Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

So Where are You From?

Shane O Mac

Was born in Ashford, Middlesex, lived there till I was 13 and moved down to the Isle of Wight and been here since.

Popsi

I was born in Cambridge, England and lived there for about 2 years. I then spent the next 7 years bouncing between England and Germany living in various different army camps. The list included: Tidworth, Wolfenbuttel, Hamm, Sennelager and Braunsweig. Stints ranged between 6 months and 18 months at a time.

Then when I was 9 my dad left the Army and we moved to Chepstow, South Wales which is about half an hour away from where my parents are from (Pontypool.) I went to uni at 18 in Swansea and then lived in a couple of different places around South East Wales.

Now I'm back home in Chepstow living with my parents and paying off my debt! Am currently job hunting so could end up anywhere but Weston Supermare is a contender. Would love to live abroad, Canada or the US but that's just a pipe dream!

charlie

I was born in Bridgend and grew up in Pencoed, two fine towns in South Wales. At the age of 18 I moved to Birmingham to go to university, and here I remain. Next year I'm going to university in Nottingham to study for my Masters in History, so another move might be on the cards.

Nimf

Subscriber
Were you born at H.M Stanley in St. Asaph? That's where I was born, then lived in 3 different houses in Henllan, just outside of Denbigh before I was 3, which is where I lived until I was 17.

I then moved in with my missus' family in Nottingham for nearly 3 years before moving BACK to Wales with her, to Llandyrnog, also just outside of Denbigh, which is where I now live with my missus and little man.

So after all that, I'm more or less back where I bloody started!
Yup,HM Stanley, when it still had a maternity ward! I like Henllan, had a former friend that lived there.

Twig

Chicago. Born in Rogers Park (which is still in Chicago) then my family moved to Northbrook, a suburb. And when I moved out of their house I moved back into the city. Lived in a few neighborhoods North of the West Side. Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, Humboldt Park. I've seen both Atlantic and Pacific coasts, as well as the Gulf of Mexico before we decided to fill it with oil, and lived on the Mississippi River at the Illinois/Iowa border for a minute.

Boyo

Do you people realize just how difficult is it to emigrate to the states? It's not like you can just think "I'll go and live there!" and thats it. The US are a hard country to get in to. You have to have a job that they really require people in that field to do or be extremely rich to the point of being able to sustain yourself as you cant be drawing welfare over there. Or you have to marry some chick who has your kids over there etc.

Good luck with that.
Oh I know how difficult it is to emmigrate there, I've been researching (and tentatively trying) for about 5 years. Never ACTUALLY done a full application though, because if I wasn't successful then the next time I wanted to visit the US, you'd have to state that you had been denied access on your visa waiver.

Can't speak for Fletch's plans (which, believe me dude - Fletch - just knowing someone AND even being a CSI person... AIN'T gonna get you living in the US legally) but I have a couple of advantages. Firstly I have lived there before on a J-1 Student visa. My passport has a big fat (expired) US visa, followed by numerous visit stamps. I have spoken to the US Emabassy about my previous visa and they say that it can and does help, albeit microscopically :lol:.

No, the biggest advantage I have is that one of my bestest-estest friends in a born and bred American who has got a job with the Financial people, Edward Jones. She will be one of the salespeople. EJ have given her a job, her own patch (Lowry, in Denver), and a 12-24 months target. Hit that target within 24 months and then they'll give her her own office. With that office comes her own staff of one (a "patsy" for want of a better word), and since she will be the boss of that Lowry franchise she can employ whoever the hell she wants.

She has already asked the EJ HR people if that means she can employ somebody from the UK, and, according to her anyway, the HR people have said "no problem, we can employ whoever the hell we want, from wherever we want".

I've learned, through research and speaking to the US Embassy in London (and the UK Embassy in LA just last month) that there are 5 basic "employment route rule of thumbs":

1. You are a world famous/respected doctor, scientist, teacher, engineer, recording artist, flmstar, sports star. If you're David Beckham, Ozzy Osbourne, an astronaught, Stephen Hawking, etc... no problem. Welcome to America!

2. Self-Employment route: if you think you are talented enough and have enough capital to start your own business and also employ people... then there is a chance. You often hear of stylists, hairdressers, interior designers, chefs... stuff like that, moving to the US. It's very difficult, but if you can get hold of (generally) 30-50 references from your peers and customers (famous, respected professionals ideally) then it proves that you'll be an asset i the US. Basically if you are a chef in a pub in Wantage and you fancy upping sticks to New York, if you can get Jamie Oliver, Heston Blumenthal, Gordon Ramsey, Anthony Worral-Fatbloke, and perhaps a smattering of food critics to put in writing how nice your Veal Tagliatelle is... then brother, you might have a chance. Probably not, but maybe :thumbup2:.

3. Having a company offer you a job: is by far, by FAAAR, the easiest way to get to the US. Getting that job offer is really f*cking difficult, though, because no one will look at you if you don't have a work permit. And... you're not going to get a work-permit if you don't have a job offer. There are two ways, and only two ways to get around this:

a) Work at a company which has an office in the UK and one in the US. Work so damned hard in the UK that the office in the US wants to bring you over. Generally, as long as you are a "trained professional", US Customs won't really challenge a multinational company's employment. This doesn't mean you could get a job at McDonalds as a burger-flipper and get brought to the US. Perhaps if you were a restaurant manager of a tremendously successful Mucky-D's in rural UK, then you'd probably be ok.

b) Be like Boyo and have a friend allowed to employ their own staff, who work for a huge Financial institution. I do know for a fact that Edward Jones do and have recruited people from overseas. The thing to note is that if you go this route you're not applying for a green card; you're merely applying for a work permit. US Customs aren't going to question Edward Jones deciding to offer someone a work permit. After 4 renewals though... that work permit turns in to a green card :D.

My situation is the above; I'm not applying for a green card at all. Edward Jones will simply sort out a work permit for me :). That's how many big and medium sized companies get around tricky and expensive immigration issues - they merely ask for a work permit.

4. Marry a chick: I also have this option open to me :lol:. It's not "Edward Jones Girl" but somone else, and they will marry me if all else fails. But even with marriage you could still have problems. Get her pregnant though, and generally they grudgingly accept your need to be in the USA. I, however, have far too much respect and self-respect to do anything like that. For now...

5. Go there on a Visa Waiver, and live under the radar. Arrive in San Diego, get a cash-in-hand job, rent an apartment, keep all your cash in a jar, and go to Mexico every 89th day. It's possible to do that, and you won't be doing anything illegal in terms of being in the country, but that "tax evasion thing"? Yeah, I'd rather not do this option.

That's as much as I know about US Immigration though. My main point was that if you are canny and try to get a work permit and NOT a green card, then things get marginally easier. You get a big(gish) company OFFERING you a work permit? Then I'd be surprised if you encountered too many problems. :)

Cheers!

Dutt

Yup,HM Stanley, when it still had a maternity ward! I like Henllan, had a former friend that lived there.
Sweet, I think it's more or less just an eye hospital now or something. My bro still lives with my dad in Henllan, on Ochr-Y-Bryn, and my mum literaly lives just down the road from me in Llandyrnog. Not exactly an ideal setup if you know my situation with my mum, so we're looking to move to either Denbigh or Rhyl asap!

I even had the mother-in-law from Nottingham living with us for a while with the intent of her getting a job locally and moving up here for good, but within a couple of weeks we couldn't take her bullsh*t attitude anymore and more or less told her to f*ck off back to Nottingham!

Families eh...

BRM

Forum Leader
Would Arnold Schwarzenegger offering me a job help me emmigrate to America? He's always trying to get me over.

Nimf

Subscriber
Sweet, I think it's more or less just an eye hospital now or something. My bro still lives with my dad in Henllan, on Ochr-Y-Bryn, and my mum literaly lives just down the road from me in Llandyrnog. Not exactly an ideal setup if you know my situation with my mum, so we're looking to move to either Denbigh or Rhyl asap!

I even had the mother-in-law from Nottingham living with us for a while with the intent of her getting a job locally and moving up here for good, but within a couple of weeks we couldn't take her bullsh*t attitude anymore and more or less told her to f*ck off back to Nottingham!

Families eh...
Go for Denbigh, stay WELL away from Rhyl. Lived there for a few years and it's a horrendous place to live. Nice enough to visit...

Dutt

Go for Denbigh, stay WELL away from Rhyl. Lived there for a few years and it's a horrendous place to live. Nice enough to visit...
Point taken, it's more the missus that wants to live there though, although she's fine with Denbigh too. I think it's just the transport links we need atm.

Living here it would be 2 buses into Rhyl with conflicting timetables, and then another bus or train if we wanted to travel somewhere specific. It's a bloody nightmare tbh, just puts you off bothering really.

Well it's either that or get a car... :? No rush though eh.

FreeSpirit

Born in West London, where I lived for 27 years. Moved up to Newcastle for just over 5 years, then Great Yarmouth for a year, and now live in Swanscombe in Kent (walking distance to Bluewater Shopping Centre and Ebbsfleet International Station) since March.

Happy and settled there at the moment :thumbup2:

Sydney Aradi

Born in Israel to Irish/Arabian American parents but moved to Austin, Texas when I was two years old and when I was 15, me & my family moved to Buffalo, NY and I have lived there ever since.

JobberJoe

Subscriber
I was born in Dundee which, for anybody who knows anything about Scotland, is something to be ashamed about.
I jest, but only a little bit cause it isn't a great place.
Highest rate of teenage pregancy in Scotland don't ya' know?!

The family moved when I was 18 months old to Glasgow where I still reside.

I think my family history is pretty boring in so far as we go back either English or Scottish for as many generations as really matter before it starts looking like I'm grasping straws to make myself sound interesting.