Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Sports and politics

Rambler

The Houston Rockets' manager, Daryl Morey, tweeted support for the Hong Kong protesters. This caused an uproar among basketball fans in China. Then came Morey's and the NBA's tweeted apologies — and Rocket James Harden's televised We're Sorry.

I get that professional sports is a business, and you should be diplomatic with your colleagues and clients and all. Still, kind of annoying seeing the backtracking.

Zack T

I agree that it's annoying, but when you're in a prominent position, you have to be aware that your views will be commented on by the general public. Everyone's entitled to have their own viewpoints and opinions, but sometimes it's best to exercise some discretion on what you make public. I'm a federal government employee in the USA, and while I'm wholly allowed to use my personal social media accounts to say whatever I want, if I post something problematic or divisive, I too could face backlash. Just about anyone can, but not all of us are under the microscope like celebrities are.

whaleshark

Morey forgot that a) he's a public figure and b) Twitter has been banned in China, but is still accessible depending on who you are. I wonder if he'll get fired or pressured to resign.

Zack T

Probably not to resign, but they'll probably tell him to keep that stuff to himself from now on. After all, he's just a businessman. Some will agree with his tweet, some won't, but this isn't something someone should resign over. It's not like he tweeted something offensive or prejudice.

I think people are too rigid in their thinking so that every single choice is always black or white. People forget that there's a whole lot of grey areas out there and some things really do come down to personal opinions on what that person deems most important at the time. Everyone should be able to state their opinion. It's a great way to learn. It's cool to debate the person, but the retaliation is weird, especially when that person's opinion has no effect on any outcome. In being so rigid, people forgot when it really is important to draw the line in the sand.

jack25

In a subsequent tweet, Morey said that he 'had had a lot of opportunity since that tweet to hear and consider other perspectives'. He is entitled to his opinion, but he should have known that basketball is an international sport.

Rambler

Crazy mess. Once Adam Silver said he backed Morey's right to express himself, he should have just had the crews over there pack up and leave ASAP. Would the NBA go broke because of this?

whaleshark

Not sure about going broke, but the organization has a contract with Nike among others, and there are players with their own athletic gear contracts.