Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - January 7, 2011 from Tucson, AZ (#594)

TPIB

Venue
Tucson Convention Center in Tucson, AZ

Confirmed Matches/Events

World Heavyweight Championship: Last Man Standing Match:
Edge (c) Vs. Kane

2-out-of-3 Falls Match:
Rey Mysterio Vs. Alberto Del Rio

First SmackDown of 2011

Build To The Royal Rumble

The Icon

So they are doing the 2 out of 3 falls after all. They posted that on WWE.com 6 or 7 weeks ago. But then removed it. Sounds like a good match.

Last edited:

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
lordsofpain.net

WWE Friday Night SmackDown
Airing This Week

World Heavyweight Champion Edge beat Kane in a Last Man Standing Match to open the show.

Kofi Kingston beat Dolph Ziggler to win the WWE Intercontinental Title. After the match, Dolph attacked Kofi. Vickie Guerrero demands a restart and the match resumes. Kofi wins again.

Backstage segment with Drew McIntyre and Kelly Kelly.

Drew McIntyre vs. Big Show vs. Cody Rhodes to determine a new #1 contender to the World Title is next. Vickie Guerrero comes out and adds Dolph Ziggler to the match. Ziggler won the match by pinning Cody. Afterward, Wade Barrett came out and attacked Big Show.

A promo aired for Ezekiel Jackson coming to SmackDown.

Michelle McCool beat Kelly Kelly. Layla and McCool attacked Kelly after the match until Drew McIntyre came out to make the save.

Alberto Del Rio vs. Rey Mysterio in a 2 of 3 Falls Match is up next. Del Rio hits an armbreaker after dodging the 619 to score the first pinfall. Rey gets the second fall but Del Rio wins the third fall and the match after interference from Ricardo Rodriguez. After the match, Mysterio beats up Ricardo!
Dark:

Percy Watson defeated Chavo Guerrero!

Jimmy Redman

Not gonna lie, legit excited for this show. Rey/ADR sounds sexual, and although there's Edge and Kane, lets think about it, has Edge ever had a bad gimmick match in his life?

AND at least they're getting this out of the way first too. Arena brawl! This hasnt been bad so far, fighting around the building is so rare these days as to be a treat. Kane trying the Wheelchair Spot of Revenge was cool. OK, that turned out pretty well. The last few minutes where they just threw bombs was good. They actually sold me on the Chokeslam through the table, I was actually thinking "Why would Kane win the title back?" before he got up. As soon as Kane went for a chair I knew the finish would be a conchairto, and I was right, it was just the 2011 version, i.e. not to the head. Good match, and I dont hate these guys 2 weeks in a row. Plus, ITS OVER GOD DAMN IT.

One thing that stuck out here was the commentary. I mean, they were being serious for once (thank God), but it was so...lifeless. There was a point where Kane tried to Chokeslam Edge off the balcony in the crowd, and they're going like "That would not be good for Edge, he wouldnt be able to answer the 10 count" all matter-of-factly. Whereas if this was Jim Ross he'd be going crazy like "He cant Chokeslam him off the balcony - he'll kill him! That Kane is psychotic!" You know? There's no emotion coming through, no feeling like they're reacting to something real.

Although having said that, I'll take bland, soulless serious commentary over obnoxious, self-burying "comedic" commentary any freaking day.

Dolph and Kofi! Woah, THIS SHOW. Kofi has been the Greatest Man Alive the past couple months, and Dolph is the Greatest Man Alive this week, I cannot wait for this sh*t.

KOFI KINGSTON MOTHERBITCHES~! HE WON WITH THE CROSSBODY! WOAH, WOAH. That was...something else. This guy just IS Ricky Steamboat, without the technique. That was so awesome, I'm so happy for Kofi, he's been just the greatest for so long now. And even more to the point, its so nice when a storyline comes to fruition with a happy ending. So often with wrestling there's so much bullsh*t and swerves and stopped pushes and so on. But here you have a giant babyface chasing a title for ages, he gets closer and closer, people want him to win...and then he finally does. Only on Smackdown bitches.

In what has to be some sort of ironic dig at ME, there was so much going on on this show they DIDNT GET TIME. Blows my mind. Kofi becomes the master of the 15 minute workrate-fest, and he finally wins the title in an 8 minute match that didnt even go to commercial. Having said that, it was a really good match. I LOVED the crossbody teases and I LOVED countering the SOS. The intelligence these guys show amazes me. And I have to say it again, WHAT A FINISH. That crossbody is epic, its already totally over and having him win with it gives it that extra credibility as a near fall in the future.

The restart and second pin was strange, but it makes sense if its to break up Dolph and Vickie. Although...breaking up Dolph and Vickie? They've just got on a roll.

Ahaha, Kelly is the worst actor ever. Its hilarious that she's in this Trish angle where she has to act backstage every week for eternity. I still love this though.

Well, as we know, we cant book something on Raw without copying the exact same idea for Smackdown, so here's a triple threat match! Its so funny when they clearly just C+P with no thought whatsoever. On Raw, there were three fine contenders, thats fine. On Smackdown...not so much. Cody? Drew? But we just HAVE TO copy and paste! Hilarious.

Dolph! OK, this was FUN. Three of the bumpiest heels ever just bouncing off Show over and over. These guys took some wicked bumps. Drew died on the apron. Killing Show was a good spot. Show's comeback was fun - WADE! Well, thats a whole bag of common sense right there. Thank the Lord he's off Raw and away from Cena and Nexus. WHAT. OK, Show kicking out of THREE FINISHERS IN A ROW was utter bullsh*t. ESPECIALLY a protected finish like Drew's. Stupid move. They cant possibly have jobbed FOUR heels just to get Show over right? Christ. WOAH DOLPH~! I TAKE IT ALL BACK. That was so the right result. Dolph has been great lately, and as if you wouldnt feed him to Edge at the Rumble. Everything is OK again.

And now there's women! This show man. A pretty fun 60 second match there. I liked Kelly using Candice Michelle's Tarantula (another move stolen~!) and the spinning head scissors and the reversal. LayCool totally need to use the Sorry Tiffany more often too, its a great bitch move. Drew thing was weird since he didnt..do anything. They'd already beat her up and he didnt even help her up or anything.

And now there's lucha! This freaking show! Glad they're getting time too.

I always like when there's an early tapout in a 3-fall match to put over the gimmick. LA MAGISTRAL~! Woah, this is some lucha alright. I totally freaking marked for that. I love Rey's new wheelbarrow tornado DDT, its awesome. The work has been really great here, great main event. And what a clever asshole finish. It seems weird as a blow-off finish, but it was really well done. Love these guys.

What a show this was. Good opening brawl, great IC Title match, really fun 4-way match, women were fine, and a great main event. Nothing bad. Thats what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Shaun2J

Do what thou wilt
Subscriber
Matt Striker's reaction to the announce table spot was brilliant. The impact actually made him fall down to his knees with his gob open!

Dogfingers

Very enjoyable smackdown. Thoughts:

Edge and Kane are dull as dishwater but the match was actually pretty good.

Kofi and Dolph was good, though I'm not a fan of Kingston. A lot of his offense looks rubbish (the jumping clothesline and the double chops) and I loathe silly dancey moves.

The 4 way was excellent, I was dieing to see the Rhoades moonsault but he didn't get it. Ziggler is an excellent opponent for Edge at the Rumble, Edge can play off the whole Vickie thing.

Mysterio and Del Rio also put on a nice match, despite not being a fan of Mysterio's character, he always produces excellence in ring. Del Rio will be champ coming out of mania.

Jimmy Redman

So, I'm watching Smackdown again (its not quite so sad as that, my mother is catching up so I might as well), and Kofi/Dolph was just as fun the second time around. The timing on that crossbody was just immense. And this thing actually only went closer to 5 mins. The mind boggles.

This 4-way is also quite the match. I think I can enjoy it even more now that I know the result. They're all just getting murderised, Drew especially, him trying and failing to get back in the ring is hilarious. What a great match. Drew's apron bump was just BRUTAL. Show only kicked out of 2 finishers, which makes it slightly less infuriating. But a fantastic finish. Enjoyed more the second time around.

Its astounding to me that THESE WOMEN are by far the least interesting part of this show.

Rey/Alberto was masterful as well. I got such a kick out of La Magistral. I cannot wait for Alberto to win the world title.

Anyway, for the "I usually skip Smackdown" types, WATCH THIS SHOW.

Last edited:

The Icon

So, I'm watching Smackdown again (its not quite so sad as that, my mother is catching up so I might as well), and Kofi/Dolph was just as fun the second time around. The timing on that crossbody was just immense. And this thing actually only went closer to 5 mins. The mind boggles.

This 4-way is also quite the match. I think I can enjoy it even more now that I know the result. They're all just getting murderised, Drew especially, him trying and failing to get back in the ring is hilarious. What a great match. Drew's apron bump was just BRUTAL. Show only kicked out of 2 finishers, which makes it slightly less infuriating. But a fantastic finish. Enjoyed more the second time around.

Its astounding to me that THESE WOMEN are by far the least interesting part of this show.

Rey/Alberto was masterful as well. I got such a kick out of La Magistral. I cannot wait for Alberto to win the world title.

Anyway, for the "I usually skip Smackdown" types, WATCH THIS SHOW.
Wait did you just say your mother watches WWE? I can say right now you must be the only member who has a parent(s) who watch wrestling.

Shaun2J

Do what thou wilt
Subscriber
Something that bothers me is Wade Barrett all of a sudden forgetting what CM Punk did to him and appearing on Smackdown.

DC

Something that bothers me is Wade Barrett all of a sudden forgetting what CM Punk did to him and appearing on Smackdown.
Maybe it's more of a "I've seen what Nexus did to John Cena, I'm not having that happen to me" deal.

Jimmy Redman

Its even more of a "Punk is the new leader of Nexus, we need to get Barrett the hell away from that storyline, plus he needs to build his Undertaker match, so he's on Smackdown."

His kayfabe reasoning will probably be the old "I wanted to make an impact and take out the biggest guy on SD."