Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - February 12, 2010 from Baton Rouge, LA (#547)

TPIB

Venue
Baton Rouge River Center in Baton Rouge, LA

(SmackDown was taped following ECW on Ferbruary 9)

Confirmed Matches/Events

Non-Title: No DQ:
The Undertaker Vs. Chris Jericho

CM Punk Vs. Rey Mysterio

R-Truth Vs. John Morrison

Build To WWE Elimination Chamber

Last edited:

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
prowrestling.net

WWE Friday Night SmackDown
Airing This Week

The show started with the announcement of the Undertaker facing Chris Jericho in a No DQ match and John Morrison vs. R-Truth will face each other later also. The matches will feature all of the elimination chamber participants facing each other randomly.

1. Rey Mysterio defeated C.M. Punk. The Straightedge Society beat on Rey afterwards.

An NXT commercial was shown and Drew McIntyre came out with a new theme.

2. Drew McIntyre vs. Kane ended in a double countout. Kane chokeslammed McIntyre and said that he wants the IC title.

3. Michelle McCool and Layla defeated Mickie James in a handicap match.

Edge vs. Batista is announced for next week…

4. Matt Hardy and The Great Khali defeated the Hart Dynasty. Matt scored the win with an rollup on Kidd. Maria came out with Matt as his Valentine and she got into a fight with Natalya after the match.

5. R-Truth vs. John Morrison ended in a no-contest because Morrison got injured. Truth and the referees helped Morrison in the back.

Edge came to the ring for commentary.

6. Chris Jericho defeated Undertaker in a No DQ match. Jericho picked up the win with the Codebreaker after Edge speared Taker.
Dark Match:

1. Undertaker defeated Batista a no DQ match for the World Heavyweight Championship. The match ended when the Straight Edge Society, Chris Jericho, Kane and Matt Hardy interfered.

Dave7g

Such a random pairing. Hardy is a good tag wrestler, why not give him somebody decent to pair up with since he's doing nothing at all anymore?

benz19

Apparently undertaker punched him first.

Theres a more detailed article of the tapings on wrestlzone

DC

Well, if 'Taker hit him first, a spear in retaliation isn't really a heel turn. If anything, Undertaker hitting Edge first would make 'Taker turning heel a more logical conclusion, if it was intentional.

Laffy

Wales forever!!!
On pwmania.com Morrison says he broke his ankle in three places but then says he is still going on the international tour and is gong to walk the injury off so i amgoing for a work as you are out for months with a broken ankle.

Jimmy Redman

Morrison - it could be a work at this stage. They started the match, Morrison leapfrogged or something immediately and went down, the ref just stopped the match straight away, he unlaced his boot and Truth was helping him out. The fluidity with which they did all this, plus the fact that they aired it prominently on TV and were all "Injuries can happen anytime" makes me question, because usually if someone is legit injured they try to no-sell it as much as possible. But then Meltzer is reporting it like its real, so who knows.

On Edge, he didnt turn heel. He cut a promo saying he'd love to face Taker and break the streak. Then the match started, they went outside, Taker tried to throw Jericho across the table at Edge, but he moved. Then Taker went to go back inside, he turned around and BAM'd him. So then when Edge recovered he came inside and speared him. It was really Taker who attacked Edge, with only that promo for provocation, and Edge was just retaliating. He didnt turn heel, and neither did Taker for that matter (even though he was an asshole), its all just in that "babyface rivalry" way that they do at a time like this. Plus its at least consistent considering, you know, 2008, which they touched on in commentary as well.

Anywho, show was great as always. I loved Batista's asshole segment immensely. Rey/Punk was FANTASTIC, all of it, the match was great (these guys work really well together), and the post-match was awesome. Luke placing the victim on Punk's shoulders needs to happen FOREVER, and Punk says "I can save you Rey!" and you (hopefully) have your feud. Great stuff there.

I need to watch Drew's entrance again and see if its great or awful. At first I just thought it was a video package. Plus I liked his old music.

LilThj

I love drews new entrance. So I guess we will see kane vs drew for the intercontinental title soon.

Tommate2k9

just watching smackdown now and holy shit how ****ed did matt hardy look?! I know he likes his drink but i could save it for after the show'

DC

Random thoughts as I watch the show...
  • Rey v Punk was a great match. These two just work so well together and compliment the style of the other. I also got a dig out of Striker calling Punk a Second City Saint. The finish was absolutely fantastic.

• Gallows got some really good heat with his post-match beatdown on Rey. I guess that could be more down to Rey's overness, but it was still nice. The visual image on Punk on his knees, arms outstretched and face like thunder, as Luke places Rey on his shoulders was amazing.

• There was a comment in the opener that, when you think of Morrison's injury and whether it's real or a work, gives credence to the latter. Striker was talking about the Elimination Chamber match and said "you also have to keep in mind injuries. Remember, we're two weeks away from what could be the biggest night of their lives". Was he setting up Morrison's mishap?

• A nice ripple of jeering just for Drew's face appearing on the TitanTron, which is always a good thing. I was a bit wary when I read his music had changed, but this suits his character so much better and the start to the video is great. I have high hopes for him, well I did anyway, but if WWE are going out of their way to give him a more custom entrance AND make it a big deal with the camerawork, then you know that things are going well.

• Kane's opening pyro blast (and his corner blasts) will never get old. It (they) alway has (have) a great reaction every single time, no matter how good or bad Kane is being booked to come across. Drew being all "big man with the mouth" until Kane appeared was great.

• What a great cheer for Vickie getting slopped again. :lol:

• And what a boo for her coming out during the Mickie/Layla match.

• The video package of Batista's last few weeks was a great bit of footage. It does give you genuine sense of "why" when you watch it.

• Batista coming down the ramp with a spotlight instead of doing his pyro-guns is a great example of a little touch helping the heel persona to avoid cheers from the crowd. Doing that and also ditching the rope-shaking before the Batista Bomb are such subtle things, but they mean so much.

• I'm worried that Josh Mathews is going to get massacred before the end of this segment.

• The fans going nuts for Dave just walking around the ringside area was brilliant. Goes to show you how over as a heel Batista has become in a short space of time.... and when he dropped the mic and just left, I got goosebumps at the crowd reaction. Teasing the crowd and milking it for everything he can, Dave deserves a ton of credit for the way he pulled this off.

• Does Matt Hardy have to get pissed to team with Khali? Is that the only way he can get through the day? :lol:

• Smith running from Khali and tagging in Kidd was funny.

• DiBiase kicking the basketball is one of the greatest heel moments ever. I wonder who's going to induct him into the HoF? I'm hoping for IRS.

• Watching the spot where Morrison was injured, I'd be inclined to say it's a work. Not calling the EMTs down and the ref just calmly announcing the reason for stopping the match makes me think it's just an angle. There didn't appear to be any actual twisting of the ankle, but the impact could cause some damage. For me, though, it's not a legit injury from that spot.

• Edge's promo was pretty good, but it started to ramble on. OOOOH! Edge and Jericho finally face-to-face on Smackdown, this could be interesting.

• OK, that was a really nice verbal exchange and it sets up the expected Edge/Jericho match at 'Mania.

• Undertaker/Jericho was another solid match between the two, but the finish was great (so happy Jericho got the "clean" win). I'm really impressed with the way WWE have managed to cloud the truly obvious when it comes to who will face off at WrestleMania. Wrestlers are going forward with more than one option and it's refreshing.

• I will say this though, whoever said Undertaker punched Edge really needs their eyes tested. ;)
Morrison leapfrogged or something
It's called the Lady in the Lake. Some people mix that name up with the Johnny Saint Ball, but that's what it's called.

Last edited:

Nimf

Subscriber
Whether the Morrison injury is the real deal or not, I still wanted to cuddle him. It was the way he called out half heartedly to the ref something like "no don't". It was frankly rather adorable.

I officially hate Jerichos music - there's a beeping in it that sounds like my washing machine finishing a load and it confuses the HELL out of me. I do however love Drew's new music. I think I am developing a crush on him...

Da Showstoppa

Batista's "promo" was excellently done, I'm actually starting to look forward to Cena and him colliding.

Liz has just watched Smackdown and is annoyed about Morrison, she feels as I do that the injury is an angle designed to open up a spot in the EC for Shawn. And having noted that Shawn knocked off JoMo in the last three Royal Rumbles (and Triple H, this year) she is seriosly beginning to dislike HBK.

CM Punk and Rey was a nice match, and Drew's new entrance looked good, as did his cowardly reaction to facing Kane.

Smackdown is cementing itself as the "A" show with each passing week.