Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Surprised by celeb's Wikipedia entry?

Ogmore

Have you ever been surprised by a celebrities Wikipedia entry? I mean, I'm sure the celeb isn't writing it, it's probably their PR machine. Sometimes it's like they try to fluff it up, like we do with our resumes. The job section in particular tends to be baffling. For instance, Duff McKagan, the bassist for Guns N' Roses* lists the normal things you'd expect to see like songwriter, musician, record producer, and then you get to - investment advisor.

Sure, Duff.

*Am I the only one who always thought it was stylized as Guns 'N Roses?

Snarky-Guru

I read somewhere that Bruce Willis' entry used to say that Tokyo's National Public Safety Commission named him the honorary chief of the cyberterrorism task force (Maybe they thought Die Hard was a documentary). I never saw it though and I don't believe it's listed now.

Spade

I don’t trust Wikipedia that much anyway. It’s full of edits from different people, with too many different opinions and biases. I mean, it’s a good entry point to get to know something but it’s never the ending point if you want to look for detailed information.

Poppy

Sting has had a long career, but I was quite surprised to see ska, post-punk, and reggae listed as some of his genres. Also surprising was the association with Shaggy. None of it's just fluff though. Their collaboration won a Grammy.

@Spade I used to think Wikipedia was rubbish, and maybe it really is, but it's good for finding good sources in the footnotes. I use it all the time for that, especially when I don't know much about the industry or subject.

RandyW

Wikipedia is somewhere that I never go. I just don't trust the website. It's rubbish at times. I haven't noticed that these celebs are changing or adding to their pages.

coleman

I don’t trust Wikipedia that much anyway. It’s full of edits from different people, with too many different opinions and biases. I mean, it’s a good entry point to get to know something but it’s never the ending point if you want to look for detailed information.
I was going to say the same thing, and I think that the ability for anyone to edit any information gives room for possible errors, misinformation, or vandalism. For this reason, Wikipedia isn't a reliable source.