Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - January 1, 2010 from East Rutherford, NJ (#541)

TPIB

Venue
Izod Center in East Rutherford, NJ

(SmackDown was taped following ECW on December 29)

Confirmed Matches/Events

Beat The Clock Challenge For A Title Shot At The Royal Rumble

Intercontinental Championship: WWE TLC Rematch:
Drew McIntyre (c) Vs. John Morrison

First SmackDown of 2010

Last edited:

Springsteen

WWE Friday Night Smackdown Tapings for January 1:

CM Punk cut a hilarious promo about resolutions and then said next week he'll save someone from the audience.

CM Punk vs. Matt Hardy in a Beat the Clock match. CM Punk won with the GTS in 7:20. Matt tried to fight off Gallows but took the finisher.

Kane vs. Dolph Ziggler in a beat the clock ended in a No Contest when time expired. Ziggler hit the Zig Zag after the match.

The Great Khali beat a jobber called the Carolina Panther. It was roughly 10 seconds long.

Drew McIntyre beat John Morrison by DQ to retain the IC Title. The referees had to separate them after.

R-Truth vs. Batista and Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho still to come.

Mickie James beat Beth Phoenix after some failed interference from McCool. Afterwards Beth and Mickie double teamed them. Beth dropped Mickie with a Glam Slam afterwards.

Chris Jericho cut a promo about him beating DX. He said he's bigger than WWE.

Rey Mysterio beat Chris Jericho in an awesome match with 1 second left on the clock.

Mysterio has the time to beat at 7:19.

The Hart Dynasty beat Yang, Jesse and Maria. Natalya got the Sharpshooter on Maria after.

Batista failed to Beat the Clock when Mysterio interfered. Vickie came out and said Batista and Mysterio will fight next week to determine the real winner.

Rey Mysterio beat Batista in a Dark Match Street Fight with interference from Jericho, Matt Hardy, CM Punk and Kane. Awesome stuff.
Credit : Wrestleview.

Jimmy Redman

Woah, up until the last minute this entire show was an absolute masterclass in how to do Beat the Clock.

- Firstly, everyone involved was eligible to beat the clock.
- Smackdown matches, especially between the biggish stars, can often go over 10 minutes, so roughly 7 minutes as a 'good time' actually made sense. (I mean, compare this to Raw, which has 2 minute matches every week, and then suddenly they have this tourney and the stars find it hard to finish matches quickly. Just doesnt make sense.)
- ALL of the matches went pretty much the same 7 minutes, meaning nobody got jobbed, and Punk setting 7 minutes as the initial time didnt make him look bad at all.
- Every match was built around beating the clock, with guys rushing and doing different things and commentary (AMAZING all night, by the way, which is something since I've grown to hate Striker lately) putting over everyone's strategy and the idea of winning quickly. My favourite example being Dolph and Kane: before it began they suggested Dolph could use his amateur experience to get a quick pin, and then Dolph immediately started mat wrestling Kane looking for a quick pin!
- Jericho v Rey, I mean the last minute of this was just the best BTC stuff you've seen. I was marking out, and I knew the result!

And so on. This was just everything good about Beat the Clock, and nothing bad. Loved all of this show generally, nothing close to bad on it.

Punk/Matt was OK, Punk talking was fun though. I loved him asking how many people had already broken their New Year's Resolutions on the 29th of December, and the crowd just going "huh?" The promo in general was great.

Dolph/Kane was ridiculously OK as a match, and like I said incredibly interesting with the chain wrestling and the commentary. The finish, where Dolph panics at the time left so he tries to just choke him out, but Kane is Kane so he cant finish him, was great, loved it. Dolph looked so strong here. The state of Dolph's hair by the end of this was something else too.

This jobber showed more than any other I can recall just by pulling some faces. And Khali walking in, Chokebomb, and walking out is the best kind of Khali match.

Morrison/Drew was great. The match they had was good for however long they had, working the leg was fun, and I couldnt even get mad at the DQ because it was so clever. The brawl was awesome. I can totally dig Angry Morrison. This is how you do a sh*tty finish, because in the end my first thought was that I wanted to see the rematch, rather than how sh*tty the finish was. I love this show.

The Divas stuff I equally loved and hated. I LOVED Michelle and Layla coming out and courting Beth with their outfits and cheerleading and such. I loved Beth just looking at them like "WTF are they doing?" And I loved Mickie still after revanche. And then...they did 6 weeks worth of angles in 2 minutes. This was such a waste. Not a colossal waste since they didnt actually do the Beth face turn today, but way too early for any of this sh*t. Michelle shouldnt have touched Beth whatsoever. Really not happy about this because I immediately realised I could have booked this better after 2 minutes' thought. ANYWHO, besides that, the actual beatdown and everything was great. Layla and Michelle bumped like champions here. I still love all of these women so much.

Rey/Jericho was so great, like the best 7:19 match you'll see. They just had a great little Rey/Jericho match. Like I said, the last minute of this with the clock counting was incredible. So much win here.

Batista/Truth was quite fun. Truth showing fighting spirit was cool. Batista being an asshole was cool. Actually I enjoyed Batista sauntering around and ignoring the clock, with Toddy and Striker being all "Why is he wasting time?" but Big Dave is so cocky he doesnt even need to rush, he'll beat 7:19 EASY. I liked Rey outsmarting Dave, but I wish they'd have found a better way to do it, since this made Rey #5 in the Asshole Babyface Streak and that made me sad. But I couldnt hate Rey beating Dave again. Vickie (awesome lady, by the way) making another Rey/Dave #1 Contender's match next week, though, I didnt like. It just felt like I'd spent the entire show watching this awesome tournament, only to go back to where we were 2 weeks ago, Rey v Dave, so it was all for absolutely nothing. So I didnt like that, but thats literally my worst complaint about this show, because it was AWESOME.

Oh, no Harts match, by the way. At least not on my airing.

Last edited:

StefanC

I noticed they changed something during this broadcast.
During the standard opening WWE video you usually hear Hogan say: "Hulkamania is running wild" but they now replaced it with DiBiase's "Everyone has a price".

I guess that's a little stab towards Hogan.

DC

Rey/Jericho was so great, like the best 7:19 match you'll see. They just had a great little Rey/Jericho match. Like I said, the last minute of this with the clock counting was incredible. So much win here.
I thought the show was really good, with this match being the best of the night, but I didn't like Rey kicking out of the uber-Codebreaker (a normal one would have been bad enough). I'd have preferred a foot on the ropes rather than a straight kickout.

TPIB

Kudos to StefanC for noticing the change in the opening a couple of weeks after everyone else :lol:

I read on WrestleScoop that they had a 6-Person Tag with Maria, Slam Master J, & Jimmy Wang Yang taking on The Hart Dynasty, but that it was cut from the show for time. The Hart Dynasty won the match and, after the match, Natalya put Maria in the Sharpshooter.

The fact that the match was booked in the first place is a bit puzzling.

Something just hit me; when Bret Hart returns to RAW this Monday and serves as Guest Host, he could bring The Hart Dynasty to RAW. I might be a little slow on realizing this, though :lol:

Last edited:

LilThj

I really loved the rey and jericho match. I think that they have great chemistry in the ring and there matches are always 5 star.

Matt and cm punk was an ok match. When will wwe come to realize that matt will never be like his brother jeff.

Also morrison and drew was good I never realized how althletic morrison actually is .

Batista and r truth was a good match but if batista would have stopped wasting time and just batista bombed truth through the ring he would be number 1 contender.

But overall smackdown was a great show and for another week it was better than raw.

Jimmy Redman

Something just hit me; when Bret Hart returns to RAW this Monday and serves as Guest Host, he could bring The Hart Dynasty to RAW. I might be a little slow on realizing this, though :lol:
In today's WO Update they said they were flying in the Harts for Raw, so its likely.

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
I'd love to see all the Harts together...however the issue will be The Dynasty are heels and I can't see Bret wanting to be a heel.

takemethere

I watched it earlier today. Mysterio/Jericho was a treat, but I thought the Beat The Clock thing as a whole was rubbish. I liked that all the participants were eligible (unlike the last one on RAW), but some of the wrestlers involved were obviously never going to win (Ziggler, R-Truth, Hardy?) We all knew it was going to come down to Mysterio and Batista but at least make it a little less obvious... I can't stand Batista and I expected him to win so I spent most of the show dreading it. I was over the moon when Rey won, until Vickie Guerrero ruined my day. Oh and I thought the Divas angle was quite good, even though the 'Piggie James' thing is awful.