Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - May 14, 2010 from Buffalo, NY (#560)

TPIB

(SmackDown was taped following WWE NXT on May 11)

Venue

HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY

Confirmed Matches/Events

WWE Over The Limit Preview Match:
CM Punk Vs. Rey Mysterio

Intercontinental Championship Tournament: Finals:
Christian Vs. Kofi Kingston

Build To WWE Over The Limit

Last edited:

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
nodq.com

WWE Friday Night SmackDown
Airing This Week

1. Kofi Kingston defeated Christian to win the Intercontinental Title. This match alone will make Fridays show worth watching. The crowd was into it the whole time. Kofi won with Trouble in Paradise.

After the match, Drew McIntyre came out and handed a letter to Teddy Long. After reading the letter, Teddy asked Kofi for the title. Kofi initially refused to give it to him, but eventually gave in. Teddy gave the title belt back to McIntyre, who was pretty much booed out of the building. They wasted a great match. Kofi stood in the ring fuming after Drew left for a couple minutes before leaving.

After commercial, Matt Striker read the letter and was booed completely. Everyone is pissed over this. WWE did a great job generating heat.

2. Shad Gaspard beat a local wrestler. Total squash match that went on longer than it should have. The crowd was pretty dead for it until the end. Shad got more cheers than heat, which is not good if they want him to be a monster heel.

Letter Update: The letter that McIntyre presented to Long stated that Teddy is irresponsible and abused his power. It also stated that McIntyre is a gentleman who signifies what the future of WWE is. Per the letter, McIntyre is reinstated to the active roster and is once again recognized as the Intercontinental Champion. It was signed by Vince McMahon.

3. MVP and JTG beat The Dudebusters. The crowd was behind JTG and MVP. They had no idea of who the Dudebusters were. MVP and JTG won when MVP hit what seems to be a new finisher.

After tag match they showed the Straight Edge Society. Punk preached about how he saw doubt in them and that they weren’t coming to ringside for his match against Rey Mysterio tonight.

Crew members set up Jack Swaggers trophies.

Swagger came out for his presentations of his trophies. He delivered a long promo that was actually pretty good. He gained a lot of heat from it, booed constantly.

The Big Show came out and was cheered incredibly. The crowd was into Big Show big time and kept booing swagger. Show proceeded to touch and break swaggers trophies. Swagger tried to attack Show, but was thrown out of the ring. Show went on to smash all of the trophies while Swagger watched from outside of the ring. Show then punted swaggers football into the crowd After destroying everything, Show posed with the World Title as Swagger flipped out on the outside.

They continued to hype Rey Mysterio vs. C.M. Punk.

Teddy Long came out and announced Show vs. Swagger for the World Heavyweight Championship, which will probably be the dark match.

Beth Phoenix vs. Rosa Mendes was up next. The hometown girl returned (Beth Phoenix) and received the biggest pop of the night and a standing ovation. Before the match, Vickie Guerrero came out and introduced herself as the general manager of Raw and told Rosa to leave the ring. She said Michelle McCool has invoked her rematch clause and for the first time ever the women’s title will be defended in a 2 on 1 handicap match. Beth vs leycool.

4. Michelle McCool and Layla defeated Beth Phoenix, so McCool won the WWE Women’s Championship. During the match, a "Let’s Go Buffalo" chant broke out in support of Beth. Beth was selling the knee injury and had a brace on it. I can’t remember the last time I saw the crowd this into a women’s title match.

The match ended when McCool and Beth butted heads. After Michelle rolled out of the ring, Layla made the cover. The winner and new women’s champion is Michelle McCool. After the match, they mocked Beth as she sold the knee heavily and received a standing ovation as she was helped off.

5. Kane defeated Chavo Guerrero. Chavo put up a fight at first, then kane ended it with a chokeslam. Predictable match.

They again hyped Rey vs Punk for later tonight

They showed Teddy and Drew. Teddy told Drew that next week it will be McIntyre vs. Big Show.

6. Rey Mysterio beat C.M. Punk by DQ. Another great match. Rey hit the 619 and then the masked guy came out from under the ring to attack him for the DQ. After the match, the SES posed in the ring, with the masked guy to close the show!

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Sounds like a good show all round really. Good to see a heel getting some real heat for once.

DC

Even though the angle with Drew was predictable, it's simple and effective. The fans feel cheated after sitting through a great match and seeing someone the like winning the title, only for McIntyre to get it back with a letter.

I love it.

Dante Spears

Swagger is getting brilliant on the mic and getting some decent heat. While I'm not to thrilled about him bragging about being a "blonde haired, blue eyed" person, the bragging through commercial breaks was a nice touch.

video767

Swagger is getting brilliant on the mic and getting some decent heat. While I'm not to thrilled about him bragging about being a "blonde haired, blue eyed" person, the bragging through commercial breaks was a nice touch.
I think he's pretty good on the mic, but he had no business cutting that long, long, long promo. Seriously, who does this guy think he is? Steve Austin? I realize that the WWE wants the fans to become more familiar with Swagger, but that promo was a bit too long for a guy like him. While it wasn't the worst scene I've ever seen, it wasn't very convincing. The lack of violence was a bit disappointing.

Other thoughts from this week's show:

1. The IC match was very good with the exception of Kofi missing the kick. I liked the way Drew took back his title.

2. Shad Gaspard is looking strong.

3. The tag team match with MVP and JTG was utterly pointless.

4. I love to see Layla as champ...but why make Glamazon lose it in her hometown? :?

5. The Kane/Chavo match was utterly pointless.

6. The main event was pretty good, especially the end when Punk hit the GTS. That was cool. I love how creepy, strange and just non-PG the SES really is. This Mysterio vs. SES saga is the most interesting angle in the entire WWE right now imo.

Jimmy Redman

OK, Kofi/Christian is so the new greatest TV match you ever saw. I had AWESOME fun with this, the most fun I've had with a match in ages. They countered every spot you've ever seen them do, they made up new spots that I marked for, they both did their pendulum kicks on each other that I was begging for, and that finish made me literally shriek with joy, how awesome did that look?! Cant say enough good things about that match, loved it all.

And then the angle! Drew the last two weeks has been great as just a total pr*ck, kicking the sh*t out of Matt, just because he wanted to, and now coming out in that WHITE SUIT, with a letter, what an asshole. I swear I felt so sorry for Kofi, he EARNED the title in this long match, and Teddy was pleading with him and he didnt want to do it but he had to, and Drew was just smirking. Great stuff and I so cant wait to see Kofi and Drew now. This angle rules.

I like Shad's new music. I liked the "Shad's Taking Over" call too. Wasnt the best squash ever though.

I love them hyping Rey/Punk with the multiple videos. I like it when they do that for important main events, makes them seem...important. Plus the Aaliyah angle was fantastic.

Man, if MVP stays a face for the foreseeable future, he and JTG need to team up all the time. I dont care if that sounds racist, but I love the idea of them together, talking black together and dancing around together and what not. I mean, imagine if they got to cut promos together. Anywho, I love the Dudebusters. Well I love Trent mostly. AHAHAHAHAHAHA~! Todd freaking Grisham calling "Dude on dude crime!" in this match was the greatest thing of all time. This show is getting better and better.

SES backstage was fun, Punk forgiving them for the pause last week was great.

I can completely understand if anyone hates this, but personally I am SO into Swagger's new gimmick of winning everything in existence and cutting never-ending promos. He's just such a douchebag. This promo with all of the trophies was fun, it was so long, but it was fun. Absolute highlight was when he responded to the heat by saying "I dont suck, if I did I wouldnt have had this sandwich named after me!" I laughed so hard.

I also cant tell you how much I'm enjoying Show at the moment too. Firstly, Exhibit #759 Why JeriShow Ruled: Show has learnt to wear suits with vests like Jericho, and he looks awesome. Secondly, the man is just so damn likeable as a babyface. I enjoyed his mock hurt at the fingers line, I enjoyed him dancing around, I enjoyed the breaking of the stuff. Swagger selling this entire thing from start to finish was incredible, he went from concern, to shock at the first trophy, to rage and attacking him, to flipping out outside, and then finally he was almost in tears. Complete devastation here.

The ONLY bad thing I'll say about this segment is that when Show came out I was SO SURE that he'd eat the sandwich, and he didnt. That made me sad. But this was great fun. "Fun" is my new buzz word for shows, it seems, I keep repeating it, but I cant help it, thats what it is.

I legit felt sorry for Rosa there. I love Vickie so hard, plus she said she's still the Raw GM, so thats awesome news. BETH PHOENIX! Man, is she EVER over in Buffalo. This was heat like the women just dont get anymore, they were legit into her heaps, and she was clearly over the moon as well. Those moments are nice. I legit felt sorry for Rosa there. I love Vickie so hard, plus she said she's still the Raw GM, so thats awesome news. This match now makes sense given I know Beth has a torn ACL. Plus, after all, we cant mess with the Golden Rule of Wrestling. WOAH DOUBLE BACKBREAKER MOTHERF*CKERS~! Thats one of my favourite spots ever, epic mark out there. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SH*T! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~! LAYLA IS THE WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPION OF THE ENTIRE WORLD BITCHES! HOLY SH*T. LAYLA. OH MY GOD. This is the greatest moment in the history of our great sport. Actually its the greatest moment in the history of my life. Layla is the women's champion of the world. Holy Moses.

This show. Just when some sh*tty shows make me so fed up with this company, Friday comes and Smackdown steals my heart again. I mean, this show was already awesome so far, but now, I mean, Lord. This is an amazing day. I'm so stoked, Layla has been the best female worker in the world for quite some time already, this is awesome stuff. I was literally about to mention that she was going to make an awesome women's champ sometime in the next 12 months, and BAM.

Whats funny is that if you watch Layla's reaction to winning - screaming at the top of her lungs and running around in circles marking out - it was the EXACT same reaction I had. I mean, frighteningly similar. So much so that my father heard me yelling and came in to see what was wrong.

I love this show.

And so back from the break, is Kane and Chavo. Like, really. Its not exactly Layla winning the women's wrestling championship of the world, but hey. Actually though, honestly, I'm so fine with Kane and Chavo. I hope they feud forever. It saves them from actually feuding with anyone else, who I might actually like, and plus I dont mind Chavo that much if he's getting squashed in 30 seconds, and I dont mind Kane when he's squashing guys in 30 seconds. So whatever.

I enjoyed Teddy getting one back on Drew. Teddy/Drew is a great feud, I'd pay money to see them fight at this stage.

Punk/Rey was a fun little match, given what it was, and that it was almost certainly not having a finish. I liked Luke coming from nowhere, and Serena as the fake mystery man. If this guy turns out to be anyone other than Mercury I'll be shocked, because he really does look and move like him. Punk busting out the JESUS GTS SETUP was fantastic, and so was posing Rey like that too. Great stuff.

Oh, yeah, and Layla is the women's champion of the world. Just throwing that in there.

Last edited:

ScottyB

One thing I saw, that Jimmy seems to have totally overlooked, is the fact Layla is the new womens champ.

Dante Spears

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SH*T! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~! LAYLA IS THE WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPION OF THE ENTIRE WORLD BITCHES! HOLY SH*T. LAYLA. OH MY GOD. This is the greatest moment in the history of our great sport. Actually its the greatest moment in the history of my life. Layla is the women's champion of the world. Holy Moses.
This is an amazing day. I'm so stoked, Layla has been the best female worker in the world for quite some time already, this is awesome stuff. I was literally about to mention that she was going to make an awesome women's champ sometime in the next 12 months, and BAM.
Whats funny is that if you watch Layla's reaction to winning - screaming at the top of her lungs and running around in circles marking out - it was the EXACT same reaction I had. I mean, frighteningly similar. So much so that my father heard me yelling and came in to see what was wrong.
Its not exactly Layla winning the women's wrestling championship of the world, but hey.
Oh, yeah, and Layla is the women's champion of the world. Just throwing that in there.
All this. Since Maria left Layla has been the hottest Diva on the roster and I'm happy she won the belt. Maybe with this push it means she'll appear in Playbo-DAMN. Crappy PG rating strikes again :( . Guess I'll have to settle for the modeling pictures she did with a beach bum.

I think he's pretty good on the mic, but he had no business cutting that long, long, long promo. Seriously, who does this guy think he is? Steve Austin?
It's called getting heat... Swagger as an arrogant ***** who loves himself is his character. and it;'s working.

woody2goody

That was indeed a good Smacky.

A few things I took from that:

1. Big Show does look awesome in a waistcoat :)

2. Surprised that there was not any annoyance on the part of McCool, considering it was her rematch and Layla stole the win.

3. Christian vs Kofi was very good, I'm hoping Christian goes to fight for the World Heavyweight Championship now.

4. Kane and Chavo has a lot more potential than they are letting it show. Give them 10 minutes and I reckon you'd have yourself a good solid match.

5. There's a lot of casual racism going on towards MVPJTG.

6. (From Superstars) Curt Hawkins is back, but not with the Dudebusters. I guess they are desperate for more tag teams...

7. Shame Morrison isn't still on Smackdown, as he'd fit right in with the current crop of athletes on Friday nights.

8. The SES just reeks of awesomeness. The finish and beatdown was really clever (yes, I said clever).

9. No Cody this week. I've enjoyed his last two outings so a bit disappointed there.

Last edited:

video767

I can't believe you guys thought the Big Show/Swagger segment was good. If I'm supposed to take Swagger seriously, why does he just stand there and let Big Show destory his "life's work"? Ridiculous.

He had so many opportunities to go after Big Show. Why not pick up a piece of the broken baseball bat and attack him with it? Attack him with a trophy? Why didn't we get to see Big Show throw Swagger through one of the tables and then shove the "Swaggie" down Swagger's throat...like the way they've force-fed (I believe) Jimmy Snuka bananas. There was so much they could of done there, but it ended up being a long talk show that left us empty-handed.

Jimmy Redman

Because he was outside the ring, and if/when he tried to get in there and get him, Show was ready to kill him.

Plus he's the heel facing a giant monster babyface. He's not supposed to man up and make his own save.

Jozzoh

I think the Trophy segment would've been better if they had his actual name on all the trophies. Having "Swagger" on all the trophies just looked funny and I was legitimately laughing at how ridiculous it all looked. I think it would've been OK to break kayfabe a little to make the segment a bit more realistic/ more powerful.

Fiona

I thought the Swagger segment was too long too. Am I wrong in thinking that Swagger might have a lisp?

Big Show was the best part of the show, as soon as I saw the football knew it was going to be punted somewhere. Thought Swagger would have had one of his pictures smashed over his head, but oh well. Other than that an okay show.

Fiona

No; the faces have been mocking him about it for months.
I've been watching Impact on Mondays so missed a lot of what happened on RAW. Also missed quite a few Smackdown's recently as we've been out on Friday's so didn't really know that people were talking about it. It was really apparent during that long promo.

The GS

I've been watching Impact on Mondays so missed a lot of what happened on RAW. Also missed quite a few Smackdown's recently as we've been out on Friday's so didn't really know that people were talking about it. It was really apparent during that long promo.
It was mainly back in the ECW days when people like Christain were mocking him. I can't really remember people mocking him on Raw.