Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Spike TV cancels TNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

King

Forum Leader
I think TMZ just broke this, really bad times for TNA now, how long more will they last?

The Fury

The Last King of Scotland
Subscriber
Word going round is it's because they hired Russo. Spike did not want tna to have anything to do with him after last time but they re hired him and that seemingly was the final nail in the coffin

Their own fault they needed the money bad. If they can't get a deal quick they're as good as dead

King

Forum Leader
I think the deal runs out in October.

Archmage

http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/27/impact-wrestling-cancelled-spike-tv-tna/

TNA Wrestling's flagship show "Impact Wrestling" could soon be without a home -- Spike TV quietly let the league know it's not renewing their TV contract … TMZ has learned.

Multiple sources with direct knowledge of the deal ... tell us Spike execs contacted TNA President Dixie Carter late last week to break the news -- and the following day Carter informed members of her inner circle.

TNA's current deal with Spike reportedly runs through October. It's unclear at this point when "Impact Wrestling" will stop airing on Spike.

We're told there's no bad blood, and Spike gave TNA such advance notice so it would have time to shop for a new TV deal.

TNA's show debuted on Spike TV in October 2005 -- and helped the league rise to #2 on the wrestling scene … behind the WWE.

We've called TNA and Spike for comment ... so far, no word back.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/27/impact-wrestling-cancelled-spike-tv-tna/#ixzz38kDjUsZB

Archmage

More updates - this one is from BR though, so take it with a large crate of salt.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2143311-tnas-impact-wrestling-will-reportedly-not-be-renewed-by-spike-tv

The future of TNA's Impact Wrestling is suddenly very murky. According to TMZ, Spike TV will not be renewing the popular wrestling show's contract in October.

We are still just in the rumor stages of this development, but WrestleZone.com's Mike Killam also cited sources relaying the same information. Per Killam, Impact Wrestling will be canceled if it doesn't get picked up by a new network "in a very short amount of time."

This is potentially devastating news for TNA president Dixie Carter.

Omega

Global Modd
Subscriber
I don't know enough about US tv networks to know if there even is a possible deal out there for TNA. I also don't believe that the decision was based on re-hiring Russo, I don't think TV execs think in those terms. Still, as sucky as the show is there needs to be some alternatives to the WWE other than local wrestling companies so I don't hope for TNA failing to find another deal but I do fear for them not finding one.

Matt Black

Bad, bad news for wrestling in the US and by association the rest of the world if this is the end of there being a minimum of two North American promotions on weekly national television. For those not sufficiently interested in the alternative products out there or casual in their interest, this effectively means that WWE becomes the definition of what pro-wrestling is. And while some might see no issue with that, I personally miss the days when there was a viable alternative to the WWE out there, both as a respite from one formula of wrestling and for the ways in which it required the WWE to become more creative and less lackadaisical in its approach to the product.

The Beltster

Isnt WWE already the definition of what pro wrestling is? I'd say yes and it has been since WCW turned to shite and disappeared. For better or worse, WWE is pro wrestling. They regularly outdraw NJPW in Japan and all the Mexican promotions when they go to Mexico, they are bigger worldwide than anybody. WWE is wrestling, everything else is a runner up and its sad because over the past few years, or near decade, WWE has been the shits.

ScottyB

Not surprised in the slightest. Haven't really been keeping up with the ol' wrestling, but from the snippets of news I've read it seems they've already lasted longer than they should.

It is a shame because it's not the best for the industry, monopolies are bad for the consumer.

Inno

I'm the good looking one up there
Subscriber
If I win the lottery, I'll buy TNA. Dunno what I'll do if I get more than 3 numbers though

Ryan

Do you think it will ever get to a point where Vince McMahon would buy it? And if so what would he do with it?

Jayfunk

Ryan:1290538 said:
Do you think it will ever get to a point where Vince McMahon would buy it? And if so what would he do with it?
tape library only for the network

Jack

Like most people, I've been disappointed with TNA for quite a while and I can't say I'll be too disappointed if they do go out of business, just because the people in charge clearly don't have a clue about how to take the company forward and whilst it'd be a shame to lose another company, I'd hope that another (GFW, ROH, DG-USA etc. get given a chance). With TNA the talent is there, the production is fine but when the storylines aren't utterly stupid, they're dull and I don't enjoy the product at all. I feel for the talent that the company has because they're being guided by people who don't know what they're doing and it's a shame because the company could be so much better than it is.

The thing which worries me about this news though is the future of wrestling as a whole. I remember people used to say that the business was cyclical and you'd always have a boom and bust period similar to what you see in other industries, but it's been such a long time since the last boom period, I'm not really sure how true that is. The only real precedent for that 'boom and bust' idea would be the peaks for the Hogan and Attitude Eras and the troughs either side of it. There's not exactly a long line of ups and downs in the industry and the interest in wrestling seems to be in a steady but constant decline, without any real sign of an upturn. In Britain, wrestling attracts tiny audiences and whilst the WWE is popular, there is little interest in British wrestling itself. Audiences in Japan are well down from what they were a decade ago and in America, TV and PPV numbers are significantly down with the only real profitable company left being the WWE. As Beltmark said, WWE is wrestling, and that's an indication of how strong the industry as a whole is.

I'm not sure how many people really care about wrestling itself and even if the current product did improve, would people flock to arenas and start watching on TV again? I don't know. Maybe it's just because the current options are so poor but wrestling feels passé to me and I don't have a lot of faith that even if the product improved, the decline would be reversed and people would start watching again. Maybe this decline has something to do with the end of kayfabe? I don't know what it is, but I don't have high expectations for the future of wrestling and that's sad to think about because it's an industry that has given me lots of enjoyment over the years.

Omega

Global Modd
Subscriber
I am orphaned post
A Mod left me here and so
here is a haiku

Last edited:

Ciaran The King

Legend in the making
Subscriber
Saw this coming months ago, sad for TNA but they really have no one else to blame but themselves

Jayfunk

A Spike TV representative issued a statement to PWTorch.com on Monday indicating that there are "ongoing negotiations" between the company and TNA. Earlier today, Dixie Carter tweeted that something similar

TNA president Dixie Carter stated via Twitter that negotiations between her company and Spike TV regarding a new television deal are ongoing. "Negotiations with @SpikeTV are ongoing,"
Source: http://www.prowrestling.net/

it was reported yesterday it might not be over

Status
Not open for further replies.