Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - July 30, 2010 from Corpus Christi, TX (#571)

TPIB

(SmackDown was taped following WWE NXT on July 27)

Venue

American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, TX

Confirmed Matches/Events

Women's Championship:
Layla (c) Vs. Tiffany

Build To SummerSlam

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
pwinsider.com

WWE Friday Night SmackDown
Airing This Week

WWE taped this week's edition of SmackDown from the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas.

The crew is setting up for SmackDown by placing a black carpet in the ring with a casket. Does this mean Undertaker is returning tonight?

Kane sat in the middle of the ring with the casket. A video recapped last week's show and Rey Mysterio becoming No. 1 contender. He said he sits by Undertaker everyday waiting for him to awake. He said he moved and opened his eyes for the first time yesterday. Kane said Undertaker also spoke. He said Taker could only say two words, which were the name of the person who attacked him.

Kane said anger went through his body when he heard the name. He said he couldn't believe that Rey Mysterio was the person who attacked his brother. He said Rey's name hangs in the air like a demon. He asked why Mysterio would do it.

Kane said beating Mysterio at SummerSlam won't be enough. He said Kane must pay for his sins and experience what Undertaker endured. He said he will stuff Kane inside the casket. The lights went out and Kane was still in the ring with the casket to close the segment...

It was announced that Mysterio would face Jack Swagger in a No DQ match...

Christian defeated Drew McIntyre. McIntyre set up Christian for his finisher and had the arms hooked for the DDT, but Christian countered with a small package out of nowhere for the win.

Layla will defend the WWE Women's Championship against Tiffany later tonight...

Cody Rhodes delivered grooming tips. He was wearing an avocado face mask. He said he was bringing us one step closer to being dashing...

An Alberto Del Rio vignette aired...

Backstage, C.M. Punk asked the rest of the SES which one was going to let him down. He smelled Serena's breath and told her thanks for showing up sober. He complained about Joey Mercury losing his mask. He said none of them would be anything without him. He pleaded with them to actually do something and said they should pack their bags if they don't. Awesome heel promo from Punk...

Big Show beat Luke Gallows by DQ. There was a funny spot where Show called for the ring announcer to put the mic next to Luke's chest before he chopped it. This was probably during the commercial break. In the end, the rest of SES jumped Show for the DQ. They continued to attack Show and did a spot with the ring steps that left Show lying. Punk removed his sling to show that his arm is fine.

Kofi Kingston beat Dolph Ziggler (w/Vickie Guerrero) by DQ. Vickie slapped Ziggler. Kofi flipped and was disqualified. Referees had to come out to restrain Kofi, who wouldn't stop attacking Ziggler...

Jack Swagger was interviewed backstage and said he wasn't in the mood for stupid questions. He said he's going to beat up Rey, break his arms, and throw him in the Gulf of Mexico...

Vickie Guerrero came out and announced that Michelle McCool would replace Layla in the match against Tiffany. Vickie had more heat than I've ever heard in my life. The match is still for the WWE Women's Championship.

Michelle McCool (w/Layla) defeated Tiffany (w/Kelly Kelly) to retain the WWE Women's Championship. Layla interfered in the match, which set up McCool getting the win.

Afterward, Teddy Long came out and said there only needs to be one women's champion. He said they can decide for themselves or he will make the decision next week. McCool and Layla argued over the title belts...

Rey Mysterio fought Jack Swagger to a no-contest in a No DQ match. They battled outside the building. Rey hit a huracanrana that caused Swagger to fall into the water. Rey turned around and Kane grabbed him by the throat and chokeslammed him into the water to end SmackDown!
Dark:

*Kane defeated Big Show in a cage match to retain the World Hvt. Championship. The cage is much smaller than the one they use for televised matches. Show pumped up the live crowd. The cage structure sucks. It's wobbly and maybe nine feet tall. Show got caught in the ropes and Kane won by walking out the door.

Rey's music hit and he came out and fought with Kane. They fought back inside the cage. Kane had Mysterio cornered, but Kane turned around and took a knockout punch from Show. Rey climbed onto Show's shoulders and hit a splash on Kane. Rey and Show celebrated while Kane headed backstage!

video767

This was a show worth watching. :thumbup2: Here are my thoughts on this week's show.

Opening Segment - Kane continued to be one of the best in the WWE on the mic. He sounded vicious the entire way through. Very over the top but great at the same time. I didn't know what to think of Mysterio being tied into the storyline.

Christian vs. Drew - This was a great old school match. While their match a few weeks back bored me to tears, this one was very nice.

Luke vs. Big Show - This was the best part of the show up until this point. I loved Serena stomping on Show's hand with high heel boots...it was hilarious.

Kingston vs. Ziggler - Better than last week, but I thought Ziggler won this one? Either way, Kofi going off at the end was great. I loved it when those drinks flew everywhere. :lol: Not sure if that was intended or not.

McCool vs. Tiffany - I was distracted by Kelly Kelly's large melons.

Rey vs. Swagger - This has got to be my favorite match of the year so far. Really. The early stages of the match were athletic and entertaining. Fighting through the crowd was awesome, and the bleacher spots were brilliant. Then they fought through the merchandise area, I loved the way that Swagger threw Rey all over the tile floors. After that, it became Attitude-era esque as Swagger carried Rey out of the arena and eventually was thrown into the water. The fighting was great, and Kane's ending was brilliant.

All I can say is....I can't shhhwimmm!! :lol:

An excellent, exciting show all around. And one hell of a main event fight that even topped the CM Punk/Kane match from several weeks back.

Last edited:

Jimmy Redman

To echo video, fantastic show with no bad bits whatsoever.

Kane's promo was great, he's really working at the moment. As soon as he said it was Rey I thought "Liar!", mainly because having it actually be Rey is so retarded it doesnt bear thinking about, so I hope I'm right.

Drew/Christian was a fun little match, a Christian TV special. Loved Drew continuing his steel ring apron gimmick, loved Christian continuing his working the arm gimmick, really good work.

Punk's promo backstage was SO GREAT. Him being this Napoleon Asshole and just ripping into them all was great. As was breaking Show's hand, Serena stomping was so cool and Show selling it was great. And I really do like Punk's new look.

Kofi/Dolph was really quite good too, better than their first match, and GREAT ending and angle. Kofi being slapped and just snapping into Psycho Kofi was awesome, Psycho Kofi was one of the finds of 2009 and we really need to see more of him.

Dashing Cody is hilarious. I'm so tired of the Alberto vignettes though, he needs to be "coming soon" really quickly.

I loved all of the entire women's title shenanigans. I love how Vickie is still helping LayCool. I just love LayCool altogether. I love Michelle working. I loved how they were just throwing bombs here. And I love Teddy saving the day after the shenanigans, plus he Real Talk'd LayCool again. He and the girls need to have a 'Real Talk' on a Pole match. Anyway, cant wait to see what happens next week.

Rey/Swagger was really fun. Brawling through the crowd and around the arena is so rare these days its always exciting when they do it. And it was really fun. They must have been at the same place where Punk threw Chavo in the sea, right? Anywho, I still laughed, even though Swagger the collegiate athlete saying he was drowning was so ridiculous. And Kane caught me totally by surprise, I'd forgotten about him.

All in all a fantastic show, and now having said all that I'm off tonight to the SD house show to see LAYCOOL BIATCHES.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention was the absurdity, the infuriating absurdity, of Matt f*cking Striker accusing Todd Grisham of making sh*t up. The motherf*cking temerity.

Last edited:

Dogfingers

I enjoyed this one.

Ziggler and Kingstone had a really nice match, Christian is probably the best in ring worker in the WWE right now and made the bumbling McIntyre look like two million yen. The SES Big Show segment was nice and Kane's promo was great.

I also laughed really hard at Mysterio hurricarana-ing Swagger into the sea. Swaggers dive was so over the top

DC

I was thinking about the Rey/Kane/Undertaker angle and it's pretty much a given 'Taker is going to come out either at the end or just after the Summerslam match. However, I was also thinking that maybe, just maybe, WWE will swerve us at the last moment.

We all assume (with good reason) that Undi' is going to blame Kane, but what if he comes out, stares at Kane and then turns to Mysterio and he was the one behind it?

Jimmy Redman

The only redeeming feature of that idea is that its a swerve from Kane being the guy which was pretty obvious months ago.

But thats where it ends. Rey actually doing it is a terrible idea. It doesnt make any sense. It makes him either a heel or an Asshole Babyface, both of which are unacceptable. The believability of Rey turning Taker into a vegetable, even I know its remote. And we get a weird Taker/Rey/Kane angle where nobody is really a babyface and its all kind of strange, leading to the big payoff of Undertaker v Rey Mysterio, with the obvious result. And all we end up with is a Rey Mysterio a little less over for being such an Asshole.

Granted not that Kane doing it is going to change the world for the better, but at least at this stage its logical, he can turn heel, and they can have some lovely last feud together or something, and in the end Taker is back on top and ready to feud with the other SD guys and Kane can fade away into the midcard again having had his twilight moment in the sun.

DC

As an outside (WAY outside) bet, it could be Rey Mysterio, Sr. that Undertaker referred to. :lol: