Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Someone ran the marathon in under two hours!

didge

You probably have heard of Eliud Kipchoge, a Kenyan athlete who is the current marathon record holder. Yesterday, he raced in the INEOS 1:59 challenge, becoming the first man to ever run a marathon in under 2 hours. His message to the world is that 'No human is limited'.

Snarky-Guru

I hate to be the dreary one but it's not as impressive when he had every advantage. He was assisted by at least 43 other world-class runners who kept him on pace during this event. It also wasn't a real marathon, which is trickier as people get in the way. He got to pick the day and time to run so he could have perfect conditions. No road construction, no rain, no freezing cold, nothing to stand in his way. They're calling it an exhibition marathon. His time was fantastic and more than most of us could hope to do, but it's hardly like reaching the moon, as he has equated it.

Ogmore

Is that really fair, @Snarky-Guru? I suppose you could say he's a bit of a braggart, but the bloke clearly has the talent as he's set the world record for quickest marathon time before in a sanctioned marathon if that's what you're needing. Out of all the marathons he's entered, he's only lost once and even then he came in second. He's also medaled during the Olympics a fair few times.

lymmo

I hate to be the dreary one but it's not as impressive when he had every advantage. He was assisted by at least 43 other world-class runners who kept him on pace during this event. It also wasn't a real marathon, which is trickier as people get in the way. He got to pick the day and time to run so he could have perfect conditions. No road construction, no rain, no freezing cold, nothing to stand in his way. They're calling it an exhibition marathon. His time was fantastic and more than most of us could hope to do, but it's hardly like reaching the moon, as he has equated it.
I agree with you, and that is why his time of 1:59:40:2 was an unofficial record, even though it was just two minutes shy of his marathon record. Still, I admired the kind of inspiration that resonated with many people across the globe.

coleman

Is that really fair, @Snarky-Guru? I suppose you could say he's a bit of a braggart, but the bloke clearly has the talent as he's set the world record for quickest marathon time before in a sanctioned marathon if that's what you're needing. Out of all the marathons he's entered, he's only lost once and even then he came in second. He's also medaled during the Olympics a fair few times.
I doubt if he's a braggart at all. Despite all the achievements and accolades, he seems like a person who rarely talks about himself. Either way, he deserves a pat on the back for all he's been able to achieve.