Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - June 25, 2010 from Manchester, NH (#566)

TPIB

(SmackDown was taped after NXT on June 22)

Venue
Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH

Confirmed Matches/Events

No DQ:
CM Punk Vs. Kane

WWE Fatal 4-Way Fallout

Last edited:

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
nodq.com

WWE Friday Night SmackDown
Airing This Week

SmackDown opened with GM Teddy Long and Vickie Guerrero coming out on stage. Long said it's been a whirlwind couple of he weeks. Long then explained an eight-man Money in the Bank concept match for the next PPV. He said the winner can cash it in for a World Title match.

Vickie spoke, but the crowd was so loud that I couldn't hear what she said. Drew McIntyre then stepped in and threatened Teddy Long. Long tells Drew that he has full power over the show. Long then re-instated Matt Hardy and booked Hardy vs. McIntyre for tonight.

The Smackdown intro aired and pyro went off. Big Show comes to the ring as they showed that Kane vs. C.M. Punk has been booked for a No DQ match tonight.

Jack Swagger came out on the ramp and said he's protesting how WWE treated him at the Fatal Four-Way PPV. He said he's not happy about his World Title loss. And he's cashing in his re-match against Rey Mysterio at the MITB PPV. Swagger vs. Show is next.

(1) Big Show beat Jack Swagger via DQ. Show hit a huge superplex on Swagger at the beginning of the match. Swagger eventually locked in a Kurt Angle-style anklelock and Show struggled to the ropes. He grabbed the ropes, but Swagger refused to let go. The ref called for a DQ and Big Show won. Swagger left the ring as show struggled to his feet. The refs helped him to his feet and carried him (yes, carried Show) to the back as the crowd cheered.

A video package aired on the Archer/Hawkins win over Christian/MVP last week.

(2) Christian & MVP & IC champion Kofi Kingston beat Dolph Ziggler & Vance Archer & Curt Hawkins in a six-man tag match. Decent match with a few believable nearfalls. In the end, MVP and Kofi cleared out Hawkins and Archer, then Christian hit the Killswitch on Ziggler for the win to a huge pop from the live audience. Other notes: Kofi got a nice New England reaction. Also, the side opposite the hard camera is still about three-fourths full. Still seeing many scattered empty seats.

A backstage video aired on Kane talking to an empty casket. He yelled that he's going to decapitate the head of the SES tonight in his No DQ match against C.M. Punk. He then slammed the casket closed.

Matt Hardy was shown making his way to the ring for his match against Drew McIntyre.

(3) Matt Hardy beat Drew McIntyre. Hardy was thrown to the outside at the beginning of the match. McIntyre stood in the ring as the crowd chanted, "You can't wrestle" and "U-S-A." Drew then dominated as "Hardy" chants began. At least this wasn't a throwaway match for all this build-up they've done with this feud. Drew eventually had Hardy on the steel steps and was about to stomp on his arm, but Hardy tripped him and Drew landed on the steps. Back in the ring, Hardy hit the Twist of Fate for the win as the crowd cheered.

Teddy Long then came on the video screen and said, "Drew, sorry you didn't win the match, playa. Looks like somebody's Visa has expired. Somebody is in the country illegally. Send Mr. McIntyre back to Scotland." Drew is pissed. "Na na na na hey hey hey goodbye" chants begin as Drew argues with Striker and refs. Drew stood at the top of the ramp as the crowd waved and chanted, "U-S-A."

Cody Rhodes came out with Husky Harris to cut a promo on his good looks. He asked the crowd which Superstar is the best-looking and they showed a graphic with Rhodes winning. Who voted? Confusing. He said Harris is an average man who can't help how he looks. Good quote from Rhodes to an audience member: "USA can literally hear you getting fatter." Rhodes then picked on Tony Chimel before doing the "hammock pose" on the top turnbuckle ala Chris Jericho. Rhodes kept repeating how good looking he is, then he called himself "Dashing Cody Rhodes" over and over and over again.

Vickie Guerrero was then shown on the big screen with Dolph Ziggler. Ziggler is unhappy with his relationship with her. He said he gives and gives, so now he wants a title match. "Make it happen," he said as he left. Vickie stared at a picture of Dolph and her.

(4) Kane vs. C.M. Punk went to a No Contest in a No DQ match. Kane threw Punk into the barricades on the floor to start. Straight Edge Society then ran out trying to attack Kan with onjects, but Kane gained control and eventually chokeslammed Gallows through the announce table. He threw Punk into the front row and Punk took off into the crowd.

Kane followed closely behind as they brawled through the arena. Kane caught up to him and chokeslammed him through another table as the crowd looked on and cheered. Punk then opened the front door of the building and ran across the street to outside the Verizon Arena while in his wrestling gear. Kane chased him down as I believe SmackDown went off the air!
Dark:

Teddy Long immediately came out and said C.M. Punk has left the building, but that won't stop the party. He said Jack Swagger will take on Big Show in a steel cage match one-on-one. This was opposed to the advertised dark match of Rey Mysterio & Big Show vs. Swagger & Punk.

Big Show beat Jack Swagger in a very short steel cage match. Afterwards, Show high-fived the fans in the front row to send the kids home happy.

Big Show signed some more autographs and took pictures with the crowd as Chimel thanked the Manchester crowd for the show. It was very strange that Rey Mysterio was not featured on the show after winning the World Title at the Fatal Four-Way PPV!

Last edited:

The Cork

He was a bit banged up after Fatal 4 Way, apparently, so with Rey's track record with injuries in mind they decided to rest him rather than risk it.

video767

Here's my thoughts on this week's show:

Swagger vs. Big Show - This was a good solid match. A bit too theatrical at times, but still fun to watch. Swagger saying that winners don't cheat and then getting himself DQ'd was classic heel antics.

Six-man tag team match - I was impressed with the quality of this match. MVP was better than usual and there was lots of high-flying stuff. Fun to watch!

Hardy vs. McIntyre - So Hardy looks like he lost some weight, which is good. This was a LONG match. I would have rather had this been shorter and the main event longer, but that's just me. When McIntyre was on the ramp at the end of the "visa card" ordeal, I was waiting for something exciting to happen....

Cody Rhodes promo - What a heap of sh:info7:t. :sleep2:

Kane vs. CM Punk - For those who didn't see this match, it is worth looking up on youtube. I loved Kane chokeslamming Gallows through the announcer's table. I was thinking in my head "some table spots would be cool". It never crossed my mind that Kane would throw CM Punk through a table backstage...through tables full of food. :lol: I was marking out for all of it, the most I've been into a match all year long. Punk leaving the arena was great...it's rare we see stuff like that these days.

All in all, impressive show! :thumbup2:

Jimmy Redman

First hour of this show was pretty...average, actually, at 4.30 I looked at the clock and thought "A whole other hour still?" which I do all the time with Raw but never with Smackdown. Maybe I was just tired. Anywho, the second half picked up well. Matt/Drew was a good, long match. Drew being deported was weird, feels like they keep repeating the same angle over and over - fired, suspended, return, suspended, fired, deported, etc. - but whatever. Main event was fun and a brawl actually going through the crowd and through the building and outside was such a throwback to times past that I didnt care about the non-finish. Nor the idea of Kane still being on this push.

Cody's promo was FANTASTIC. Just awesome fun. He's always been a good talker, and this is what happens when you let a guy apart from the usual cut a long promo. The guy has never been more interesting. "Dashing" as a name seems lame, "Handsome" would probably have worked better, but whatever. I enjoyed this a lot. Cody has been the best guy in the company the past 2 weeks.

And yeah, not having Rey on the show at all was really weird. I expected a big, poor-man's-Jeff celebration. He didnt have to work, just cut a promo. Weird.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the Alberto vignette was...alright. The content was bad but his performance was good. It better go somewhere better than "I'm an honest man" though. Although him as the anti-Eddie would be interesting.

And Big Show selling his broken ankle was IMMENSE. I felt so sorry for him every time he tried to stand and fell down like a big fat man.

Last edited:

The GS

He was a bit banged up after Fatal 4 Way, apparently, so with Rey's track record with injuries in mind they decided to rest him rather than risk it.
You don't have to wrestle to be on a show though. Just a promo with the belt would've been enough.

Thirteen

Best thing about SD was LayCools' entrance.
Cody was entertaining up until he said... "Dashing." :lol:lol
How lame.
Pretty Boy, Stunning, Ravishing, Handsome, etc, etc... Any of them would be better.

Tommate2k9

Worst smackdown in a long time. Really bad. I did enjoy cody's promo, although... dashing? Are you actually bent? I dont think I could have though of a worst name......

Try wasn't even on the show... which to be honest made the who show better for me. But it just seem crazy not to have him on it, just so he can wisper sexual favours to young boys wearing his mask.

I always love swagger, he always cuts a decent promo and performs in the ring. His match wasn't bad but you cant really do alot with the big show.

The GS

I only watched the Cody Rhodes promo because from reading the spoilers thats the only thing that interested me.
Dashing Cody Rhodes! :lol: That promo was boring as hell. Can't remember the last time I saw a promo that boring. I really can't. I want to see Cody succeed. But he just drains the energy out of the crowd with that crap.
Even though it was a pre taped Smackdown the "boring" chants were still audible. I can imagine how loud they were at the arena live.

video767

^I can't blame them for chanting "boring" to Cody Rhodes.

And I actually thought minus that, it was a good show.

iLoveHHH

Just one question........... who voted in this 'poll' to find the best looking wrestler and more importantly, how did john Cena come second, above Randy Orton??!!!!!!

takemethere

It seems people are pretty split about Cody Rhodes. His promo was the only thing that interested me, the rest of the show bored me to death.

iLoveHHH

I quite liked the Cody promo, at least they are doing something with him at last. But Smackdown right now has me really bored. I flick through most of it and i think i only watched Drew/Matt, Cody promo and the last bit of the main event when the brawl went out to the merchandise area. They need to bring a couple of the top guys back over. I'm thinking maybe Triple H may go there when he returns???

video767

^I think when they swtich over to SyFy, Triple H and a few others will return to SmackDown.

I think this weak roster is "punishment" for MyNetworkTV, but that's just my theory.