Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Solo artists and bands

lymmo

There was a time when bands were the order of the day, irrespective of the music genre. Are we looking at a period where solo acts and more profitable and appealing than bands? No popular band comes to mind now, whereas that wasn't the case a few decades back.

I think the popularity of pop and rap music has a lot to do with that. The artists in those two categories that typically find the most success are solo artists. Well, they might start as a group, but eventually one or two band members step out for a solo career because it has more longevity.

Poppy

Well Queen has had a bit of a comeback since their biopic was a smash. Does the K-pop group BTS fall under the band category? They're pretty popular right now. I know what you mean though, it seems like solo artists are far more common today than they used to be.

Rambler

I see the appeal of being a solo artist over being in a band. You can work at your own speed and not deal with bandmate conflicts. And no popularity fallout from a bandmate leaving.

lymmo

Ooh yes @Gareth The Great , the popularity of pop and rap music may have played a part. Most of the successful solo artists we see today were part of a band/group at some point in their career.