Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - January 15, 2010 from Green Bay, WI (#543)

TPIB

Venue
Resch Center in Green Bay, WI

(SmackDown was taped following ECW on January 12)

Confirmed Matches/Events

#1 Contender's Steel Cage Match for the World Heavyweight Title:
Batista Vs. Rey Mysterio

Build to the Royal Rumble

Last edited:

benz19

Wrestlezone are reporting these quick matches

Chris Jericho b. John Morrison

CM Punk & Luke Gallows b. The Hart Dynasty, Matt Hardy & The Great Khali w/Ranjin Singh & Cryme Tyme in a number one contendership Fatal Four Way match for the Unified WWE Tag Team Championship

Kane b. Dolph Ziggler

Mickie James b. Beth Phoenix via disqualification after interference from WWE Women's Champion Michelle McCool and Layla

Rey Mysterio b. Batista in a Steel Cage Match for the number one contendership for the World Heavyweight Championship. Mysterio will go on to face Undertaker for the title at Royal Rumble.

Not sure about segaments though :thumbup:

TPIB

Why did they have Batista, Rey Mysterio, and the commentators act like Batista & Mysterio have never been in a Steel Cage Match before?

Da Showstoppa

Big suprise that Gallows and Punk face DX, I thought it would be the Harts. Mind you, I suppose DX will be very good opponents for the "Straight Edge Society" to focus on.

Jericho's makeup job was a work of art, he even had gauze stuffed in his mouth to make his cheek swollen. Nice match with Morrison and Drew McIntyre was perfect in his role too.

Ring psychology is not dead folks! Dolph Ziggler and Kane's match told a brilliant story and had real purpose to it - proper old school. Ziggler trying to lock in the sleeper, and Kane being weary of it. Plus some good old fashioned Big Red Monster aggression to end it too.

Undertaker cut another great promo, and also announced he'd be arriving on Raw do deliver an answer personally to Shawn (which I'm assuming may take the form of a chokeslam) Can't wait for that.

Oh and I love watching the evil Batista. Brilliant character and he looked legitimately ready to explode when Rey outwitted him.

Excellent show + no Vickie Guerrero.

DC

Why did they have Batista, Rey Mysterio, and the commentators act like Batista & Mysterio have never been in a Steel Cage Match before?
I didn't pick up on anything from the commentators or the wrestlers that gave that impression.

Anyway, quick thoughts as I watched Smackdown...

• Jericho's bruising looked awesome and added some serious legitimacy to Tyson's punch from RAW.

• John Morrison's pyro in slow-motion looks cool.

• The way Drew carries the IC title is quite classy. It actually helps get his character/personality across really well. The way he taunted Morrison in the Walls of Jericho was great and looked believable, as was the after-match aggression.

• Jericho v Morrison was slightly disappointing considering how good both men can be. It was a good match, but it should've been a great match.

• CM Punk's promo was fantastic. It's been a while since we've had a righteous heel looking to save the average fan and Punk pulls it of greatly.

• Matt Hardy looks like a kid in a sweet shop during his entrance with Khali. Too much Red Bull backstage for him methinks.

• The four-way was short and enjoyable. I'm still impressed by how easily and logically WWE managed to bin the Festus gimmick and make it work.

• Batista's interview backstage was decent, though Josh asking Dave if he had any comment and him just saying "no" was actually pretty great.

• Undertaker's entrance is still one of the most visually impressive sights in wrestling. Also, his comments about Kane being the only one to come back for more was a nice little history lesson.

• Beth delivering a headbutt? Nice. Mickie v Beth is usually a good match up and this was no exception.The DQ sucked, but at least it made sense, but the after match was even better. Beth simply walking out to leave James unable to defend herself was a nice touch of imbiguity.

• McCool seems to be hitting the Faithbreaker really well now. The one she hit on Mickie looked brutal.

• Dolph Ziggler is someone I really enjoy watching and the fact he seems to have channeled the spirit of Mr. Perfect's hair makes him even better. His match with Kane was really good and told a good story. I look forward to seeing them go at it again. The pre-match interview just before the bout is something that isn't done enough these days. I think it works really well when you have a wrestler comment on their upcoming match just before it's due to happen, as it comes across as getting final thoughts from the guy when he's at his most, um, pumped for a fight.

• The spot where Kane missed the top-rope clothesline and Ziggler hit the Famouser was brilliant... even if Matt Striker called it the Zigg-Zagg. Although, to be fair, he did correct himself. In a similar moment, Kane countering the actual Zigg-Zagg into an attempted sidewalk slam was cool. This match was a good example of someone losing, but still being kept relatively strong in doing so.

• Watching the footage of John Cena at the Fiesta Bowl made me wonder if one of the reasons WWE don't turn him heel is because of the demand for Cena through the Make-a-Wish Foundation and other charitable situations.

• REY ISN'T WEARING A MASK!!!!

• On the way to the ring, Batista looks like the baddest motherf*cker on the planet.

• What an awesome little spot. Rey setting up for the 619 and then realising that he can't do it because of the cage was a sublime little event that made so much logical sense. Batista's reaction and then Mysterio's alternate idea were brilliant. The end sequence, from Batista hitting the spear nicely done.

• The main event was a great cage match that the fans were seriously into from bell to bell. I'm not looking forward to Rey v Undertaker at the Rumble.

TPIB

Whether that was sarcasm or not, I will elaborate; I was referring to the part in the match where Batista was on the second rope in position for the 619 and Rey realized that he could not use the 619 in the cage, so they had Rey and Batista express their realization of that, as well as having the commentators discuss it.

The Undertaker had a great promo and all, but it did not feel entirely necessary since we already knew that he would be appearing on RAW to answer Shawn Michaels' challenge.

I noticed an odd editing choice at the end of Undertaker's promo. After he got done with the promo, they cut to a slow motion cut of the entrance he just made. It made me wonder if the title belt fell off or he tripped or something :lol:

I wonder if Tyson really popped Jericho good or if they put make up for that spot on Jericho and had him put cotton in his mouth.

These plants that they have in the audience for the "Straightedge Salvation" segments are better actors than some of the talent on the roster.

Jimmy Redman

Whether that was sarcasm or not, I will elaborate; I was referring to the part in the match where Batista was on the second rope in position for the 619 and Rey realized that he could not use the 619 in the cage, so they had Rey and Batista express their realization of that, as well as having the commentators discuss it.
That doesnt really imply that he's never been in a cage before. If you wrestle every night and do that move, you'd just do it automatically, without thinking, until you realise that you are in a cage match and cant do it. Its just instinct.

If they actually did that, then its a great spot to show the uniqueness of a cage match, and showing that Rey had a huge disadvantage in having his finisher removed from possibility. Awesome stuff.

I missed Smackdown last week. I MISSED SMACKDOWN. Not happy. Everything sounded good, the cage sounded great, and the Divas angle. Grr.

DC

That doesnt really imply that he's never been in a cage before. If you wrestle every night and do that move, you'd just do it automatically, without thinking, until you realise that you are in a cage match and cant do it. Its just instinct.
Instinct (or the perception thereof) is why I like to see guys who are a bit tired and knocked a little silly going for pinfalls in non-pinfall matches now and again.

When you're not thinking straight and acting on instinct, you go with what you are almost pre-programmed to do and in the case of pro-wrestling, that's to go for a pinfall victory.

To me, it adds to the realism.

Da Showstoppa

Instinct (or the perception thereof) is why I like to see guys who are a bit tired and knocked a little silly going for pinfalls in non-pinfall matches now and again.

When you're not thinking straight and acting on instinct, you go with what you are almost pre-programmed to do and in the case of pro-wrestling, that's to go for a pinfall victory.

To me, it adds to the realism.
You see things like that in the Royal Rumble match too - it cost Randy Savage the victory in 1993 because Yoko kicked out and sent him over the top rope!