• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Survival Games

Ratings
Has anyone else noticed that every game that comes out calls itself some form of a survival game? I really liked the idea of a competitive survival game that Rend supplied but the game itself was very lack luster. Am I missing the good survival games? Every new game I see looks almost identical and if Rend couldn't pull off some innovation in the genre I'm skeptical of any future games.

Ratings
So irritating! I remember playing Rust in a browser way back when. Now there was a survival game. Instead of cold and hunger you had to survive against the endless supply of internet trolls that would gear themselves up to max everything and then walk around sniping new players running around naked with a rock as their only weapon. It would take at least a few days if not weeks of grinding to get to the max level so it was a completely unfair experience. I loved every minute of it! And when I got to max level it was fun to be the internet troll and kill newbs that had zero chance of surviving an encounter. Ahh the joys of internet violence.

Ratings
Which console or gaming platform do you primarily use? I can't say I've played Rend, but from googling it, the game doesn't seem that different from Fortnite except you're only pitted against other players rather than other players and demons. Wait, do you mean "survival" as in last man standing or "survival" as in you must gather certain food items, make a shelter, and so on?

Ratings
I know what you mean. When I look through my Steam discovery queue every other game is a "survival" game. @Ogmore "survival", at least in my case, means the whole building a shelter, gaining skills, crafting junk, etc. I can't be bothered with them anymore.

Ratings
I know what you mean. When I look through my Steam discovery queue every other game is a "survival" game. @Ogmore "survival", at least in my case, means the whole building a shelter, gaining skills, crafting junk, etc. I can't be bothered with them anymore.
I completely agree. The troubling thing is that the genre WAS really exciting at first. Skill based systems were often hand in hand so you felt like by chopping down trees you were realistically getting better at chopping down trees and not just gaining an extra level with arbitrary stat bonuses.

Surviving harsh winters with little to no way of gathering food, or surviving a bear attack early in the game was always a ton of fun. What happened though is that the industry was completely flooded with essentially the exact same game with different names. If it would at least have innovated a few changes with each release I don't think we'd feel quite as sore about the whole thing.

Please, someone, somewhere, breath some life into this dying genre with SOMETHING DIFFERENT! Even if it doesn't work flawlessly I'll bet that fans would be so thankful for something new to do in a familiar genre that they'll still enjoy it.