Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - Good Friday 2009

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Frank Erwin Centre - Austin, Texas

TV Schedule:
UK: Sky Sports 3 at 10pm
USA: MyNetwork TV at 8/7c

Come See The First SmackDown after WrestleMania 25. SmackDown TV cameras return to Austin, Texas after 3 years. Experience the energy, see the lights & feel the pyro when SmackDown and ECW are televised from the Frank Erwin Center on Tuesday 7th April at 6pm!
Card subject to change of course, but the Venue Website is hyping a special 6 Man Tag Match.

John Cena, Triple H & Jeff Hardy Vs Edge, Randy Orton & Matt Hardy. If it's not part of the actual broadcast, then it will most likely be a Dark Match

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
ifight365.com

- Matt Hardy cut a promo to open SmackDown. He said he didn't want fans to cheer for his brother so challenged him to a stretcher match later tonight.

- Gail Kim beat Michelle McCool. This didn’t look like the same Gail Kim who looked awesome each week in TNA.

- Big Show beat Kofi Kingston (has the draft already happened?) after the KO punch.

- Santino Marella came out and said since he may get drafted to SmackDown next week, he wanted to issue an open challenge to anybody on the SmackDown roster. The Great Khali came out. He apparently thinks Santina Marella is hot. He tried to get Santino/Santina to do the Kiss Cam instead of them having a match. Santino wasn’t having any of that so Khali beat him.

- Edge hosted a Cutting Edge segment with John Cena as the guest to further the build for Backlash and their Last Man Standing match. New SmackDown GM Teddy Long came out for the live crowd to announce a Cena/Edge main event (dark match).

- Priceless beat Carlito and Primo Colon in a non-title match. Randy Orton (and another!) came out to help pretty much destroy the Colons.

- Matt Hardy beat Jeff Hardy in a Stretcher match. Good match, with Jeff looking to hit the Swanton for the win. Matt moved and Jeff ended up on the stretcher, which Matt wheeled out for the win.
Dark Matches:

- MVP beat Dolph Ziggler in a dark match before the tapings started.

- In the dark match, John Cena beat Edge to retain the World title.

BlackEyed

Santino Marella came out and said since he may get drafted to SmackDown next week, he wanted to issue an open challenge to anybody on the SmackDown roster. The Great Khali came out. He apparently thinks Santina Marella is hot. He tried to get Santino/Santina to do the Kiss Cam instead of them having a match. Santino wasn’t having any of that so Khali beat him.
:lol:

H}{H-Evolution

Why is there a draft at all? It makes no difference to anything.
Easy - for Ratings and Kayfabe-influenced marks, Dave, since those things do still exist in the WWE Universe! :D

DC

Who was the other who helped Orton and Priceless?

H}{H-Evolution

I believe that would be the rumoured 3rd Priceless member...I forget who he is, but I'm sure somebody can dig up the rumour and place a name to the guy.

FreeSpirit

No sorry that's my fault. I edited the spoilers a bit in a rush, and the person writing up the spoilers was complaining of all the RAW guys on the show.

Jimmy Redman

The Cutting Edge segment was awesome. Through not much fault of Edge, mind, but it was by far the best John Cena promo in a long, long time. Its legit probably in the Top Five of maineventer-Cena promos. Really worth a watch.

Stretcher match was OK, similar to Mania: some really cool spots but nothing much in between. I swear to God they had really good chemistry when they wrestled a straight match last year, but maybe its hard to tell if they just have gimmicks. I'm guessing a blow off in a cage or something. They certainly arent afraid to put Matt over though.

Tag match was also OK. I like the idea of Priceless chasing the tag titles, if only for the visual of Legacy holding all the gold. In any case, after the jobbers they've been the entire time they need to find a way to build up Priceless for Backlash.

Michelle's knee on the wall > Randy Orton. Decent match and Gail v Maryse should be equally as decent.

Kofi's promo and his Show match were quite enjoyable. Its simple things like having those backstage interviews for random matches that they dont seem to bother with anymore, and which kills everyone below main event. He also bumped like a champ for Show. He could be useful on Smackdown actually, with a chance to have decently long matches.

Santino Marella.

Chris2K

Todd Grisham as JR's announce position superior should be terminated immediately.

They need to get someone over in the draft to be JR's play by play man, then send Grisham away and have Matthews and Striker on ECW.

TPIB

I say move Matt Striker to SmackDown to work with J.R. and then leave ECW with Grisham & Mathews. They apparently do not care about ECW, why care about the commentary? Either that or move Jerry Lawler to SmackDown and reunite the two and then have Matt Striker go to RAW to work with Michael Cole. I just wish they would fire Grisham already. Putting him on any brand doing anything is a bad idea. The guy is useless.

I keep hoping that, after the Draft, things go back to normal with each brand's Superstars staying on that brand (except for occasional interpromotional matches). The only real exception that I can deal with is having Primo & Carlito defending on all three brands, since they are the tag team champions.

Nemesis Enforcer

Santino continues to be the best thing on any of the brands in which he appears his reaction to Khali wanting to kiss Santina was priceless :lol: