Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

So, that happened...

Ratings
So... the other day I was relaxing and enjoying life, sitting in my living room watching some random TV show, while eating something delicious. Chewed down on the food the wrong way... and cracked one of my teeth. Now I have to get some dental work done and have a fake tooth put in.

Has this ever happened to you? Do any of you out there have a fake tooth, or fake teeth for that matter? If you have ever broken a tooth, what happened? Did you get a fake tooth? How much did it cost? Any problems with the fake tooth?

ShadowEdge

Ratings
I hope you aren't in any pain! A toothache is the worst! All of my molars are fakes. I started getting fakes in my twenties. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have every tooth pulled and get dentures instead of implants.

Zack T

Ratings
80 1
I should post a picture of my mouth. It's a mess.

Yes, I've cracked my teeth 2 or 3 times while eating or biting things. I didn't take good care of my teeth when I was much younger and it's been haunting me ever since. Last visit to the dentist back around late March showed I need 4 root canals, I've grinded down 50% of the height of my back teeth so I need a few crowns, as well as need a good solid gum cleaning and teeth cleaning to get rid of excess plaque.

Additionally back in 2008, I suffered insane tooth pain because of infection - it turned out I had my 4 back molars (top right and left and bottom left/right) all rotting out, which resulted in me getting those 4 teeth + accompanying 4 wisdom teeth pulled (Those weren't a problem but their roots were intertwined so they had to go too).

The cost of the 8 teeth removal was 1500 if I remember right, no insurance.

Now my cost "with insurance" for everything I listed above was gonna be right at 5000. The insurance covered like, 1000 dollars worth and then stopped. Sort've helpful but not enough.

I have new insurance now, I just started a new job with the federal government and they have much better dental coverage, so my total cost should be somewhere around 1200 for the root canals (which were the bulk of the cost before), so already doing a lot better. Still expensive, but I'll be able to get that done sometime next year.

AmyRichmond

Ratings
Thank goodness this hasn't happened to me! Though I empathise with anyone who has had this happen to them, as I cannot stand going to the dentist - I really hate it.

What I really hate is when I have to have fillings done. The drilling seems to go on forever.

Ratings
@ShadowEdge No, not in any pain at all, thank goodness, just felt really uncomfortable since my tooth was really loose and sort of just hanging from a piece of my gums. I was really mad about that because I was unable to eat anything for about three days. All I did was drink water, but did very little of that because I was so mad that I couldn't eat. I'm a foodie, my parents owned a restaurant when I was growing up, and they cooked every single day. I grew up on great food, so not being able to eat really upset me... not that I can't stand to lose a few pounds, but that's not the subject here.0_O O_0 :whistling:
Strangely enough, the tooth is no longer dangling like it was, it has kind of gone back up into my gums. It's still very loose, but at least I can eat now.
You're right, a toothache is the worst. "They" say a toothache can kill you, and I understand that saying, whether it is true or not.

I have to get an implant for that tooth. I can't get a denture just for one tooth, I don't suppose. What kind of trouble have you had with implants, if you don't mind my asking?

@Zack T Ugh, don't post a picture of your mouth if it's a mess!:eek: I can understand about the cracked teeth. This tooth is actually a tooth that I had a root canal in. After the root canal, the dentist put some kind of temporary plaster or something on it to hold it in place, but then my dentist moved, stopped accepting the insurance that I had, so I decided that the temporary work was just fine and didn't bother going to see another dentist.
I don't like going to the dentist from bad experiences that I had as a young girl, so my dental visits are few and far between. Before finding this particular dentist that I'm speaking about now, I had not been to the dentist in probably 10 years, maybe more. When I went that time, I had 10 cavities that needed to be filled. The dentist told me that he was going to fill five of them and have me come back for the other five. Once I got in the chair, he filled all 10 at once and said he did that because he knew that if he only filled five, I would not come back to get the rest done.

That was years ago. So, when I went to the 'new' dentist years later, I had to get about three or four root canals. By the time she (my dentist) got to the tooth I'm talking about here, I felt like the temporary work was fine and that it would keep. That was about three years ago, so it's my fault for not going back and having the work on the tooth completed, but now I have to go... unless the tooth falls out.

I totally can identify with your 2008 tooth pain because of an infection. I had that happen to me, tooth pain because of an infection. And just to make things extra interesting for me, one side my face also "swoll" up like a chipmunk with a mouth full of nuts.

it's great that you have good insurance now. I'm thinking of getting better dental insurance just because of this incident here. There's so much insurance out there though, I don't know which one to pick.

@BamBamsGurlMoo That would infuriate me if I was eating something and it contained something that made me chip my tooth. Did you sue the company that made the pie, or was it homemade?

@AmyRichmond Yeah, I hate going to the dentist too, and that is part of the problem here with my tooth. As I was telling @Zack T, I had some work done on this particular tooth and was supposed to go back and get the work finished, but decided that I had had enough. Now, here a few years later, the temporary work ran its course, so when I was eating the other day, I had this issue come up.
I hate having fillings done too. I once had 10 cavities filled all at one sitting. It was just such a heart-warming, beautiful experience :lol: :roflmao:!!

Laffy

Wales forever!!!
Subscriber
Ratings
My tooth fractured as it’s not a front tooth I’m just leaving the hole it’s fine to do so as I have a root canal tooth that fell apart and has been four years and I’m happy you can’t see the holes so it’s fine

Ratings
Oh my God, this is my biggest nightmare!! I actually had a nightmare just a few days ago where one of my teeth just fell out while I was singing (don't ask). I still have all my teeth and I plan on keeping it that way, though you never know what happens...