Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - July 2, 2010 from Wilkes-Barre, PA (#567)

TPIB

(SmackDown was taped following WWE NXT on June 29)

Venue

Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Confirmed Matches/Events

New World Heavyweight Champion Rey Mysterio To Make His First Address As Champion

Build To WWE Money-in-the-Bank

Last edited:

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
nodq.com

WWE Friday Night SmackDown
Airing This Week

A video aired with Kane over a coffin. He said he will decapitate C.M. Punk tonight. They replayed footage from last week with Kane vs. Punk, and announced Kane vs. Luke Gallows for later in the show.

Jack Swagger came to the ring for a promo. He looked pissed. Big Show interrupted with a mic on the stage. He was limping, apparently selling the effects of Swagger's ankle lock from last week. Big Show headed to the ring and said he was going to break Swagger's jaw.

Cody Rhodes jumped Big Show and a two-on-one beatdown took place. World Hvt. Champion Rey Mysterio came out and helped clear the ring.

It was announced that Kane, Matt Hardy, Cody Rhodes, Christian, Kofi Kingston, and Big Show will compete in the Smackdown version of the Money in the Bank match at the July pay-per-view.

Jack Swagger came out again and invoked his rematch clause. Teddy Long said it would be Mysterio vs. Swagger in a cage match tonight. It appears this will be the dark match main event since they are now advertising Swagger and Cody vs. Show and Mysterio for the television show.

1. Kofi Kingston beat Dolph Ziggler. Ziggler came out and was arguing with Vickie Guerrero. Kofi win after a kick to the head in about five minutes. Ziggler and Vickie bickered throughout the match. Vickie was pissed that he lost and left to good heat.

C.M. Punk was shown with his arm in a sling as the crew set up for The Peep Show, which included ladders being set up in the ring. Christian came out in street clothes. Matt Hardy came out next and got the biggest pop of the night thus far. I don't know where the criticism comes from, but Hardy is way over.

Hardy is reinstated and it was mentioned that Drew is out because of visa issues. They argued over who will win the MITB match, but agree they both deserve it. Hardy got the best of Christian and threw him into the ladders.

There was a video with a promo by soldiers in Iraq. They set up pyro around the ring, so apparently Kane is next.

Alberto Del Rio was featured in a vignette on the Titan Tron.

Cody Rhodes was looking in a mirror telling himself he's dashing. He said his motivation for attacking Big Show earlier was the Money in the Bank match.

2. Kane beat Luke Gallows (w/C.M. Punk) by DQ. Punk was wearing a sling. The DQ occurred when the masked Straight Edge Society member ran in. Kane chokeslammed the masked man and Gallows.

Kane grabbed Punk, but Serena came out with a mic in hand and a video played of her doing shots with some guy in a bar. Punk walked into the bar and scattered the drinks. He gave her a hard time for drinking. This was security video that featured a time and date. Kane left and Serena begged for forgiveness. The Straight Edge Society left her behind.

3. MVP beat Chavo Guerrero. Chavo took the mic before the match and said he deserves an Intercontinental Title show if he wins the match. MVP won with some kind of twisting face buster.

A promo was shown for Ricky Steamboat's DVD. Matt Striker was on the mic taking video footage of the crowd and their signs.

4. Kelly Kelly (w/Tiffany) beat Michelle McCool (w/Layla). Kelly Kelly came out with another Diva (assuming it was Tiffany). LayCool came out and attacked Kelly, then sprayed perfume around. Kaval was not with them tonight. Kelly won the match with a roll up. The crowd was flat for this one.

There was another Iraq video, and a second Albert Del Rio vignette.

Rey Mysterio came out and cut a promo in the ring about winning the World Hvt. Championship at the Fatal Four Way pay-per-view. It will be Rey vs. Swagger at the pay-per-view.

A Nexus video highlight package was shown.

5. Rey Mysterio and Big Show beat Jack Swagger and "Dashing" Cody Rhodes in DQ. Swagger refused to release the ankle lock when Rey was in the ropes!
Dark:

*Chris Masters beat Tyler Reks. Masters won with the Master Lock. A good portion of the arena is tarped off!

The GS

Swagger refused to release the ankle lock when Rey was in the ropes!
First the Angle attire at Wrestlemania and now this. Well we can see who they're basing his style on.

Jimmy Redman

To be fair, as much as I hate Angle, Swagger should be stealing as much as he can from him since he's essentially a ten-years-later version. I notice him doing the "I'm down-NO I run and jump to the top rope" spot, which is good too. The Ankle Lock is perfect for Swagger.

The big SES angle just confuses me, since a) I have no idea why Punk is upset, and b) they originally said Taker was vegetated "over Memorial Day weekend", so I'm not sure why an alibi for a few hours of one night is really sufficient to clear them.

ALL the women are awesome. LayCool even have TBP's hairspray now. But they're all awesome.

Cody is awesome too. His promo was so freaking wacky, his new gimmick is so freaking wacky, but I love it. I like putting him in the main event too.

Main event was fun. I like Alberto so far. And the Peep Show was fun enough too.

video767

Here's what I thought of this week's show:

Opening - This was a decent way to start the show. The promos were a bit flat, but that's what I've come to expect.

Kofi vs. Ziggler - They keep on burying Ziggler, and I keep on shaking my head.

The Peep Show - I'm glad they decided to use two "pioneers" of the ladder match for this segment. I just wish there was more action than Matt simply throwing him into the ladder.

On a side note, it's ironic how these two are the weak links from their former tag teams. Jeff Hardy and Edge are main-eventers, while these guys are mid-card at best.

Kane vs. Luke - This started off strong, but it lost me at the "bar stool" video. First of all, I thought Serena was drinking with CM Punk (that guy looked like he could be Punk's brother). And it just left me thinking WTF?

BTW, I thought Sernea was Vickie when she first started talking. :lol: I think she's pretty hott...just needs some hair. :p

MVP vs. Chavo - Waste of everyone's time.

Divas Match - Pretty good, I'm glad to see Kelly Kelly doing well. Layla's whole smell issue is annoying though.

Rey Mysterio's promo - This was a joke. First of all, it's hilarious how they take out the "heavyweight" out of the title. Secondly, Rey doesn't do well on promos unless he's against the SES. And speaking Spanish was just unnecessary. I'd prefer a heel to do that.

Main event - A passable, decent main event. Cody Rhodes did a nice job.

video767

The big SES angle just confuses me, since a) I have no idea why Punk is upset, and b) they originally said Taker was vegetated "over Memorial Day weekend", so I'm not sure why an alibi for a few hours of one night is really sufficient to clear them.
I think Punk was angry because Serena drinking shows that the SES isn't perfect. At least, that's all I can think of.

And I agree about your second point. All of a sudden an entire weekend became one night.

Dante Spears

Cody Rhodes character would work better if he didn't look like something you found under a rock.

FreeSpirit

I do like the Dashing Cody Rhodes gimmick, but main eventing SmackDown already was a bit surprising. Great show though, and good to see Swagger add the Ankle Lock to his arsenal over the last couple of weeks.

The GS

Only a matter of time before Swagger adds the triple german suplex to his list of moves.

ScottyB

I really enjoyed smackdown, minus the huge mind**** of why punk couldn't of attacked Taker when he was only at the bar for about 5 minutes when Taker was attacked in a 48 hour bracket.

I'm liking how they've actually started nicknaming moves again, like Cody's "Beautiful Disaster".

I loved how Swagger had Rey in the ankle lock and stared Show in the eye's whilst slowly moving away from him.

DC

Only a matter of time before Swagger adds the triple german suplex to his list of moves.
Yeah, I'm sure Chris Benoit (if he wasn't dead) would be just as pissed as Ken Shamrock that Jack Swagger has "stolen" their moves. ;)
I loved how Swagger had Rey in the ankle lock and stared Show in the eye's whilst slowly moving away from him.
I thought that was genius and I genuinely was waiting for Swagger, after he went under the bottom rope, to drag Rey all the way up the ramp in the Ankle Lock as Big Show hobbled up after them.

Sticking with Swagger, the Ankle Lock is the perfect hold for him and the way WWE are pushing him now is how they should have pushed Jack leading up to him winning and cashing in MitB. Also, it would've been nice to see a MitB cash-in be won by submission for a change.

video767

^I agree that seeing a MITB contract be cashed in with a submission would be nice. And I feel that Swagger should be the champ right now. If they were going to bother making him the champ, he should have gotten a long reign like the one Diesel had in '95 or the one Angle had in '00 (their first reigns).

I do like the Dashing Cody Rhodes gimmick, but main eventing SmackDown already was a bit surprising. Great show though, and good to see Swagger add the Ankle Lock to his arsenal over the last couple of weeks.
Cody Rhodes has main-evented PPVs before, so I don't really think it's too surprising to see him main event SmackDown.

DC

I forgot to mention, but I absolutely loved Big Show's defence to the avoid-chokeslam-by-rolling-into-the-anklelock counter Angle has used a hundred times. Just using his size to block the roll and then (kinda) German suplexing Swagger was brilliant

DC

He doesn't need the Angle Slam; his SwaggerBomb covers the high-impact throw side of things nicely.

Dogfingers

That Matt/Christian segment was brilliant, it really made me rally behind them even though the offence at the end looked a little lame.