Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Smackdown vs Raw '08 Official, Multi-format

Clarkey

THQ has revealed that WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 is to be released on PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, PSP, Wii and DS.

PlayStation 3 owners were left wanting when THQ canned the PS3 version of WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, but THQ has confirmed that the 2008 edition is most definitely coming to PS3.

Last year's effort was released on Xbox 360, PS2 and PSP and these platforms are joined by the PS3, Wii and DS for the 2008 release.

"We are extremely pleased with the success of the SmackDown vs. Raw franchise and its continued growth to a widespread audience, particularly in our European markets," said Bob Aniello, senior vice president, worldwide marketing, THQ. "With the addition of fresh, innovative game play on the Wii, the tremendous capabilities of the PlayStation 3 system and unique handheld experiences for Nintendo DS and wireless devices, gamers can now truly live the life of a WWE Superstar and choose from numerous ways to play."

New features for the 2008 edition include the addition of eight "Superstar Fighting Styles" that will differentiate wrestlers from one another. Also new is a "Struggle Submission System" that will give players further control of grapples allowing adjustments to each hold's pressure.

There's also good news for ECW fans, with the inclusion of ECW arenas, weapons and superstars all confirmed. The game will also feature new rosters, more environmental hotspots, a combined Season and General Manager mode and, wait for it... touch screen control for the DS version.

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 will be released in the autumn.
Credit to Pro-G. It's a funny coincidence I was saying to some peeps in the chat room, that someone who is supposed to 'in the know' told me the other day that details would be released soon and it could be shown in some form around the Superstar Challenge/Wrestlemania Weekend. The inevitable has happened, but we can at least pretend to be shocked.

Combined Season and GM Mode sounds interesting, perhaps a mix of the way you could adjust the roster on SD1 and 2? The changes to the submission system sound interesting enough as well. I guess my and many peoples hopes of a entirely new engine to move the series forward fell on deaf ears though.

Also while it's great it is hitting the DS and the Wii, its a shame that they haven't taken the intiative and challenge of developing two unique WWE licensed titles for these formats. Sd Vs Raw with a couple of tacked on Wiimote features/Touch Screen features is just the lazy way out. Just in the same way the PSP version will be a nigh on port of the PS2 version again. I know it's all revolved around money, but some risks on the Ninty formats (even if they failed badly) would have earnt THQ and Jakks some kudos. Sure Crush Hour and Betrayal both were pretty woeful, at least they were something new.

Have to say though that I am surprised they didn't go the route I expected, and tried to release an ECW title as a seperate entity, possibly as the DS/Wii titles. But then it has hardly set the world alight, so I guess it wasn't strong enough to take the gamble on from the big wigs, when there was easy money to be made from the SD Vs Raw franchise.

Last edited:

MojoPogo

I see your point, but until the full details of the Wii/DS games are released, surely we should give it a chance? Its awesome these formats are being included. I really want them to sort out the little glitches in the engine such as chokeslams not really connecting and such, but the combined gm mode/career sounds really good. Now they just need to make a bit less repetitive.....

Reno

Aslong as they sort out the glitches, collision and AI, the game should own so hard.

The Phenom Billz

I really hope they improve the commentary. It's as annoying as hell and very repetitive. JR and King are the worst to listen to whilst playing on SD vs RAW 2007. Glad to see it will be released on the PSP as i probably won't be getting the PS3 and the PSP is the closest i can actually get to gaming.

Fidel Cashflow

Well, since Smash Bros. Brawl will be using the GC controller, I hope SvR uses it as well. It's just over complicate an already tricky fighting system on the Wii.

wyndorf

Aslong as they sort out the glitches, collision and AI, the game should own so hard.
No silly, in Smackdown! games, those are "Features".......;)

I'm a tad disappointed that there's not going to be a Wii only version. We now get one WWE game a year. Hell, even though the Wrestlemania on the Xbox was tosh, it was still nice to look forward to it.......Day of Reckoning however, was ace.

Please THQ/Yukes, can you make it so the tables don't disappear when they break? Thank you.

OiOiOi

Oh no, combining season and GM mode... I love GM mode, it's the only thing I play on that game and I hope to god they don't ruin it.

Kanenite

I found GM Mode to be to complicated in the latest game hence why I didn't really play it so I hope they make it pretty basic in this game. Quite looking forward to it actually.

The Icon

I hope they make GM mode more complicated, menu nerds like me will be happy then. If anything I found it was too easy, but then I'm used to EWR sim which owns WWE sim.

Nice to see Nintendo are included, while I don't have their consoles I am glad that people who own them won't miss out.

DC

I just hope they rectify one small thing that always pisses me off, and one thing from the last game that pissed me off too.

First, the usual problem. Weapons. More specifically, weapons on the floor. On 'No Mercy' for the N64, if you placed a chair/table segment/sign/whatever on the floor, they stayed there. And you could walk over them too, which meant you could do moves on them...and they made a different sound as well, which added to the hardcore (which will now be Extreme Rules) matches. 'No Mercy' is at least 5yrs old, which, to me, means it shouldn't be too hard to impliment it into today's console-powered games.

The second point was the fact there was no "clean" chairshots in the last game. When you hit someone with a chair, unlike the previous game, the chair didn't dent around their skull, which spoiled it somewhat.

Two small things, but I'd still like them to be rectified.

Marshall Mac D

I miss walking backstage in the sd vs raw game's like going to the gym backstage parking lot and boiler room like in hardvcore match's in the old sd game's be able to crash backstage and wrestler there since they dropped that hardcore game's have been a bore.

Christof

From reading Nintendo's magazine (or was it the unofficial one), the gameplay and ame are going to be different on the Wii with a stripped down roster and a style of gameplay more suited to the Wii than say the Xbox or PS style.

Release date of this autum I'd presume?

dpddave

talent spotter
Subscriber
The thing with SvR is you get bored off it after a couple of weeks,well i do anyway. I cant remember the last time i played it...

MojoPogo

As long as theres a bit more interactivity in the storylines, as opposed to just winning or losing. Actually being able to influence feuds would be nice......