerrero (16%)
1st: John Cena (17%)

Best Tag Team of 2004

3rd: Rico and Charlie Haas (14%)
2nd: La Resistance (18%)
1st: Eugene and William Regal (32%)

Worst Wrestler of 2004

3rd: Heidenreich (17%)
2nd: John Bradshaw Layfield (18%)
1st: Mordecai (19%)

Best Match of 2004

3rd: Royal Rumble Match (9%)
2nd: Mick Foley vs. Randy Orton - Backlash (14%)
1st: Chris Benoit vs. HHH vs. HBK - WrestleMania XX (39%)

BEST WRESTLER OF 2004

3rd: Eddie Guerrero (9%)

2nd: Randy Orton (22%)
1ST: CHRIS BENOIT (35%)

Thanks to everyone who voted, we had a total of 149 in the end, easily surpassing the totals from previous years. Thanks to Kam for allowing me to run it, and thanks to everyone who reads this too. Happy new year!

DC

Glad to see Tazz doing well in the voting. :)

I can't believe Snitsky won the Get Off My Screen award, he's been great. :(

And John Cena as best face, c'mon. But I suppose it was a democratic poll and the people spoke. The same people who voted Vicar of Dibley third best British Comedy no doubt(!)

The Beltster

The Mordecai can be classed as a worse wrestler than Tyson Tomko, Heidenreich, The Bashams, Luthor Reigns etc is beyond me. Also, how JBL can come second in worst wrestler is also crazy, he isnt THAT bad.

I disagree with pretty much every result, but hey, I disagree with everything, right? lol

PS: JR is a terrible commentator, just awful.

DraVen

I disagree with almost every award Chris Benoit won, but the majority have spoken, and the awards do not lie :)

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
Draven Cage said:
I can't believe Snitsky won the Get Off My Screen award, he's been great. :(
I cant believe it either!

Thanks Chris for running them again this year :thumbup2:

Evil Gringo

Not really Evil, but I like Burritos
Ross does suck as half the time he can't call the moves... But he isn't as bad as Cole and as bad as what Lawler has become... Bring back Heyman!

Cena is getting the marks vote I see....

Benoit fully deserves all of his awards (Nice premptive sarcasam Dra) and the triple threat at Mania was easily the WWE's match of the year. Only things close where Orton/Foley and the re-match of Mania at Backlash...

Mordecai sucks... But so many have sucked it does seem harsh as he only sucked on two ppv's where as Luther Reigns has sucked more. But I like the Girl Next Door and Reigns is funny as hell in it and the special features so I'll let him off... (I'm gonna get stick for that)

As for heel? Well JBL and HHH where neck and neck but JBL entertained me far more in his heel role so I think he should have won. But hey by and large I like the results, its what I would have said mostly.

The Crippler

I'm pleased Benoit won what he won. Totally deserved. :thumbup2: He was the man in WWE for 2004.

Also for people who always bang on about how loads of folk at TWO are anti-Triple H, I don't see him in the idiot of the year and I noticed that he won best heel. :)

Disappointing Snitsky got the get off my tv award. I'm warming to him now (I know I wasn't like Russ or Mitchell or whoever else said they liked him, I didn't know what to make of him at first), but he certainly shouldn't have won get off my tv award. His segments and everything about him is so crap that he is quite fun to watch.

Last edited:

Alan

Well done Chris for running it all :thumbup2:

And how could Snitsky win the "get off my tv" award? He is the best thing to happen to raw in a long time! And i would like to voice my disssapointment at JR being classsed as the best announcer, that man is beyond belief at how poor his announcing has become.

DraVen

Evil Gringo said:
Benoit fully deserves all of his awards (Nice premptive sarcasam Dra)
I wasn't being sarcastic. I hate Benoit. He bores the living crap out of me and I'd rather watch a Heidenreich match than sit through anything that hasn't been Benoit/HHH/HBK this year, but I was making the point that no matter how often we disagree, the majority has spoken.

Evil Gringo

Well knock me down with a feather....

But really... Heidenreich?

Ouch...

Gooneronastick

DraVen said:
I hate Benoit. He bores the living crap out of me
I can understand why. Benoit needs a personality transplant. His wrestling is ok tho.

Draven said:
and I'd rather watch a Heidenreich match than sit through anything that hasn't been Benoit/HHH/HBK this year, but I was making the point that no matter how often we disagree, the majority has spoken.
Heidenreich? Really? Benoit ain't THAT bad, man. Jeez. :eek

MARTIN316V1

I agree with most of the awards, apart from the ones Benoit won, it's funny when people like John Cena or Lita win an award its a case of ''the marks have spoken'', but when Benoit wins something it's because he's proven to be great, he's the best etc! :rolleyes2:

Chris2K

No, Benoit won because the marks have spoken. However much you dislike him, the guy is OVER. He gets big pops, he sells merchandise, and he's gone from being a smark favourite to a mark and smark favourite, hence his CONVINCING victories in these awards.

Fletch

Despite the awards not having any TNA in thus making them WWE awards rather than wrestling awards, Im very happy that HHH won Heel of the Year.

DraVen

Chris2K said:
he sells merchandise
No he doesn't :p

Case in point: WWE Shopzone -

1. John Cena Spinner Pendant
2. John Cena Word Life Lock Pendant
3. ECW T-shirt and DVD Package
4. Rey Mysterio Long Sleeved Tattoo T-shirt
5. Triple H Book and Towel Package
6. Batista Logo T-shirt
7. Christian Captain Charisma T-shirt
8. John Cena Ruck Fules T-shirt
9. Triple H Cross/Skull T-shirt
10. ThemeAddict: WWE The Music V6

That's right - BATISTA is a bigger merchandise seller :p

Not trying to take away from Benoit's achievement, but your point was pretty flawed :)

Last edited:

MARTIN316V1

Chris2K said:
No, Benoit won because the marks have spoken. However much you dislike him, the guy is OVER. He gets big pops, he sells merchandise, and he's gone from being a smark favourite to a mark and smark favourite, hence his CONVINCING victories in these awards.
I don't dislike Benoit, i just dislike the way people overrated him, ie if he has a 3* match at best people will jump at it at say it was a 5* classic bout, also Benoit wasnt really over that much, only at WM XX and Backlash he was super over. Your right he sells merchandise because i bought a Benoit Hodded top the other day :p

But i still think he shouldnt have won most of the awards, ah well.

EDIT: Draven, he's sold at least one :p

Chris2K

Found this on Slam Sports:

Business may be slow for World Wrestling Entertainment but the McMahons still know how to make a buck. Despite a massive decline in TV ratings and attendance figures, WWE posted an impressive US $7.8 million profit for its first quarter of fiscal 2005.

The Stamford, Conn.-based company blew analyst predictions out of the water, thanks to continued cost-cutting measures at Titan Tower and solid results from licensing and merchandising. In particular, the Ric Flair and Chris Benoit DVD sets sold like hotcakes, boosting merchandise revenue alone to $16.3 million US for the quarter.

The Benoit DVD set, which is a must-see for all mat fans, shipped 65,000 units during the May to July time frame
, while the Flair collection is already the highest selling wrestling DVD of all time.

WWE expects similarly strong results from upcoming releases, including the awesome Eddie Guerrero documentary, 'Cheating Death, Stealing Life' (which hits shelves on Sept. 28th) and the 'Rise and Fall of ECW' collection.
He must be doing something right :).

Evil Gringo

See without Benoit... no profits....

If you look at DVD sales I bet that the Flair and Benoit DVD's will outsell all the rest of the merchadise avilable on Shopzone...

Status
Not open for further replies.