Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - June 19, 2009 from Roanoke, VA (#513)

TPIB

Venue
Roanoke Civic Center in Roanoke, VA

(SmackDown was taped after ECW on June 16)

Confirmed Matches/Events

Non-Title:
CM Punk Vs. Rey Mysterio

Non-Title:
Jeff Hardy Vs. Chris Jericho

Build To The Bash

Last edited:

Springsteen

Results.

SmackDown: (Airing Friday)

* SmackDown opens with CM Punk & Jeff Hardy cutting a promo on The Bash. Jeff says he will win his title back. Punk says he earned the title fair and square.

* Jeff Hardy b. Chris Jericho via countout.
- Hardy got the win with help from Rey Mysterio.

* Dolph Ziggler b. The Great Khali via disqualification
- Ziggler got himself disqualified with a chair.

* Melina b. Alicia Fox
- After the match Michelle McCool attacked Melina and said that she will be the first diva to hold both the Women’s and Diva’s Championship.

* Edge b. John Morrison
- Edge gets the win via pinfall after connecting with a spear.

* Cryme Tyme and R-Truth b. The World’s Greatest Tag Team and Ricky Ortiz
- R-Truth got the win via pinfall on Shelton Benjamin.

* CM Punk b. Rey Mysterio
- Chris Jericho is on commentary. He interferes during the match and Punk gets the win over Mysterio with Go To Sleep. This ends this week’s edition of SmackDown.

Dark Match:
* Jeff Hardy & Rey Mysterio b. Edge & Chris Jericho in a Steel Cage Match.
Should be noted that Rey challenged Jericho at The Bash and it will be Mask vs Title.

Jimmy Redman

The show has just begun and they've announced Jeff v Jericho and Punk v Rey. 2 minutes in and its already the greatest show you've ever seen.

The opening Punk/Jeff segment ruled hard. Accomplishes absolutely everything it had to accomplish. Jeff gets the big pop and does his Jeff thing, Punk comes out to boos and is made to justify everything he's done again, slowly becoming more and more indignant. They plant the seed of Jeff's 'lifestyle' vs Punk's 'lifestyle' for a heel turn. And having the pops to finish was so corny, but so great because it just fuels Punk's indignant fire. So many buys.

WOAH, REY~! I was wondering why they were doing their near-falls a minute in, but that explains it. I saw all the Reys in the front row but I thought they were there for Jericho to yell at, never saw Rey coming, that was so great. It was funny how Rey was literally not an inch taller than the little kids he was sitting with. He looked like one of them, legit. One of the better 4 minute matches you'll see, too. Shame they didnt get longer, but the angle makes up for that.

Why was Layla bitching at the girls, and then turned around and joined them in bitching at Dolph? Anywho, LAYLA.

Dolph's new music goes "I am perfection." So much approval there. AWESOME FINISH. Cannot understate how great Dolph is, and how great the fact that they arent squashing him is. These are some of the greatest Khali matches you've ever seen, too. Dolph rules immensely.

MICHELLE MCCOOL IS THE GREATEST WRESTLER OF ALL TIME. Man, Alicia Fox is so God damn good after, I guess, 4 or 5 matches its ridiculous. She was doing great sh*t in this match. Actually she took the whole match, then Melina just...hit her finish. Hmm, ok. MELINA GON' DIE! KNEETOTHEHEADBITCH! This rules. This is the Michelle I've missed for the last few months. Promo was iffy, but whatevs. Michelle RULES THE WORLD.

Oh my Goodness, Morrison v Edge at the top of the hour. I dont want to jinx things, but if I dont come back in 15 minutes after a long Smackdown match which puts over Morrison big time before Edge finally pins him with a spear, I'll eat my hat. Well I would, if I was wearing one.

OH GOD THEY PROMO'ED. This just gets better. Morrison isnt the most natural of guys, and it started off a bit clunky, but by the end it was great. Totally approve. They need to get him talking since, you know, people are supposed to care about him. So OK, NOW I'll check back in 15 minutes.

So...good, long 15 minute match? Check. Putting Morrison over big time? Check. Edge finally pins him with a spear? Check. I rule. Seriously, that was so great, it was everything I hoped it would be. John Morrison looked like a million bucks tonight. As a great man once said, that be some professional wrestling daddy.

Truth and Cryme Tyme. That really sounds like an awesome team. Not in that vaguely racist, "Oh they're all black lets team them up" way, but because they are all gangster and everything which actually makes sense, and JTG and Shad participating in Truth's entrance rules. You know, Cryme Tyme. They're a team that I have no special liking for, I'd never go out of my way to see them, and yet whenever I do see them talking or in a match, I enjoy them. Ricky Ortiz in trunks. Thats probably the very definition of the word 'LOL'. He sucks worse in trunks. Fun way to spend 5 minutes, anyhow, aside from Shelton jobbing.

That Jericho/Rey stuff was so great. That was literally one of the best Rey promos ever. He hardly ever sounds convincing, but my God, today, he sounded convincing. So great. I know I must sound like a broken record, sitting here every week saying this was great, that was great, everything is great, but I cant help it. This show is so awesome.

Main event was good, Jericho absolutely RULED on commentary and he needs to do it all the time, for every match. He buried Todd at one point. Finish seemed a bit abrupt but made PERFECT sense in all possible ways. That was seriously great booking. Jericho f*cks Rey, Rey beats the count for the pop, Punk takes advantage of the f*cking to win, Jeff protests and Punk is all "The hell do you want me to do?" and the boos rain down on him and everything is so God damn great. I need to find some new adjectives, I think.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this happened after the 6-man:

Todd: Why dont you go and dance with them?
JR: Well my back's been hurting me, I've been doing so much cardio...

Last edited:

TPIB

Again, I missed a big chunk of this week's SmackDown due to a storm in the area. I did get some awesome pictures and videos of the storm, though. Still, it's frustrating. It's weird, it seems like it always storms and knocks the satellite out whenever wrestling is on. Most of the time, it is SmackDown, but it has happened with RAW several times and ECW a couple of times too.

Thirteen

Punks subtle heel turn has the potential to be great... Good times.

"pound for pound Jamie Noble is probably the toughest guy in the locker room!" - Michael Cole
"I Agree with that!" - JBL

wtf?:lol:

Last edited:

Dante Spears

Dolph Zigglers new music....hmm, I dunno if it fits his character. He needs something more upbeat.

DC

Morrison v Edge was all kinds of awesomeness.

etz

Morrison v Edge was all kinds of awesomeness.
Agreed, my thoughts during the match were

1) Why isn't this on PPV. Seriously, it was better than all the matches at Extreme Rules, except, maybe, the ladder match

2) John Morrison is showing why he's a future main eventer (if WWE have ANY sense)